What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 752K views
I ran into a phrase that is both written exactly the same in Spanish as in English, and has the exact same meaning: " Use me", written on a trash can. I wonder if it is the only one , either for English-Spanish, or for the general pairs of languages.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Holy crap. I think I forgot about physicsforums!

I have totally legitimate excuses though.

Short version: Miscarriage #1 -> Miscarriage #1 -> Wife pregnancy 3 last September -> Wife on home bed rest 5 weeks -> wife on hospital bed rest 5 weeks (this is during grad school mind you --> Baby born 3 months early like this:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/alw9U22ECD_WKN6tpkjuhvbE_1_Rl7vjMnxeYC9foDoZ7Sp2apiW8huy_oxoW-88duePqb2jms7fB2b9nOvGGAM_L9hyrGmYskuatrKnewxYpO-RexkAE0xTtxv9XQNqOJxFDwN1eiXxotKK9y1wXVFpz5pKmx9SwM-rMCYbD2lWB31Gxs-84qNKkCzU5eEqdhKlVfR8KNgB4QwlVaMPJvEY_z4OwOplr6GIzK0-l1QVcn1M8l0pVpHsRYdUhqxVnIOjX0SwjZ2LalAH3D2Uot8OZo0SCrlP0TvWnnpMZhdIJDZK-Si64jnDPagKyDyD2DTOi8_U0wnFq5irr4RP5yArYLPvtE8uAUNjavtQDHnffB_0i6QrEmv51KjrOq1JpuOK3XtaSK1VniYB1cEfnt7LkUWl-RzBumaJ1thdnloRv999i3_AH7wLk02hF1r1_ftcokdDNF8Z7LAxXFUefqyNOjM17UEoVychIqv8Zf7Nh6voNc2xnaf16xK5-_CrlfYkN-dxdnT17Swf4yizqfWMEE0TZLyoEiofz8ny-B3N3FY-Um98mmIZljdLeVNsCP2Y-Ffd70sgjkQPtPIbUsj__TNvpvxqFJnAMZUSYH_oyy4Ua_0z-w=w937-h638-no

But now look like this:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/1cmdDoUJbpXe7S6sWWoo2okEt1qKpxtlCZVKoAsYvXfEKx_rM3xJngqCxiguQHSLEQEAjVvksoSEhasO8UQNvVGvbBx3XO2oTYp-u9iwA_j7MybK1Hmv-EkmLHyjWyCk1cZ4CiB9LIfViHEyMdb25IxYk9uypm6qF-80Vj84gyLtUmfXtQVEGhv5K-bLRF9nUJGSpfWajt7y3xJsDxS5GD-IPaxKjx83ZhF4pFOILegvNIin2CjRlIIYEZa7a6AuQbQyyX8jzFWYDZJnTpcQYK_noG94r6NI4ft4eUp2uhijRyKWuVX--9upNsC-Q7TsVaPlEaKx6IJuC-NXH-NOrab9-ZCH6_pTa-DsB1w1z5jpCrh9V_Zr29yxqeVoG3H_JzhEWiEtk_VT1yB__DaH8hPtUo3FyU4Z24aprBPkJaHyvkHLthbDdJFuj6uajM2ck06Fta_ABYi86EV-9W6PRn4DLCk_jNsu6ajRlVS0j2C-05zI0EaOaliHWryDytnE8tMvmOvFpJ6nwAIOpJKyjpzRWiSC316CwIc_PE4Km1pP9J9bZrh_bRt-MxPrfBzpWOfgPzdrH2P8GvGgkwwy3TzEEBSDZW5H9eDccKCOxCLMJwIzqMb30g=w359-h638-no

And I got a job so I could study for my qualifier rather than try to do grad school + TA + baby + qualifier, but of course the little guy doesn't let us sleep much. So life is hard, life is beautiful, and missed you all.

-Dave K

whoo
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Enigman, OCR, collinsmark and 2 others
Dave! Good to see you again.

Congratulations. Looks like he had a rough start, but he looks great in the second one - very cute. Don't worry about the lack of sleep - my sources tell me you can get your revenge during the teenage years...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD and dkotschessaa
dkotschessaa said:
Holy crap. I think I forgot about physicsforums!

I have totally legitimate excuses though.

Short version: Miscarriage #1 -> Miscarriage #1 -> Wife pregnancy 3 last September -> Wife on home bed rest 5 weeks -> wife on hospital bed rest 5 weeks (this is during grad school mind you --> Baby born 3 months early like this:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/alw9U22ECD_WKN6tpkjuhvbE_1_Rl7vjMnxeYC9foDoZ7Sp2apiW8huy_oxoW-88duePqb2jms7fB2b9nOvGGAM_L9hyrGmYskuatrKnewxYpO-RexkAE0xTtxv9XQNqOJxFDwN1eiXxotKK9y1wXVFpz5pKmx9SwM-rMCYbD2lWB31Gxs-84qNKkCzU5eEqdhKlVfR8KNgB4QwlVaMPJvEY_z4OwOplr6GIzK0-l1QVcn1M8l0pVpHsRYdUhqxVnIOjX0SwjZ2LalAH3D2Uot8OZo0SCrlP0TvWnnpMZhdIJDZK-Si64jnDPagKyDyD2DTOi8_U0wnFq5irr4RP5yArYLPvtE8uAUNjavtQDHnffB_0i6QrEmv51KjrOq1JpuOK3XtaSK1VniYB1cEfnt7LkUWl-RzBumaJ1thdnloRv999i3_AH7wLk02hF1r1_ftcokdDNF8Z7LAxXFUefqyNOjM17UEoVychIqv8Zf7Nh6voNc2xnaf16xK5-_CrlfYkN-dxdnT17Swf4yizqfWMEE0TZLyoEiofz8ny-B3N3FY-Um98mmIZljdLeVNsCP2Y-Ffd70sgjkQPtPIbUsj__TNvpvxqFJnAMZUSYH_oyy4Ua_0z-w=w937-h638-no

But now look like this:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/1cmdDoUJbpXe7S6sWWoo2okEt1qKpxtlCZVKoAsYvXfEKx_rM3xJngqCxiguQHSLEQEAjVvksoSEhasO8UQNvVGvbBx3XO2oTYp-u9iwA_j7MybK1Hmv-EkmLHyjWyCk1cZ4CiB9LIfViHEyMdb25IxYk9uypm6qF-80Vj84gyLtUmfXtQVEGhv5K-bLRF9nUJGSpfWajt7y3xJsDxS5GD-IPaxKjx83ZhF4pFOILegvNIin2CjRlIIYEZa7a6AuQbQyyX8jzFWYDZJnTpcQYK_noG94r6NI4ft4eUp2uhijRyKWuVX--9upNsC-Q7TsVaPlEaKx6IJuC-NXH-NOrab9-ZCH6_pTa-DsB1w1z5jpCrh9V_Zr29yxqeVoG3H_JzhEWiEtk_VT1yB__DaH8hPtUo3FyU4Z24aprBPkJaHyvkHLthbDdJFuj6uajM2ck06Fta_ABYi86EV-9W6PRn4DLCk_jNsu6ajRlVS0j2C-05zI0EaOaliHWryDytnE8tMvmOvFpJ6nwAIOpJKyjpzRWiSC316CwIc_PE4Km1pP9J9bZrh_bRt-MxPrfBzpWOfgPzdrH2P8GvGgkwwy3TzEEBSDZW5H9eDccKCOxCLMJwIzqMb30g=w359-h638-no

And I got a job so I could study for my qualifier rather than try to do grad school + TA + baby + qualifier, but of course the little guy doesn't let us sleep much. So life is hard, life is beautiful, and missed you all.

-Dave K

whoo
Congratulations! He's adorable! A lot of hard times for you and your wife but look at what you have to make it all worthwhile! :smile: What's his name? How old is he?
 
Entry was a bit wobbly but it looks like he hit the landing with flying colors.

Grats on the successful mission.

BoB
 
Evo said:
Congratulations! He's adorable! A lot of hard times for you and your wife but look at what you have to make it all worthwhile! :smile: What's his name? How old is he?

RIGHT! That's Dylan. Dylan Sebastian Kotschessa. Born Feb 9th so about 10 months, but adjusted age of around 7. He's catching up to his chronological age pretty quickly in my completely biased but not totally unjustified opinion.

He's cute as **** and I know all dads think that but JUST LOOK AT HIM.

-Dave K
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Borg
Saw an extremely interesting thing on TV last night about a British photographer who bought 100 acres of rainforest in Peru for $10,000. That's $100 per acre!

He basically just wanted to buy it so no one else could own it who might cut it down. However, he found out after the purchase that some local 'pharmaceutical enterprises' were illegally using his land to grow coca plants, and another guy was hauling poached trees from a nearby state park across his land to the river. He started to realize that he would need to move there and hire a crew to patrol and protect his acreage.

Regardless, it seemed to me that, if most of the South American rainforest is really that cheap, the Green people ought to change their whole strategy and just start buying it all up to prevent it being cut down for pasturage.
 
I'm afraid this would not really work. Brazil has large parts of its rain forest under federal protection and patrols in place. And despite of that there is still illegal search for gold and illegal deforestation.
 
I always thought it'd be cool to be an "undeveloper." I would buy land in cities or suburban areas, and just knock everything down and put it back the way it was.
 
fresh_42 said:
I'm afraid this would not really work. Brazil has large parts of its rain forest under federal protection and patrols in place. And despite of that there is still illegal search for gold and illegal deforestation.
Haven't you ever seen that show where green people hunt down whaling ships and harass them? I think they'd be even worse foes if you were on their rightfully owned land.
 
I also watched about 3 episodes of Moonshiners in a row the other night. This is an interesting show in that it is a detailed chronicle of people doing something sneaky and illegal. So why don't they get arrested?

I did a little googling and the claim is that they would have to be caught red handed, in the act, in order to be arrested. Despite the fact the TV show broadcasts their names and faces all over, it does not, apparently, constitute proper evidence, or something. On the other hand, I saw a documentary about urban gunrunners a couple months ago where everyone wore masks and had their voices altered. Go figure.
 
Some random joker on FaceBook talking about "the right to bare arms," made me want to riff on the injustice of not having "the right to bare bottoms."

Then I was thinking that "the right to bear arms," could lead to ruminations on the injustice of not having "the right to kangaroo arms," or "the right to T-Rex arms."
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Tsu
I have just seen a man wearing a perfectly normal grey business suit and a turquoise fedora. I just thought I'd share the oddity of the moment.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Tsu and fresh_42
I'm randomly thinking, if this was my photo it would be a natural for Zappers photo contest "magnet"
plasma-physics.jpg
 
dkotschessaa said:
92714006

Oh, my bad. Thought this was the random number thread.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix
I though you were just hungry!

HINT: google that number and look at the pictures that come up.

BoB
 
rbelli1 said:
I though you were just hungry!

HINT: google that number and look at the pictures that come up.

BoB

hah! I used a random number generator. But boy, could i go for some millet now.
 
Scroll down. You get all the shellfish you can eat!

BoB
 
rbelli1 said:
Scroll down. You get all the shellfish you can eat!

BoB

Yes, but that would be... you know.
 
dkotschessaa said:
Yes, but that would be... you know.
A couple of years ago a girl I know on FaceBook posted an enthusiastic comment about brussel sprouts. A full day went by before it occurred to me she might not be talking about brussel sprouts.
 
zoobyshoe said:
To be sure, I checked the urban dictionary. Several then entries indicated it is sometimes used to refer to parts of the male anatomy.

When in doubt I should always suppose that if I don't understand a reference, that this is what it means...
 
dkotschessaa said:
When in doubt I should always suppose that if I don't understand a reference, that this is what it means...
But now I'm confused about what you meant in referring to shellfish.
 
zoobyshoe said:
But now I'm confused about what you meant in referring to shellfish.

Standard shellfish pun.
 
Ibix said:
Well don't keep it to yourself...

That's the one.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix
I'm not superstitious, but I just hit my 666th post.

That's better.

edit: oh no, this post doesn't count.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix