What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #10,256
Ivan Seeking said:
Ten years ago, I started working out again. Eight years ago, I was in fantastic physical condition. But slowly I started putting on a few pounds here and there. About five years ago I started falling away from my routines [both diet and exercise]. Then I had a major health crisis that set me back big time. In fact, I almost died. When Covid hit I tried to work out with a mask on, but that was impossible. And Grub Hub has been a disaster! LOL!!!

But I'm back on my program now and kicking butt! I'm back on keto, doing HIIT on the elliptical, weightlifting, and swimming; shedding the extra weight like crazy. I'm fit and tight and feel like a million bucks! There are days when I truly feel like I'm 25 again. HIIT is amazingly effective! It can change your life!
I keep running into a couple of fit, relatively young guys at the gym, lifting weights. I would guess they are mid twenties or so. One seems to be knowledgeable as a trainer but they both work out. And I've noticed that in spite of my 35 year or so age disadvantage, I seem to lift as much or more than they do. And I do about twice as many sets as they do in the same amount of time. We talk but I've of course never said anything about performance levels.

But last night, without provocation, they explained to me why this is happening - I have "old man strength"! Yes, apparently as we age, we naturally get stronger than young men in their prime. And all this time I thought it took lots of hard work to get in shape! Heck, by the time I reach 100 I'll be superman!

Likes BillTre
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #10,257
Ivan Seeking said:
You dreamed that you have a government job. :nb)
Well, would you rather have a job where you knew what you were supposed to be doing and why, but the answers were mundane, or a job where nothing makes sense but you can speculate about the possible meaning behind it?

I guess maybe it depends on what kind of speculation the evidence leads you to and how optimistic you are.

Maybe sometimes, as Creed from The Office once said, "You have more fun as a follower but you make more money as a leader."

• #10,258
Ivan Seeking said:
I keep running into a couple of fit, relatively young guys at the gym, lifting weights. I would guess they are mid twenties or so. One seems to be knowledgeable as a trainer but they both work out. And I've noticed that in spite of my 35 year or so age disadvantage, I seem to lift as much or more than they do. And I do about twice as many sets as they do in the same amount of time. We talk but I've of course never said anything about performance levels.

But last night, without provocation, they explained to me why this is happening - I have "old man strength"! Yes, apparently as we age, we naturally get stronger than young men in their prime. And all this time I thought it took lots of hard work to get in shape! Heck, by the time I reach 100 I'll be superman!
I was at my best shape as a one-year old. People would tell me: " You look like you're zero!"

Likes Ivan Seeking
  • #10,260
Astronuc said:
Various media outlets report, "Elizabeth Holmes tried to ‘flee’ US with one-way Mexico ticket" according to prosecutors
Ticket? Makes her look sheltered. I believe she was in California. How about renting a car and heading down the border?

Likes BillTre
  • #10,261
I'm getting old. And since I quit smoking I am far more nervous and make a hell lotta more stupid mistakes than ever. At least the divisionals went my way.

• Sad
Likes pinball1970
  • #10,262
fresh_42 said:
I'm getting old. And since I quit smoking I am far more nervous and make a hell lotta more stupid mistakes than ever. At least the divisionals went my way.
Milestones can help with this sort of thing.

You may have seen something like this?

https://www.healthline.com/health/what-happens-when-you-quit-smoking#one-month
some of the language is a little messy but based on real changes.

How many weeks? Months?

Likes WWGD and fresh_42
  • #10,263
pinball1970 said:
How many weeks? Months?
April last year (eye surgery), but I had 11 in between, the last one on last year's last day. I don't want the addiction to winning, so I had a cigarette once in a while. However, that is not "smoking" in the sense that it used to be. I miss the "doping" effect.

• #10,264
fresh_42 said:
April last year (eye surgery), but I had 11 in between, the last one on last year's last day. I don't want the addiction to winning, so I had a cigarette once in a while. However, that is not "smoking" in the sense that it used to be. I miss the "doping" effect.
That is better than better than smoking every day, just over one per month from April 2022.
You are on day 23 zero cigarettes now with only 9 months one per day behind that?

I take it you have tried gum/patches rather than a smoke to curb the cravings?

Get the hit without damaging your cells?

I will shut up now, I have been in your position and it is not easy, got through it but needed constant hassle off my Ex gf and son.

• #10,265
fresh_42 said:

pinball1970 said:
not easy,
Try stroke...one scary "cold turkey"...October, 2015.

• Wow
Likes pinball1970
  • #10,266
I quit over 25 years ago when I couldn't breathe in the morning. That gets your attention pretty quick.

Likes Astronuc and pinball1970
  • #10,267
My friend takes his dog to the park weekly. He makes up a breed each time they ask. What type of dog is that?A Newtonian Kerkuffle.

Last edited:
Likes BillTre
  • #10,268
An attention getting headline - Giant Wind Turbines Keep Mysteriously Falling Over. This Shouldn't Be Happening.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/giant-wind-turbines-keep-mysteriously-180400058.html
Wind turbine failures are on the uptick, from Oklahoma to Sweden and Colorado to Germany, with all three of the major manufacturers admitting that the race to create bigger turbines has invited manufacturing issues, according to a report from Bloomberg.

Multiple turbines that are taller than 750 feet are collapsing across the world, with the tallest—784 feet in stature—falling in Germany in September 2021. To put it in perspective, those turbines are taller than both the Space Needle in Seattle and the Washington Monument in Washington, D.C. Even smaller turbines that recently took a tumble in Oklahoma, Wisconsin, England, and Colorado were about the height of the Statue of Liberty.
Skimping one the design/construction?

But right! It shouldn't be happening.

• #10,269
Astronuc said:
An attention getting headline - Giant Wind Turbines Keep Mysteriously Falling Over. This Shouldn't Be Happening.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/giant-wind-turbines-keep-mysteriously-180400058.html

Skimping one the design/construction?

But right! It shouldn't be happening.
I have just today seen a case where a blade has broken. There are carbon fibers and plastic all over the place. The place is several acres of farmland. The farmer has been told not to use his land until evidence of proof will have been secured. What was once meant to produce green energy factually produced hazardous waste that cannot be totally removed anymore. And you bet, the companies, e.g. GE, and public administrations involved play the well-known game "We are not responsible. They are!"

• #10,270
Borg said:
I quit over 25 years ago when I couldn't breathe in the morning. That gets your attention pretty quick.
Why couldn't you smoke in the afternoon if you could breathe by then?

• Sad
Likes Tom.G
  • #10,271
Ivan Seeking said:
Why couldn't you smoke in the afternoon if you could breathe by then?
Because you can't smoke in the afternoon if you stop breathing in the morning?

• Haha
Likes Ivan Seeking and fresh_42
  • #10,272
Oi, help a foreigner here. The celebrated 'ad' for the turboencabulator includes a 'reciprocating dingle arm'. I've just realised I've no idea what dingle means. So, checking the dictionaries, it appears to be a small wooded vale.
Now, for the question: how would you explain the joke here? Is it just the complete absurdity of using a word that doesn't make any sense in the context, on the assumption that most people won't know it anyway and will themselves assume it to mean something technical?
Or is there some other meaning to 'dingle'?

• #10,273
Bandersnatch said:
Is it just the complete absurdity of using a word that doesn't make any sense in the context,
Methinks you have smote the nail on its head...nonsense is nonsense is....

• #10,274
I worked on a ship as a deckhand over summers when I was in college. When I first got on board, the othe deckhands had me running around looking for something like a "universal bearing".
It was completely made up and everyone had fun. They laughed. I did less work and learned my way around the ship.

That's what the "turboencabulator" and "reciprocating dingle arm" sound like to me.

Similar to the "oscillator overthruster" and the "flux capacitor".

Last edited:
Likes Ivan Seeking and WWGD
  • #10,275
BillTre said:
I worked on a ship as a deckhand over summers when I was in college. When I first got on board , the othe deckhands had me running around looking for something like a "universal bearing".
It was completely made up and everyone had fun. They laughed. I did less work and learned my way around the ship.

That's what the "turboencabulator" and "reciprocating dingle arm" sound like to me.
In the Boy Scouts, it was a bacon stretcher.

...and in Cub Scouts, tree snipes.

Likes dlgoff and BillTre
  • #10,276
So, in physics that would be the Grand Unified Theory?

• Haha
Likes Ivan Seeking, BillTre and pinball1970
  • #10,277
Borg said:
So, in physics that would be the Grand Unified Theory?
Well, at least we know UFOs [er... UAPs] are real. That should offer some comfort. :olduhh:

• Skeptical
Likes collinsmark
  • #10,279
I hate the Lume commercials. I don't want to hear about her butt-crack odor!

Then she threatens to show how to apply it to her butt, and instead uses her face as her butt. Okay...

Very few commercials actually annoy me but that one does. I always want to cringe.

• #10,280
Ivan Seeking said:

Then she threatens to show how to apply it to her butt, and instead uses her face as her butt. Okay...

Very few commercials actually annoy me but that one does. I always want to cringe.
There's often posts which pique my curiousity enough to research the subject matter.

This wasn't one of them.

• Haha
Likes Tom.G
  • #10,281
hmmm27 said:
There's often posts which pique my curiousity enough to research the subject matter.

This wasn't one of them.
cringeworthy

Some commercials are downright brilliant.

• #10,282
When I broke up with my last GF, I banned myself from dating until I get back in shape. I still need to lose more weight, but I've hit my minimum goal. I'm down two pant sizes in 15 weeks of busting my butt and strict keto. I'll keep losing weight until I can get into my 34s again, but it's time to hit the dating sites.

I chase women who are far, far too young and beautiful for me. But with the internet, that can be reduced to a math problem. I may have to interact with between 200 to 500 women before I find my next GF, but there is always someone amazing out there who is into older men. I just have to look long enough, be smart enough, and try hard enough. But that game gets very long if I'm not in peak shape. Gotta be at the top of my game! That's why after ten years, for the first time I decided to take a break.

I sort of dread the search at first. But after a bit I start getting into it. It is a challenge and I've gotten good at this. And no woman can intimidate me anymore. I'll approach a 25 yo supermodel if I get a reasonable chance. And you wouldn't believe some of the women I've seen! Luck favors the bold.

Ten years ago, when my ex and I split, I challenged myself: If I'm so damn smart, then figure out how to find and spend time with the women of my dreams. And that's just what I've been doing. I made a science of dating.

PS. I have no intention of getting married again, and that is part of the key to my success. They have to know that I know I can't keep them. We just enjoy each other's company for as long as it lasts, and then we move on - no hard feelings. Just living in the moment.

Last edited:
  • #10,283
Ivan Seeking said:

I just heard that commercial and I agree. :doh:

• Haha
Likes Ivan Seeking
  • #10,284
A funny little trick I learned. One night I was on my way to meet someone for a first date. But as I was driving there, I was stressing over work. I realized that I had to figure out how to shake the stress from the day before meeting someone. I have be upbeat, cheerful, witty, funny, charming, and whatever else it takes. :) But Donny Downer is a no go! Then I remembered something I had heard: While good feelings and humor can cause smiling and laughing, it goes both ways! Forcing yourself to smile and laugh will make you feel better! You can force yourself to cheer up! And that was the solution. Ever since then, while getting ready or driving to a date, I force myself to smile and laugh until I feel like smiling and laughing. It works every time!

Gotta go work out now.

Likes pinball1970
  • #10,285
Ivan Seeking said:
A funny little trick I learned. One night I was on my way to meet someone for a first date. But as I was driving there, I was stressing over work. I realized that I had to figure out how to shake the stress from the day before meeting someone. I have be upbeat, cheerful, witty, funny, charming, and whatever else it takes. :) But Donny Downer is a no go! Then I remembered something I had heard: While good feelings and humor can cause smiling and laughing, it goes both ways! Forcing yourself to smile and laugh will make you feel better! You can force yourself to cheer up! And that was the solution. Ever since then, while getting ready or driving to a date, I force myself to smile and laugh until I feel like smiling and laughing. It works every time!

Gotta go work out now.
Your posts about working out are inspiring me to up my game. Some nasty chest infections around xmas messed up training. Drs have changed meds and actually told me to start training to keep the right side of BMI. Currently 26, best to get to 25.
Say about 7-10lbs off.

Likes Ivan Seeking and WWGD
  • #10,286
pinball1970 said:
Your posts about working out are inspiring me to up my game. Some nasty chest infections around xmas messed up training. Drs have changed meds and actually told me to start training to keep the right side of BMI. Currently 26, best to get to 25.
Say about 7-10lbs off.
Ive incentivized myself by using a step tracker app, which counts number of steps( obvious ), distance and time. Aiming for 6k steps a day, including stairs and hills. Maybe it can be an incentive for you too.

Likes Ivan Seeking and pinball1970
  • #10,287
pinball1970 said:
Say about 7-10lbs off.
Excellent!

I was in great shape but then started sliding. Then a major health event, injuries, and Covid prevented me from doing much of anything for 4 years. I decided I have to get back in shape NOW! In fact, it may be now or never. The older we get, the harder it is to bounce back.

Likes pinball1970
  • #10,288
Getting fit is contagious! Three guys at work are back on their programs because I started back on mine.

We have great facilities where I live. But through work we get a free membership at the local YMCA, which has amazing equipment. You wear an RFID tag like a watch which each machine reads. The machine then automatically sets your weight, with one weight set while extending, and a different weight set while retracting! And it automatically increases your weights over time. How cool is that!!!!

I like using our gym because it's convenient and reasonably equipped. I just throw on my sweats and walk to the gym in 5 minutes. No driving or locker room or crowds. And I almost always have it all to myself. But I have to admit that the stuff at the Y is very cool!

I personally don't use BMI. It doesn't take into account people who work out and have increased muscle mass. I actually gained back all the weight I lost ten years ago. But I was two pant sizes smaller than before. The difference is the amount of muscle added the first round! But the BMI would suggest that there was no difference.

I don't own a scale either. My belt size tells me all I need to know.

Likes pinball1970
  • #10,289
Anyone watching the Chiefs vs Bengals football game? Now 3 to 0 KC.

• #10,290
dlgoff said:
Anyone watching the Chiefs vs Bengals football game? Now 3 to 0 KC.

Is that a croquet or a polo match?

• Haha
Likes WWGD and dlgoff