What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 753K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Psinter said:
Engineering: https://imgur.com/gallery/pkvTi

This looks pretty cool. I most definitely wanted this. Then I looked at the price tag and said: It's okay, I don't want it.
Reminds me that I have a Carette hot air engine (used to be my grandfather's) which I bring out about once a decade. It looks exactly like this one:
ce640eab79806af047a58cd4a4fff752.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Psinter
Psinter said:
Engineering: https://imgur.com/gallery/pkvTi

This looks pretty cool. I most definitely wanted this. Then I looked at the price tag and said: It's okay, I don't want it.

Jonathan Scott said:
Reminds me that I have a Carette hot air engine (used to be my grandfather's) which I bring out about once a decade. It looks exactly like this one:

Within five minutes after I've read your posts, I've found this:

http://phys.org/news/2016-11-18th-century-steam-physicists-quantum-breakthrough.html

Is there a conspiracy under way? The steam engine insurrection? The apostles of James?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Psinter
Jonathan Scott said:
Reminds me that I have a Carette hot air engine (used to be my grandfather's) which I bring out about once a decade. It looks exactly like this one:
ce640eab79806af047a58cd4a4fff752.jpg
That looks pretty cool :smile:. I like it. Mechanisms call my attention.
 
jim hardy said:
Had a lot of chaos lately. Adding a guest house for kids and grandkids' summer visits . If my posts have seemed scrambled, well, probably they were.

Had good help,
[...]

but we sure tore up the yard running electric and water to it.View attachment 108556

Whew glad that part is done !
Hand dug trenches. Somebody doesn't mind hard work.
 
PF has some serious side effects. They wrote something with lead on the news channel and I have read lead.
 
Krylov said:
It sounds nice. The old proof was rather dull.
Just wanted to say: Thank you! - without spoiling the original thread. You made my day, I'm still laughing.
 
Last edited:
A number of posts were deleted because they were reported for being political. If your post disappeared, that is why.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Bystander
Back on October 16, Annie Schmidt went hiking, then disappeared. Her car was found unattended. Apparently she went for a hike.

Sadly, her remains were found at the base of one of the ridges at Munra Point.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/4575101-155/body-found-in-oregon-likely-is
http://www.sltrib.com/news/4577402-155/oregon-medical-examiner-identifies-remains-as

Munra Point has some wonderful views of the Columbia River Gorge, but it is a dangerous place.
https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide/Munra_Point_from_Yeon_Trailhead_Hike

WARNING

Munra is a non-maintained trail. Hikers have been seriously injured falling from the summit ridges. Use extreme caution near the summit of Munra and do not climb the chimney to the summit ridge unless you will be able to safely climb back down unassisted.
 
Just in case one needs to know this, or if someone stops and asks one while one is strolling along the Avenue des Champs-Élysées or main street in Улаанбаатар.

Find out about the lighthouses and beacons outside our harbour limits that are owned and maintained by Maritime New Zealand.
http://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/public/history/lighthouses/

Cape Campbell lighthouse - http://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/public/history/lighthouses/Cape-Campbell/
 
This woman at Wendy's right across from me was dipping her fries on a chocolate smoothie. I thought she was just trying to be/appear shocking, so I followed up by dipping my hamburger in my coke -- yikes, not worth the (possible) shock effect..
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark
WWGD said:
This woman at Wendy's right across from me was dipping her fries on a chocolate smoothie. I thought she was just trying to be/appear shocking, so I followed up by dipping my hamburger in my coke -- yikes, not worth the (possible) shock effect..
Ha ha! :DD That made me laugh.

Seriously though, Wendy's has marketed the acceptance of eating their Frosty® product with french fries for years [decades] now. Here is an example of one ad, but it's not the first:

 
WWGD said:
This woman at Wendy's right across from me was dipping her fries on a chocolate smoothie. I thought she was just trying to be/appear shocking, so I followed up by dipping my hamburger in my coke -- yikes, not worth the (possible) shock effect..
Ever since I've heard about Haggis and fried Mars bars there's nothing left to shock me. But you know, that you're strengthening existing prejudices?
 
I hate it when people say things like "you got your work cut out for you." WTF? I was up all night yesterday writing a paper for submission to an academic conference on neural networks thinking that my lab director would say, "hey, this looks great, let's go with it." Instead, he marked up the paper like there's no tomorrow, told me I had to re-write about half of it, get the font and formatting right, create visuospatial figures and graphs, all by noon today!

So I asked him if he wanted to see me in the morning (today about this time, east coast 8am). Guess what his answer was? It was no, you've got your work cut out for you today.

Oh thanks.
 
Sounds familiar. My suspicion is, that to whomever you hand your paper in which ever condition it is, he will have something to correct. I often thought, they would even completely redesign their own work if they didn't know. I once suggested the following general rules:
  • Write it in a way students would understand it. Then remove every line except those divisible by three.
  • Insert obvious weaknesses which can either be easily repaired or dropped out. That distracts them from ruining the good stuff.
 
fresh_42 said:
Sounds familiar.

Thanks for the input. I'm new at this graduate student stuff. I stayed up all night writing this submission because I really wanted to impress him in a big way so he felt like he was glad he hired me. I fully expected his jaw to drop and to only offer suggestions on minor revisions. He basically offered me faint praise and wanted a complete re-write. So welcome to the machine, I guess.
 
I have a sore throat as usually at this time of year.
I went to website of certain medication for this issue and what surprised me is the math formula they use as their central logo/marketing signature.

The formula is
3x3+4

They want to say that they have three forms (candy, spray and mouthwash solution). Each of these comes in 4 flavours and works against 3 things (inflammation, bacteria, pain).

Shouldn't there be times 4 instead of plus? I guess they want to say that each of the flavours in all 3 forms has these 3 benefits. I really suck at maths but something seems to be wrong there
 
phinds said:
There could be unicorns but since nobody's ever seen one, we don't discuss them on this forum.
:cry::cry::cry:

Sorry @phinds - couldn't resist.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: phinds
I think my winter will turn out less dull now... I am going to play this game. :woot:

Ping @ZapperZ , and everybody else who like theme parks... a new theme park simulation game (construction and management simulation):

Trailer:


On Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_Coaster
And another video is here.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark
This new thread: "What is the Great Attractor?"

It is so hard, so da... hard. Not one, not two, half a dozens of ... it is so hard not to ... so hard ...
 
There are octonions. There are quaternions. It's time to call complex numbers secondions and the reals primions.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Bystander and DennisN
I just saw this miniseries (4 episodes), I liked it a lot:
Tutankhamun (2016)
"Archaeologist Howard Carter (Max Irons) stumbles upon evidence of an undiscovered tomb of one of Egypt's forgotten Pharaohs, Tutankhamun. His peers, however, scorn it as being impossible, save for one man: the wealthy Lord Carnarvon (Sam Neill), a born gambler and thrill-seeker, who agrees to fund Carter's digs."
Trailer: