What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 757K views
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Are you going to do it, too? :biggrin:
OK I will try. :biggrin:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky
Physics news on Phys.org
Pepper Mint said:
OK I will try. :biggrin:
YAY. Go Pepper Mint! The prompts for this year are pretty awesome and I've got so many ideas already. I love it when people are willing to do stuff like this. :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Psinter, Pepper Mint, beamie564 and 1 other person
Maybe it is not such a good form , when you're competitor says " may the best person win" , to say " Thanks!".
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Inktober is in five days ##\Longrightarrow## In five days, it's going to be a holiday.
What is that? Edit: Oh, nevermind, I saw the link.
WWGD said:
Maybe it is not such a good form , when you're competitor says " may the best person win" , to say " Thanks!".
The correct polite way should be: "Pft. Robert, please, you know I will win."
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Pepper Mint and ProfuselyQuarky
Strange sign at a Hillary rally: " Love Trumps war". Why would anyone love Trump's war? And why would they be in Hillary's rally? Then I realized there was no apostrophe in 'Trumps'. Still, pretty weird phrasing. How about: " Love Trumps War, but Trump Loves War"?
 
Good reason to visit Manchester
Archaeologists have uncovered a forgotten 200-year-old pub beneath the city of Manchester, England. And the best part? It still has full, untouched bottles of brandy inside, The Independent reports. Archaeologists discovered the underground pub — once known as the Astley Arms — when they were brought into inspect the site of a future skyscraper. During the excavation, they found pottery belonging to Thomas Evans, who was the landlord of Astley Arms in 1821.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/3d6b213a-af43-3df2-a809-91e5336042e7/ss_archaeologists-discover-18th.html
 
Last edited by a moderator:
WWGD said:
And why would they be in Hillary's rally?


Probably an antiwar statement. Some folks think Hillary is hawkish .

i hope Salon is an acceptable source. (Wikipedia says they're liberal.)
http://www.salon.com/2015/09/10/wha...o_forget_her_disastrous_record_as_a_war_hawk/

It’s not just Libya, though. Almost every time there was an internal disagreement within the Obama administration about whether to use force, Clinton could be found on the interventionist side. She successfully pushed for an escalation of the war in Afghanistan, and has been open about her desire to intervene further in Syria.


old jim
 
jim hardy said:
Probably an antiwar statement. Some folks think Hillary is hawkish .
Me, e.g.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky
Says will be there at 1:00 PM, but arrives earlier and only opens the door at 1:01 PM. Then says on purpose: "I'm sorry I'm late..."

Edit: 999
 
Well I'd never expect that a trilogy of music videos would be one of the sickest stories I'd experience at anyone time.

For those that aren't afraid of gore and great trash metal, check out the videos that come with slayers last album.
 
I just had some thoughts that led me to a revelation about how the world operates and so, reminded me what an amazing place it is to be in. Of course its an amazing time too, because of all the knowledge we now have that makes us see this great beauty around us.
But it also reminded me how much I hate hidden variable theories and the many worlds interpretation(not sure about the latter!), because they completely destroy that beautiful structure.
 
Shayan.J said:
I just had some thoughts that led me to a revelation about how the world operates...
You should probably share this information with the people we have running for president.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
zoobyshoe said:
You should probably share this information with the people we have running for president.
I believe @Shayan.J lives outside the beltway. It's a different world inside there...
 
Ibix said:
I believe @Shayan.J lives outside the beltway. It's a different world inside there...
An otherwise snappy quip killed by its assumptions. You win some, you lose some.
 
How does it come that algae evolve at the bottom of my pot made of clay, which I only fill up with (chlorinated) drinking water for the birds?
 
Religion without philosophy is fanaticism.
Philosophy without religion is empiricism.

Prabhupad
 
821a49d98436b66730bd1724e5a8b799.jpg

It's okay, I'm patient.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Sophia and OCR
Psinter said:
It's okay, I'm patient.
Lol, good find! ... I saw that some where before, but I can't remember where... :oldbiggrin:

Reminds me of when we were still using StarBand ... :sleep:

And BTW... this is wrong...
Wikipedia said:
...with unlimited usage and online hours.
It was unlimited only between the hours of 12 Midnight and 7 6 AM ...
Comments added by IP 75.182.84.110 and DonPedroLP ... are, more or less, right.

Aah, yes, the Good Ol' Days.... :oldgrumpy:

Bandwidth edit.jpg


And, if you went over 2 GB, it was back to dial up speed until you were back down to 1.5 GB.
Oh, lol... and, you also got this nice little sign.

bat_stop_cooper.gif
 
fresh_42 said:
How does it come that algae evolve at the bottom of my pot made of clay, which I only fill up with (chlorinated) drinking water for the birds?
They're probably in the air. I have the same problem with my fish tanks.
Some days, it seems that they've been finally defeated, but the next day, they are back and they are stronger!
 
William Maillis started accurately identifying numbers at 6 months old and speaking in complete sentences at just 7 months old. He followed with a range of http://hsrd.yahoo.com/RV=1/RE=1476454441/RH=aHNyZC55YWhvby5jb20-/RB=/RU=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5wb3N0LWdhemV0dGUuY29tL25ld3MvZWR1Y2F0aW9uLzIwMTYvMDkvMTYvUGl0dHNidXJnaC1QZW5uLVRyYWZmb3JkLUhpZ2gtU2Nob29sLWdlbml1cy1XaWxsaWFtLU1haWxsaXMtYXR0ZW5kaW5nLWNvbGxlZ2UtYXQtOS15ZWFycy1vbGQvc3Rvcmllcy8yMDE2MDkxNjAwMDMA/RS=%5EADAorJY76yptDsHCNziJla5gsg.5AY- , including doing addition at 21 months; multiplication, reading and writing at 2 years old; algebra, sign language and reading Greek at age 4; geometry at 5 and trigonometry at 7.

William was originally turned down when he tried to enroll in kindergarten at age 4 after failing an entrance readiness test.

https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/9-old-boy-graduates-high-153130463.html

I think I remember a discussion of whether or not gray (or grey) is a colour from 4th grade. Many sources identify gray as a color, and Wikipedia's article mentions it as an achromatic color, or an intermediate color (shade?) between white and black.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto and Pepper Mint
This morning I watched local TV news and heard an 11 year old boy was run over by a big container truck while trying to cross the street with his bicycle. That is truly horrible and I was truly shocked.
 
Apparently Google Maps is not updated often enough. Had to travel like an extra hour to make up for it. As amazing as it is, I need to complain about its minor problems ;).
 
WWGD said:
Apparently Google Maps is not updated often enough. Had to travel like an extra hour to make up for it. As amazing as it is, I need to complain about its minor problems ;).
Indifferent.

I do need a lot more annoying comments as attacks though. :DD OK, please go go.
 
Even when Google Maps is up to date, the local authorities here sometimes seem to allow major roads to be closed for roadworks without telling anyone. A few days ago we were returning in the evening from London and avoided the M3 motorway because of a scheduled closure by going via the A31 trunk road, but suddenly came to a road closed sign and a diversion via a much longer route on minor roads. Google Maps was still showing the main road as clear. Unfortunately, the diversion signs were misleading (we later realized that one was pointing the wrong way, probably left over from a previous occasion) and we ended up going in a loop, but the second time round we managed to escape.

Only a couple of days ago on the way home we passed two junctions where there were very similar "Diverted traffic" signs pointing BOTH right and left for traffic coming from our direction. That's worse than useless!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Pepper Mint
OCR said:
It was unlimited only between the hours of 12 Midnight and 7 6 AM ...
Comments added by IP 75.182.84.110 and DonPedroLP ... are, more or less, right.

Aah, yes, the Good Ol' Days.... :oldgrumpy:

bandwidth-edit-jpg.106723.jpg


And, if you went over 2 GB, it was back to dial up speed until you were back down to 1.5 GB.
Oh, lol... and, you also got this nice little sign.
You need to fix it then.

Oh, with 2.5D graphs and everything. Very modern :oldlaugh:.

Although if we think about it, cell phone companies do the same nowadays. They limit your bandwidth. They write in the contracts: "Unlimited doesn't mean irresponsible." as if trying to make the user look bad for using bandwidth when a single YouTube video drains the whole bandwidth. They can't pay for a proper ecosystem, but still call as much clients inside only to find themselves having to limit things to the users. Like they need to have as much clients as possible even if the building can't handle it.

--Sir, the building can't handle more people.
-Doesn't matter. If they have money, push them in like sardines. There is no competition anyway, the clients aren't going anywhere.

That happens a lot in my country. It is capitalist and democratic alright (or so they say), but it is full of markets controlled by single individuals. There is no competition and the services are horrible and expensive. After all they know that if it isn't with them, you have nothing.
 
Astronuc said:
I think I remember a discussion of whether or not gray (or grey) is a colour from 4th grade. Many sources identify gray as a color, and Wikipedia's article mentions it as an achromatic color, or an intermediate color (shade?) between white and black.

Color theory suffers from much confusion due to 'ideal' concepts vs actual results. But anyway:

For the mixing of colored light, Isaac Newton's color wheel is often used to describe complementary colors, which are colors which cancel each other's hue to produce an achromatic (white, gray or black) light mixture. Newton offered as a conjecture that colors exactly opposite one another on the hue circle cancel out each other's hue; this concept was demonstrated more thoroughly in the 19th century.[citation needed]

A key assumption in Newton's hue circle was that the "fiery" or maximum saturated hues are located on the outer circumference of the circle, while achromatic white is at the center. Then the saturation of the mixture of two spectral hues was predicted by the straight line between them; the mixture of three colors was predicted by the "center of gravity" or centroid of three triangle points, and so on.

220px-Color_star-en_%28tertiary_names%29.svg.png

Primary, secondary, and tertiary colors of the RYB color model
According to traditional color theory based on subtractive primary colors and the RYB color model, which is derived from paint mixtures, yellow mixed with violet, orange mixed with blue, or red mixed with green produces an equivalent gray and are the painter's complementary colors. These contrasts form the basis of Chevreul's law of color contrast: colors that appear together will be altered as if mixed with the complementary color of the other color. Thus, a piece of yellow fabric placed on a blue background will appear tinted orange, because orange is the complementary color to blue.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_theory
So, you might be justified calling gray a color if it is arrived at by mixing complements.

"Grey is a shade, not a color" is true if you view it as arising from the fact of the vertical axis where black is at the bottom and white at the top.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_theory#/media/File:Munsell-system.svg

I'd say it was unwarranted for them to fault him for not identifying gray as a color. It's controversial.
 
We're being warned about a potential major earthquake here:

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — A swarm of earthquakes that rattled the Salton Sea area earlier this week has increased the probability of a major quake hitting Southern California.

The California Office of Emergency Services (OES) http://www.oesnews.com/governors-director-emergency-services-reminds-californians-prepared-earthquakes/ warning residents and officials in Ventura, San Diego, San Bernardino, Riverside, Orange, Los Angeles, Kern and Imperial counties that there was a greater possibility of a major earthquake through Oct. 4.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/misc/2016-09-27.php have been recorded near Bombay Beach beginning Monday ranging from magnitude 1.4 to 4.3, according to U.S. Geological Services (USGS) seismologists...

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2016...hern-california-after-salton-sea-quake-swarm/
 
Borg said:
Maybe it's a good time to go camping in the middle of a flat, empty field. :olduhh:
If only they could be certain, and pinpoint when.