What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
Orodruin said:
Leche de cabron?
Yes. Cabra would have been correct.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
I don't mean to imply he's insane or something, I just found it a bit unusual.
Not if you happen to be in his kitchen at the time.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD

TikToker’s theft recovery iPhone hack sparks debate​

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/tech...ecovery-iphone-hack-sparks-debate/ar-AA10pIfY

A TikToker's viral theft-recovery iPhone hack sparked debate in the comments about whether knowing the location of a stolen device is helpful if there's no way to retrieve it.

The creator, Katrina Audrey (@katrinaforeal), shared her own iPhone theft story and walked users through a step-by-step process of how to find your iPhone's location, even if the device has been turned off. Her video has received over 11.5 million views.

"You need to do this iPhone hack in case your phone gets stolen because mine did last night, and I actually got it back," Katrina says. She adds that she learned the hack from @reviewingtech on Instagram.
 
pinball1970 said:
Not if you happen to be in his kitchen at the time.
He ultimately explained he had received them from a food pantry and did not want them. But, yes, it's kind of bizarre.
 
Two more for my list of triple syllable phrases:
The Waikiki kiss
The Lolo Lovers ( Lolo is weed in Hawaian)

Happy Birthday, Singapore, Independence from Malaysia in Aug 9, 1965. Isn't @atyy Singaporean?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: atyy
Why is the routing table metric for my 127.0.0.1 loopback equal to 331??

After reading the article on Routing tables, I still have no idea on how to route a table!
 
WWGD said:
I still have no idea on how to route a table!

1660088795992.png
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and WWGD
fresh_42 said:
Can it be that Samuel Clemens's sayings are better than his books? Not that the latter are bad.
How so?
 
Our internet knot achieved a new record yesterday: 12Tbit/s.

... I wonder whether this explains that I was several times randomly off-line.
 
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: malawi_glenn and pinball1970
I received my full on hair cut a few days back, the number 0. Several acquaintances apparently didnt recognize me. So maybe the whole Clark Kent/ Superman thing is believable after all.
 
My friend wants to quit smoking. I suggested he go to De Vice Manager and just delete smoking.
 
Google's algorithms are the best. I mean, you know, sometimes you have a song in mind, or better, a certain line of the lyrics, but you neither know the band nor the exact title. What shall I say: first hit on YouTube after typing "yo". Eerie.
 
fresh_42 said:
Google's algorithms are the best. I mean, you know, sometimes you have a song in mind, or better, a certain line of the lyrics, but you neither know the band nor the exact title. What shall I say: first hit on YouTube after typing "yo". Eerie.
1660172325590.png

?
Or maybe it's a \Whoosh for me?
 
Last edited:
Gwaah! :oldcry:

My telescope's declination runaway problem is back again.

The optical encoders arrived, but they're the wrong bore size (the size of the shaft they fit on). I didn't realize they had multiple versions, and I was just going by the photo they had for it. But the same photo is used for multiple versions. That's a week* lost and a hundred bucks down the drain.

Doing some more digging, I need exactly the US Digital part, "E4T-256-091-S-D-D-2" (to be a drop-in replacement for my existing encoders, which are now obsolete). And unfortunately, Digi-Key, or any other online supplier, doesn't carry that exact part as far as I can find.

So I guess I need to call US Digital in the morning and hope they can ship me a couple directly.

*(I was able to coax a little out of the telescope in the mean time. Sometimes the existing encoder works. Sometimes.)
 
  • Sad
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
I think I'm going to scream if I get one more telephone call from Spectrum TV.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark
Spoke with US Digital today, and they're sending a new set of encoders (they were in-stock!). 'Should probably arrive next week.

If I have more to add, I might do it in a new thread. It's starting to look like I have enough content on this telescope encoder replacement topic for its own thread.
 
When McD orders not picked up after 2 min or so: How about an auction?
 
dlgoff said:
I think I'm going to scream if I get one more telephone call from Spectrum TV.
I don't pickup if I don't recognize the number. I text them asking who's calling.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
WWGD said:
I don't pickup if I don't recognize the number. I text them asking who's calling.
On my land line, there's no number to see.
 
dlgoff said:
On my land line, there's no number to see.
Smoke Signals?
 
  • Sad
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff
WWGD said:
Smoke Signals?
Sorry, DL. Cant you ask to be removed or be added to the do not call directory?
 
WWGD said:
Only recently I found out who IT referred to. As if everyone knew except for me.
I once introduced myself as the new boss of IT with the words: "Hello! I am the new culprit!"
 
fresh_42 said:
I once introduced myself as the new boss of IT with the words: "Hello! I am the new culprit!"
CulprIT?
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
WWGD said:
Sorry, DL. Cant you ask to be removed or be added to the do not call directory?
I tried to do that on the do not call directory, and couldn't find a way to get that number blocked. Something strange going on with that site.

edit: "On my land line, there's no number to see." But I could find it on their website.
 
Last edited:
  • Sad
Likes   Reactions: WWGD