What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 757K views
The best sound at Formula E races are the many Diesel generators they use to charge their batteries.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff
Physics news on Phys.org
Lyons Magnus, which recalled 53 beverages including Oatly, Glucerna and Premier Protein drinks last month, has added more than 30 more drinks to the call back due to potential for botulism contamination as well as the previously mentioned Cronobacter sakazakii threat.

"This recall is being conducted due to the potential for microbial contamination, including from the organisms Cronobacter sakazakii and Clostridium botulinum," the Food and Drug Administration said in a release Wednesday. "Although Clostridium botulinum has not been found in products, consumers are warned not to consume any of the recalled products even if they do not look or smell spoiled."
https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...botulism-threat-ensure-pediasure/10300835002/
 
dlgoff said:
I think I'm going to scream if I get one more telephone call from Spectrum TV.
I really wish you would do that. It should confuse the heck out of the caller.

(I once pretended to be in deep dementia when I received a marketing call. I managed to waste quite a bit of their time, although in the end I couldn't suppress my laughter.)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff and BillTre
dlgoff said:
I tried to do that on the do not call directory, and couldn't find a way to get that number blocked. Something strange going on with that site.
The stated intent of that 'Do Not Call List' is you put your number on it so the scammers don't waste their time with you. (theoretically you've already told them No)

However, so-called Common Knowledge claims it is just another source of live, active numbers.

Here in the U.S., the phone companies allow you to enter numbers to block from getting through to you. This can help with that annoying neighbor down the street... but the scammers will randomly pick phone numbers for your Caller ID display.

An answering machine on your line helps quite a bit. Most incoming scam/spam calls will disconnect when they hear the Beep of the machine ready to take a message.

Good Luck!

[rant]
We moved about 5 years ago and got a new phone number... Peace and Quiet for over a year. Then my wife supplied our new number to an on-line business when placing an order, saying 'this one is alright.' Not! Last calendar year we reaped about 1,000 spam calls. Slowed way down this year so I haven't been tracking it.
[/rant]
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff
Reading the comments section of a political news story is like sticking your head in a cesspool. :oldruck:
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
Borg said:
Reading the comments section of a political news story is like sticking your head in a cesspool. :oldruck:
_nc_ohc=0zRTA2wroOcAX8ZIAAU&_nc_ht=scontent-muc2-1.jpg
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: BillTre, Borg and Rive
strangerep said:
I really wish you would do that. It should confuse the heck out of the caller.

(I once pretended to be in deep dementia when I received a marketing call. I managed to waste quite a bit of their time, although in the end I couldn't suppress my laughter.)
I stutter in a really, really chronic way. See how long they would take.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: strangerep and fresh_42
This Nevada home is supposedly the one the Simpson's home was modeled after
20220812_155429.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
Strange day, three people I've never met, talking with me, seem happy to see me. I guess I look like someone else. Fortunately, it seems someone who's nice enough, and not the person who owes them money and/or is sleeping with their girlfriend or wife.
 
Some days I really, really, really have to work harder to maintain inner peace.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Rive and fresh_42
Borg said:
Some days I really, really, really have to work harder to maintain inner peace.
Oh yes. Indeed! And then imagine I am on day 127 smoke-free. It is really hard on those days to keep it counting.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970, WWGD, berkeman and 1 other person
I was a two pack a day smoker when I quit over 26 years ago. Hang in there. It does get easier.
 
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970, WWGD, berkeman and 1 other person
My mom said it is easy to quit smoking because "I have done it 12 times!"
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
fresh_42 said:
Dying from whatever quits whatever.
The dying operator annihilates all states
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
I stopped drinking, using drugs and eating junk food. Worse 15 minutes of my life.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970
malawi_glenn said:
The dying operator annihilates all states
Life is the leading cause of death. 100% fatality rate.
 
WWGD said:
Life is the leading cause of death. 100% fatality rate.
Life is a terminal disease.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
BillTre said:
Life is a terminal disease.
Food is a drug. Quitting food can lead to severe cases of abstinence issues including a feeling of hunger, strong cravings to eat, nausea, delirium, and even death.
 
  • Wow
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: malawi_glenn and pinball1970
Orodruin said:
Food is a drug. Quitting food can lead to severe cases of abstinence issues including a feeling of hunger, strong cravings to eat, nausea, delirium, and even death.
wow that's worse than heroine!
Gonna withstand the peer pressure next time my collegues are asking if I want to join them for lunch.
Say no to drugs kids!
 
malawi_glenn said:
Say no to drugs kids!
Many kids do, but their parents keep insisting. Talk about getting them early…
 
I suspect Superman's opposition to Krypto currency may be biased .
 
The above referenced article is very hard to read due to the character font in use. Doing a copy-and-paste of the text into your favorite editor makes it readable, and interesting.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: hmmm27