What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 756K views
WWGD said:
Kind of weird/frustrating: I finally overcame my difficulty in starting conversations with strangers. Only problem now is to have the conversation go beyond a trivial one-liner and a hmm response, after which it quickly dies out, some times in awkwardness.
I asked women which gel they use under the shower. 99% answered Get-The-Hell-Outta-Here. :cool:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
If you include Trump not elected and no Brexit, I am in.
Trump? He's just playing a pretty close Welsh Open final ...
 
fresh_42 said:
I asked women which gel they use under the shower. 99% answered Get-The-Hell-Outta-Here. :cool:
I went a bit further. But when they told me the brand, I asked them for pics to prove it , they always refused :(.
 
Watching this new show called "The Good Fight." Lawyer show. Very good.
 
I listened to an interesting conversation earlier today on "The Grandeur and Limits of Science".

Margaret Wertheim mentioned, "it’s often — when contemporary physicists write about the world, they talk about this as being a fundamental problem for reality. But it’s not a fundamental problem for reality. It’s a fundamental problem for human beings. The universe is just getting on with it." and followed with "And so I think the universe isn’t schizophrenic. It’s not having a problem. We’re having a problem."
http://onbeing.org/programs/margaret-wertheim-the-grandeur-and-limits-of-science-2/
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: EnumaElish and OmCheeto
Told my boss about a problem with the data he asked me to analyze. Hope it will not hit the fan...EDIT: It went pretty well, I was able to finesse it.
 
Last edited:
I was curious and listened to some ABBA songs on Youtube labeled as (German version). At least five of them have been Swedish.
Who creates their title lines? And is it allowed to draw some conclusions on Californians?
 
During the last week the moon looked pretty big and orangeish color.
 
I can't understand why I keep eating ice cream and drinking iced water ( a tray-full of cubes) in mid-winter.
 
WWGD said:
I can't understand why I keep eating ice cream and drinking iced water ( a tray-full of cubes) in mid-winter.

Are you trying to overclock your brain?
 
dkotschessaa said:
Are you trying to overclock your brain?
Overclock? Sorry, don't speak Tampese (Tampanese?). More like overcluck.
 
WWGD said:
I can't understand why I keep eating ice cream and drinking iced water ( a tray-full of cubes) in mid-winter.
When you're hot you're hot. :olduhh:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
dlgoff said:
When you're hot you're hot. :olduhh:
If we could only get a few of the local women to agree... :)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff
WWGD said:
If we could only get a few of the local women to agree... :)
One would do ...
 
WWGD said:
I can't understand why I keep eating ice cream and drinking iced water ( a tray-full of cubes) in mid-winter.
Russian ancestry? Russians can't afford to wait for summer, and they love ice cream.
 
fresh_42 said:
Russian ancestry? Russians can't afford to wait for summer, and they love ice cream.
On one side , yes, but I have been trying unsuccessfully to learn how to do the Hopak for a while now.
 
It's psychological: you're wishing it was summer, so you're denying it's winter and acting like it is summer.
 
Oh, and for those who had any doubt, here is my Dino Selfie:

20170219_152337.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark
I will miss Bill Paxton. To this day I quote his lines perhaps more than any other actor.



[Edit: this is what I say to my teammates of trivia night (quiz night) when a sports question is asked:]
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Borg
Yeah, I was definitely thinking about that scene when I heard the news.

I couldn't find the clip but I loved the part right before his character died where he was shooting the aliens coming in the room and saying "Oh, you want some too?".
Edit: I finally found it but there's a lot of cursing so I won't post it. :angel:
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark
There's a facial gesture I see other people making sometimes that I don't understand because I never make it myself. It's like this: you put the lower lip over the upper lip and press hard. Seems from the outside maybe like they're literally holding back words. When I try making this gesture myself to see how it makes me feel, I just don't get any clear feeling from it.

Do any of you make this gesture, and, if you do, what impulse do you think you are expressing?
 
zoobyshoe said:
Do any of you make this gesture, and, if you do, what impulse do you think you are expressing?
Not one of mine either, however I see it associated with consternation or as you say holding back words sometimes. ( I just noticed there isn't an Emote for that one.)
 
zoobyshoe said:
There's a facial gesture I see other people making sometimes that I don't understand because I never make it myself. It's like this: you put the lower lip over the upper lip and press hard. Seems from the outside maybe like they're literally holding back words. When I try making this gesture myself to see how it makes me feel, I just don't get any clear feeling from it.

Do any of you make this gesture, and, if you do, what impulse do you think you are expressing?

Is that the "Wachoo talkin' about, Willis" face ?
 
Kind of funny talk show with guests self-described "vampires". When one of the vampires was criticized by a Christian describing the vampire's actions as being sacrilegious, the vampire retorted: but Jesus says " Drink my blood, eat my flesh".
I guess from my recent comments I realize the obscene amount of late-night TV I watch.
 
Last edited: