What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 763K views
WWGD said:
I feel too lazy to look up if ' Neanderthal' is an anagram of ' Netherlands'.
There's an app for that!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Keith_McClary said:
There's an app for that!
Every time I ask for an app, that I need an app, they suggest I go sleep .
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary and berkeman
WWGD said:
Which is?
verbessern = improve
verschlimmern = make worse

Result: "verschlimmbessern" meaning: meant to be an improvement but ended up worse
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
And the action is said to be verschlimmbessernisticexpialidotious
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
WWGD said:
And the action is said to be verschlimmbessernisticexpialidotious
Nope. Just a short ending: -ung.
 
fresh_42 said:
Nope. Just a short ending: -ung.
No fun.
 
WWGD said:
Some times companies seem to feel the need to always be changing something, I guess to make themselves feel more dynamic. Then they make changes to things that are working and make them worse.
The new app has added functionality, so if your phone has NFC you can buy tickets on their contactless cards without going near a ticket office and their queues of COVID incubators people. So that's an improvement. Why they felt the need to muck around with the perfectly functional dashboard and replace it with a sleeker and less usable one, though, I don't know.
fresh_42 said:
Result: "verschlimmbessern" meaning: meant to be an improvement but ended up worse
I think I'm going to try to get that one adopted in English, like schadenfreude. "The app is verschlimmbessern" or "the app developers did something verschlimmbessernung" - am I doing that right?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
Ibix said:
The new app has added functionality, so if your phone has NFC you can buy tickets on their contactless cards without going near a ticket office and their queues of COVID incubators people. So that's an improvement. Why they felt the need to muck around with the perfectly functional dashboard and replace it with a sleeker and less usable one, though, I don't know.

I think I'm going to try to get that one adopted in English, like schadenfreude. "The app is verschlimmbessern" or "the app developers did something verschlimmbessernung" - am I doing that right?
Well, we have real conjugation and declination, not just three 's' for plural and genitive, and third person, or an 'ed' for past tense.


I think I'm going to try to get that one adopted in English, like schadenfreude. "The app is verschlimmbessern t it" or "the app developers did something a Verschlimmbessernung". The 'n' is only in the indicative. Anyway, drop the 'c' and it is even pronounced correctly, so no big deal.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix
Ibix said:
Thanks. It's a word we need, if we don't already have some funny neologism I haven't heard of.
Exprovement?
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron, Ibix, WWGD and 2 others
Ibix said:
Thanks. It's a word we need, if we don't already have some funny neologism I haven't heard of.

Besserung is pretty much the same as betterment. The word 'schlimm' comes from old German 'slimp' (slanting, awry). It became 'schlimm' (unwell) in German and 'slim' in English.

So if you do not want to fall back to the Latin suggestion by @Jonathan Scott then try 'Shlimbetterment'. Slim betterment sounds nice, too. I like the sarcasm in it.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
fresh_42 said:
Well, we have real conjugation and declination, not just three 's' for plural and genitive, and third person, or an 'ed' for past tense.


I think I'm going to try to get that one adopted in English, like schadenfreude. "The app is verschlimmbessern t it" or "the app developers did something a Verschlimmbessernung". The 'n' is only in the indicative. Anyway, drop the 'c' and it is even pronounced correctly, so no big deal.
main-qimg-2a428030873f5b81ac475b5fffdc5a2c-pjlq.jpeg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
Jonathan Scott said:
Exprovement?
Just like with increment, decrement, excrement.
 
fresh_42 said:
Still moderate. Russian has eight or nine cases IIRC.
I bet Chinese has even more.
 
Marking the date. First day ever calling customer service that I don't get a message telling me they're experiencing an unexpectedly high number of calls.

Just like this supermarket product that is perpetually on sale.
 
WWGD said:
Marking the date. First day ever calling customer service that I don't get a message telling me they're experiencing an unexpectedly high number of calls.

Just like this supermarket product that is perpetually on sale.
So they were experiencing an unexpectedly high number of long calls? :wink:
 
WWGD said:
Marking the date. First day ever calling customer service that I don't get a message telling me they're experiencing an unexpectedly high number of calls.

Just like this supermarket product that is perpetually on sale.
But was your call very important to them?
 
Borg said:
But was your call very important to them?
They kept asking me to visit the website. The website suggests I can call instead, and provides several numbers ?? Worse is now they've paired up with Fedex, who just leaves stickers with alpha numerical strings, but without names nor apt numbers. How do you figure who they're for?
 
fresh_42 said:

Al Bundy's Ed O' Neill is a martial arts expert. Still not enough to get through custo service. I miss those reruns.
 
Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
Nope. Just a short ending: -ung.
Just reminds me of Gotterdamerung ( Sp). I've looked up the word a few times just to forget what it is. Harder to do on the phone. I just remember the root ' God's.
 
WWGD said:
Al Bundy's Ed O' Neill is a martial arts expert. Still not enough to get through custo service. I miss those reruns.
A classic. I wish I still had a TV to watch it. This and Book TV from C-Span. I used to enjoy the History Channel too, until they jumped the shark and started airing shows like ' Ancient Aliens'.
 
Unashamedly consumed nothing but an entire rotisserie chicken and Tabasco sauce for lunch today after seeing one selling for £2.50.
 
ergospherical said:
Unashamedly consumed nothing but an entire rotisserie chicken and Tabasco sauce for lunch today after seeing one selling for £2.50.
Prepare for the Götterdämmerung!
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: ergospherical, WWGD and berkeman
ergospherical said:
Unashamedly consumed nothing but an entire rotisserie chicken and Tabasco sauce for lunch today after seeing one selling for £2.50.
That's extremely cheap. Maybe it was a Fukushima chicken that grows back when you eat it?
 
WWGD said:
That's extremely cheap. Maybe it was a Fukushima chicken that grows back when you eat it?
The surprising thing is that the supermarket was also M&S, which is one of the pricier establishments round these parts. If you make an effort to go just before closing time, there's usually a ton of those yellow "reduced" stickers (especially, as might be expected, in the meat/fish/veg/bread sections) and I've managed to snag some pretty great stuff for cheaps. But this time it was midday...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
The rotisserie chickens in food stores around here are usually $5 to $7 (US) which is a good deal. I think the food stores sell them at a loss hoping customers come in and buy other items. In a restaurant they are much higher (I see 1/2 chicken for $8.50).

£2.50 is a real bargain, ~$3.40.
 
gmax137 said:
The rotisserie chickens in food stores around here are usually $5 to $7 (US) which is a good deal. I think the food stores sell them at a loss hoping customers come in and buy other items. In a restaurant they are much higher (I see 1/2 chicken for $8.50).

£2.50 is a real bargain, ~$3.40.
I heard of that as being a " loss leader" in restaurants mostly. You lose on it, but , as you said, it brings in the customers. It was in that Tv show with this guy who tried to turn around bars mostly; a slight difference with Ramsey.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Jodo
WWGD said:
I heard of that as being a " loss leader" in restaurants mostly. You lose on it, but , as you said, it brings in the customers. It was in that Tv show with this guy who tried to turn around bars mostly; a slight difference with Ramsey.
It was called " Bar Rescue", by Jon Taffer. A sort of bar version of Ramsey's restaurant show. I thought it was a fun show.