What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #1,891
There all these cities that are full of opportunities...and of people looking for opportunities. Are they any better opportunity-wise than those places with fewer opportunities but fewer people seeking the opportunities?

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,892
zoobyshoe said:
Actually, upon checking, I discovered that cities immediately to our east are not considered part of San Diego, despite often being referred to as "suburbs." In other words, I have been erroneously assuming their libraries were just branches of our system. A person could, in fact, move to say, La Mesa, Ca., which is outside our library system, and still live close enough to drive back to use the library here.

Although the library system extends farther North than I ever go, it is bounded to the West by the ocean and to the South by Mexico. It does not, however, extend as far East as I had assumed:

https://www.sandiego.gov/sites/defa...brary/pdf/2012/librariesbycouncildistrict.pdf

There is also this strange situation where the city immediately south of San Diego, National City, seems to be excluded from our system, but the city south of that, San Ysidro, is included. No comprendo.
I think it has to see with administrative/political decisions to incorporate : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unincorporated_area and different countries have different systems of organization and different levels of government.

• #1,893
I'm one post away from a palindromic post count. Those don't happen every day for me. I should savor it somehow. Hmm. <Contemplates possibilities while scratching chin.>

• #1,894
next one in 110 posts. I had mine two posts ago !

Likes Borg
  • #1,895
nuuskur said:
Now you have palindromic likes. :biggrin:

Likes collinsmark and nuuskur
  • #1,896
nuuskur said:
What do you mean:?333, 343, 353,...,393 are palindrome too.

• #1,897
I keep biting my tongue at this 30-something friend of mine who lives at home and is not even looking for a job, yet keeps spouting
things like: " It is all about sticking to it" , " You just need to put in the work" , etc. , while laying his behind on the couch while surfing his TV and chomping down on food his mom bought for him.

• #1,898
Kirk Douglas and Jerry Lewis are not dead yet. There are, in fact, a lot of people who aren't.

Likes collinsmark
  • #1,899
Only thing Toffler seems to have missed was the public wanting and demanding control over its data, a valuable resource most people give away for free, either implicitly or explicitly, as in the naive belief that Google is free. EDIT: Toffler is dead, though ;). EDIT2: Smiley is because of Zoobyshoe's comment, not laughing at Toffler's death last June.

Last edited:
  • #1,900
New reality show on overweight psychics: " The Medium is a Large". Can't wait.

• #1,901
After the new season of Better Call Saul opened with two lukewarm episodes, tonight it suddenly surged to full boil. I was so worried the writers had lost their mojo but tonight everything became intensely interesting.

• #1,902
Wow, what a sense of entitlement! This woman walks into this small-business, self-serve cafe where I was having lunch, during a busy time, puts her things on a table (and one in the center, not one in a corner) , picks up some 100+ napkins, starts wiping all sorts of food containers she brought with her in her backpack clean with the napkins, taking up some 20 minutes during busy lunch time. Then she just walks out, not even thanking the owner nor any of the workers. At least she threw out the napkins.

• #1,903
WWGD said:
Wow, what a sense of entitlement! This woman walks into this small-business, self-serve cafe where I was having lunch, during a busy time, puts her things on a table (and one in the center, not one in a corner) , picks up some 100+ napkins, starts wiping all sorts of food containers she brought with her in her backpack clean with the napkins, taking up some 20 minutes during busy lunch time. Then she just walks out, not even thanking the owner nor any of the workers. At least she threw out the napkins.
Odd. Did she seem homeless? If not, then she might be someone who is teetering on the brink of homelessness. The food containers sound like preparation for some kind of survival mode. The "entitled" attitude sounds like a kind of denial of a coming change downward in social status.

• #1,904
zoobyshoe said:
Odd. Did she seem homeless? If not, then she might be someone who is teetering on the brink of homelessness. The food containers sound like preparation for some kind of survival mode. The "entitled" attitude sounds like a kind of denial of a coming change downward in social status.
Yes, I had not though of that, but it does not seem too likely since she was carrying a container from a blender with EDIT: some blender-shake of fruits, hard-boiled eggs and fruits, so she needs a power supply, a way to keep eggs fresh, e.g., a refrigerator , a way of boiling the eggs --stove -- and she did not carry the usual collection of bags many homeless often carry. She had a bunch of tupperware containers and her clothes seemed OK, albeit casual : sweats, sneakers and t-shirt, and she did not smell. I would assume someone who is risking homelessness would have more of a meek attitude( meaning, e.g. saying thanks and doing her thing less conspicuously in a corner), towards the cafe people so that she can ask for further favors, although maybe she is not "all-there" psychologically to do so. Still, I have the impression it is easier for a woman to get away with this than for a man (though surely a woman is more likely to be attacked and robbed, being physically weaker on average). But, still, you may be right, though , from what I wrote at the beginning, she may not be homeless yet..

• #1,905
WWGD said:
Yes, I had not though of that, but it does not seem too likely since she was carrying a container from a blender with fruit juice, hard-boiled eggs and fruits, so she needs a power supply, a way to keep eggs fresh, e.g., a refrigerator , a way of boiling the eggs --stove -- and she did not carry the usual collection of bags many homeless often carry. She had a bunch of tupperware containers and her clothes seemed OK, albeit casual : sweats, sneakers and t-shirt, and she did not smell. I would assume someone who is risking homelessness would have more of a meek attitude( meaning, e.g. saying thanks and doing her thing less conspicuously in a corner), towards the cafe people so that she can ask for further favors, although maybe she is not "all-there" psychologically to do so. Still, I have the impression it is easier for a woman to get away with this than for a man (though surely a woman is more likely to be attacked and robbed, being physically weaker on average). But, still, you may be right, though , from what I wrote at the beginning, she may not be homeless yet..
Possibly extravagant speculation here, but the scenario that comes to mind is that of a woman who is walking out on a guy on whom she is financially dependent. He "wronged" her terribly somehow, and she has to break it off with him for her ego's sake, but she has nowhere to go. (Alternately, she may have "wronged" him, and she's being kicked out for that.) Either way, she's going back to the house or apartment when he's at work, or, some friend is letting her use the kitchen and bathroom, possibly even the couch, but it's a begrudging, short term thing.

I agree that it seems logical that someone on the edge should be as nice and grateful as possible to anyone they impose on, but I have actually seen people who adopt the opposite stance. There's a certain logic to that: admitting helplessness can attract people who want to abuse and exploit your vulnerability. A strong sense of entitlement becomes their default prophylactic, both as an ego defense mechanism and a defense against being taken advantage of. It's ultimately not a good strategy, but people in bad situations often can't think very rationally.

• #1,906
zoobyshoe said:
Possibly extravagant speculation here, but the scenario that comes to mind is that of a woman who is walking out on a guy on whom she is financially dependent. He "wronged" her terribly somehow, and she has to break it off with him for her ego's sake, but she has nowhere to go. (Alternately, she may have "wronged" him, and she's being kicked out for that.) Either way, she's going back to the house or apartment when he's at work, or, some friend is letting her use the kitchen and bathroom, possibly even the couch, but it's a begrudging, short term thing.

I agree that it seems logical that someone on the edge should be as nice and grateful as possible to anyone they impose on, but I have actually seen people who adopt the opposite stance. There's a certain logic to that: admitting helplessness can attract people who want to abuse and exploit your vulnerability. A strong sense of entitlement becomes their default prophylactic, both as an ego defense mechanism and a defense against being taken advantage of. It's ultimately not a good strategy, but people in bad situations often can't think very rationally.
Wonder what you make of this one ( no kidding). A generic van, i.e., plain , without any signs or taxi plates , stops in the street at around 11:15 a.m. on a Sunday, let's someone out and then someone gets in it, just by sliding the door, without any overt communication with the driver. The van drives along ? Just in case, I neither drink nor do drugs, so I was not intoxicated when I saw this.

• #1,907
WWGD said:
Wonder what you make of this one ( no kidding). A generic van, i.e., plain , without any signs or taxi plates , stops in the street at around 11:15 a.m. on a Sunday, let's someone out and then someone gets in it, just by sliding the door, without any overt communication with the driver. The van drives along ? Just in case, I neither drink nor do drugs, so I was not intoxicated when I saw this.
Was the person who got in standing there waiting for the van to arrive?

• #1,908
zoobyshoe said:
Was the person who got in standing there waiting for the van to arrive?
seemed like it, though not 100% sure. Maybe a Craigslist-type, Uber/Lyft-type deal?

• #1,909
WWGD said:
seemed like it, though not 100% sure. Maybe a Craigslist-type, Uber/Lyft-type deal?
What did the person who got out do?

• #1,910
zoobyshoe said:
What did the person who got out do?
Don't remember too well, I just think he just walked out to the sidewalk and seemingly just went about his day.

• #1,911
WWGD said:
Don't remember too well, I just think he just walked out to the sidewalk and seemingly just went about his day.
Was it a black van with a red stripe on it, driven by a black guy with plenty of gold around his neck?

Likes Ibix
  • #1,912
It's funny because I've never used uber myself, but I have seen a lot of people get picked up by uber drivers when I'm sitting at outdoor coffee shop patios. There is always an introductory conversation.

Therefore, the most interesting scenario that occurs to me is that this was a change of shift in a surveillance operation. Some organization, most likely the police, is keeping an eye on some business or place in the neighborhood. However, it could be private investigators or insurance investigators. Alternately, it could be organized crime.

• #1,913
I think I found the key to understanding particle physics. Unfortunately it's not the key for ME understanding it.
The secret is to start early!
IMG_20170506_151339.jpg

Likes collinsmark and OmCheeto
  • #1,914
'Been playing the video game Prey over the last day or two (the 2017 title, not to be confused with the 2006 one by the same name). I'm maybe about half way through.

So far so good.

• #1,915
Finally found out the bathroom was downstairs: people walked down the stairs with a pained face and walk back up with an expression of relief.

• #1,916
zoobyshoe said:
It's funny because I've never used uber myself, but I have seen a lot of people get picked up by uber drivers when I'm sitting at outdoor coffee shop patios. There is always an introductory conversation.

Therefore, the most interesting scenario that occurs to me is that this was a change of shift in a surveillance operation. Some organization, most likely the police, is keeping an eye on some business or place in the neighborhood. However, it could be private investigators or insurance investigators. Alternately, it could be organized crime.
Ouch, re the last one. Will pretend to not notice just in case.

• #1,917
WWGD said:
Ouch, re the last one. Will pretend to not notice just in case.
The surveillance scenario is offered as the most interesting one I could think of that is also plausible.

It could be something else, like there happens to be a guy with a van who has enough free time to drive a couple relatives to and from work, and they happen to work at the same place but on successive shifts. They didn't say anything to the driver because the whole pick-up/drop-off has become too routine.

It could also be that it was an uber driver but there was no conversation between the driver and the guy who got in because the guy who got in was deaf. Presumably, he would have texted that information ahead when he contracted for the ride. The guy who got out would have said thanks and goodbye before he opened the door.

In any event, I agree there was something odd about the scene you describe and I, too, would have wondered what was going on.

• #1,918
Interesting comment overheard at Starbucks: "The law of 72, that to calculate the doubling time with rate r, you divide 72 by r, was invented by the greatest mathematician of all, Albert Einstein"

• #1,919
WWGD said:
Interesting comment overheard at Starbucks: "The law of 72, that to calculate the doubling time with rate r, you divide 72 by r, was invented by the greatest mathematician of all, Albert Einstein"
You posted that five times in five minutes, so at a rate of r=1/minute, implying a doubling time of 72 minutes by this law. Seems solid to me.

Edit: WWGD has deleted four of the five duplicate posts, leaving the above orphaned punchline. I'm not going to be appreciated in my own lifetime, am I...?

Last edited:
  • #1,920
WWGD said:
Apparently its a very common meme to attribute this tool to Einstein. For example:

http://www.yourfriend4life.com/accumulate-wealth-with-the-rule-of-72/

But its veracity is "undetermined" :

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/einstein/interest.asp

No one seriously involved in physics or math, including Einstein himself, would support the "greatest mathematician of all" part of it.

• #1,921
zoobyshoe said:
Apparently its a very common meme to attribute this tool to Einstein. For example:

http://www.yourfriend4life.com/accumulate-wealth-with-the-rule-of-72/

But its veracity is "undetermined" :

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/einstein/interest.asp

No one seriously involved in physics or math, including Einstein himself, would support the "greatest mathematician of all" part of it.

Yes, and, besides, I would call it more of a discovery and not an invention. It seems when someone does amazing work in one area they have all sorts of
wise sayings in other areas attributed to them too. Just like you have, e.g., ballplayers recommending toothpaste, retirement packages, as if knowing how to hit a ball somehow makes them a better dentist, financial advisor, etc. I don't get it.

• #1,922
WWGD said:
It seems when someone does amazing work in one area they have all sorts of wise sayings in other areas attributed to them too. Just like you have, e.g., ballplayers recommending toothpaste, retirement packages, as if knowing how to hit a ball somehow makes them a better dentist, financial advisor, etc. I don't get it.
Yes, but there is, additionally, a distinct difference between hiring a willing baseball player to endorse toothpaste, and fictitiously attributing an idea to some famous person without their knowledge or consent.

The snopes author was unable to trace this back to anything Einstein ever said or wrote. In the case of the baseball player you have a straightforward instance of a perfectly legal kind of 'prostitution,' so to speak; a paid endorsement. The Einstein thing, if the quote and the formula did not come from him, is something hovering on the edge of fraud: people are attributing this idea to Einstein with the intention of getting people to buy their investment instruction manuals.

Some righteous consumer advocate might be able to legally require them to prove the formula and quote originated with Einstein, and, if they can't, completely stop making the claim least they be sued for fraud.

• #1,923
zoobyshoe said:
Yes, but there is, additionally, a distinct difference between hiring a willing baseball player to endorse toothpaste, and fictitiously attributing an idea to some famous person without their knowledge or consent.

The snopes author was unable to trace this back to anything Einstein ever said or wrote. In the case of the baseball player you have a straightforward instance of a perfectly legal kind of 'prostitution,' so to speak; a paid endorsement. The Einstein thing, if the quote and the formula did not come from him, is something hovering on the edge of fraud: people are attributing this idea to Einstein with the intention of getting people to buy their investment instruction manuals.

Some righteous consumer advocate might be able to legally require them to prove the formula and quote originated with Einstein, and, if they can't, completely stop making the claim least they be sued for fraud.
But , who would sue for fraud, Einstein's family fund representative?

• #1,924
WWGD said:
But , who would sue for fraud, Einstein's family fund representative?
The fraud (if such it is) is being committed against the audience of the advert who may erroneously believe that Einstein invented/endorsed/whatever compound interest. So anybody seeing and believing the advert could have standing to sue, I think. I only play a lawyer on the internet, though, so who knows.

Reminds me of Pepsi's Harrier advert - http://www.snopes.com/business/deals/pepsijet.asp.

Likes WWGD
  • #1,925
Ibix said:
The fraud (if such it is) is being committed against the audience of the advert who may erroneously believe that Einstein invented/endorsed/whatever compound interest. So anybody seeing and believing the advert could have standing to sue, I think. I only play a lawyer on the internet, though, so who knows.
I am not sure you even have to have bought the product to sue. All that is necessary is to prove the company knows the claim is untrue, which you would do by warning them to substantiate the claim or stop making it. If they neither substantiate it nor stop making it, then I think anyone could sue in the capacity of a "consumer advocate." I doubt you personally could ask for their ill-gotten gains, but you could force them to repay the people they did defraud and possibly to pay your legal fees.
Reminds me of Pepsi's Harrier advert - http://www.snopes.com/business/deals/pepsijet.asp.
It says Pepsi got off by claiming the offer of a harrier was so outrageous no reasonable person could have believed it. I don't think the Einstein thing could use that defense. It's much more plausible to assert Einstein both developed this formula and that he said something positive about compound interest.