What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 755K views
Now that I passed my qual, I am onto my next project:

quantum baby.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
Physics news on Phys.org
dkotschessaa said:
You mean the definition on the test?

:)
You betcha, I had it written in my palm ( Oops, don't tell my prof) ;).
 
I just took a small trip in time: I hit the 'back' button and the post I just made is not there anymore. My time machine.
 
fresh_42 said:
Our standard explanation for these kind of restaurants has usually been: Mafia money washing saloon.
It is a cash in receipts out machinery. Customers aren't needed.
Quite possible. Besides, I have never seen them go against the family.
 
Aha, I finally figured it out... !..
idea.gif


You can forget all that stuff about lift, gravity, thrust and drag...
A helicopter flies because of money!
 
Last edited:
dkotschessaa said:
Now that I passed my qual, I am onto my next project:

View attachment 212655
Explaining payment protection insurance to my eight year old was today's challenge. I managed to explain loans and repayment plans in terms of the couple of pounds I borrowed from his piggy bank for bus fare the other day, but I think I lost him after that.

I have a nasty feeling I'm going to be charged interest the next time I need to borrow from him...
 
Ibix said:
Explaining payment protection insurance to my eight year old was today's challenge. I managed to explain loans and repayment plans in terms of the couple of pounds I borrowed from his piggy bank for bus fare the other day, but I think I lost him after that.

I have a nasty feeling I'm going to be charged interest the next time I need to borrow from him...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1932416552/?tag=pfamazon01-20
 
Ibix said:
I have a nasty feeling I'm going to be charged interest the next time I need to borrow from him...
Send him over. We have to talk about common rates outside official institutions!
WWGD said:
I have never seen them go against "the family".
 
Ibix said:
I'm suddenly in favour of Brexit... :wink:
Always look on the bright side of life - I could have been from Palermo! :cool:
 
Good deal for White Noise find in You Tube. As much as I enjoy music, there seems to be no way of getting away from it in most public places, at least in the ones I tend to hang out . I like hamburgers too, but not for breakfast lunch and dinner every #$% day.
 
Last edited:
Why does everywhere (hyperbole warning) insist on background music? Is there some philosophy behind it, or is it just a kind of "music sounds so civilised you know" not really thinking about it?
 
fresh_42 said:
Always look on the bright side of life - I could have been from Palermo! :cool:
fresh_42 said:
Always look on the bright side of life - I could have been from Palermo! :cool:
Is that near Kentucky?
Ibix said:
Why does everywhere (hyperbole warning) insist on background music? Is there some philosophy behind it, or is it just a kind of "music sounds so civilised you know" not really thinking about it?
Beats me. I remember a documentary on some authors trying to produce an audio on sounds of nature on how they could not go far-enough to get away from the sounds of "civilization". No matter how far they went into the wild ( I think this was in Brazil) , there was always some type or another of sound present near them. EDIT Actually, I I think re your observation, there is this implicit idea that most people prefer to veg out when together, rather than holding a conversation; that people need to, want to, get away from themselves , using music as a distraction. Kind of a nasty view of things if you ask me.
 
Haha, they had this weird confusion with this place called " Taller Latino" , which translates roughly to " Latino Workshop". Some mis understood and read it as wanting Latinos of greater height and were complaining about height discrimination.
 
I was about to comment to my friend that they were playing the song " It's the end of the world" (REM) while I was watching Trump's feud with Kim on TV ( on Friday the 13th *) -- while noting that 13 <-->31 , and October 31 is HAlloween . But I remembered his tendency/disposition towards conspiracy theories, so I kept a lid on it.

* I heard in some countries they use Tuesday the 13th as the "special" date.
 
Is a person, who doesn't eat meat, but mushrooms, which are neither meat nor plants, still a vegetarian?
 
Just passed 3:30:00 on white noise video from a Boeing plane. Kind of an hypnotic effect. Fun to see what Google's recommender system will make of it .Hope it does not run into any turbulence further down the line. It is an 11-hr flight...
 
fresh_42 said:
Is a person, who doesn't eat meat, but mushrooms, which are neither meat nor plants, still a vegetarian?

That should be a fungarian, or maybe a mycolarian. :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
BillTre said:
That should be a fungarian, or maybe a mycolarian. :smile:

EDIT: Most Fungarians are from Fudapest . ( Beat that one, Fresh). Just like Most Prussians are from PMoscow -- including, of course, Michelle PFeiffer .
 
WWGD said:
EDIT: Most Fungarians are from Fudapest . ( Beat that one, Fresh). Just like Most Prussians are from PMoscow -- including, of course, Michelle PFeiffer .
Not a chance. This one is clearly yours. But I have to mention, that those names are generally very misleading. I've been to PMoscow but neither saw any Moss nor a cow there. And apropos Fudapest: Hungerians rarely starve. All fraud. I don't dare to think about the Virgin Islands, which 45 reportedly spoke of today as he said he talked to their president. All fake.

But thanks for reminding me on Moscow, there's still this email I'll have to answer :sorry:
 
fresh_42 said:
Not a chance. This one is clearly yours. But I have to mention, that those names are generally very misleading. I've been to PMoscow but neither saw any Moss nor a cow there. And apropos Fudapest: Hungerians rarely starve. All fraud. I don't dare to think about the Virgin Islands, which 45 reportedly spoke of today as he said he talked to their president. All fake.

But thanks for reminding me on Moscow, there's still this email I'll have to answer :sorry:
PMoscow is Moscow after 12:00 .
 
I cannot understand the claim that more man than women cheat , in the sense of having sex with someone who is married. Given the assumption most people are not gay, it would seem for every men/woman who cheats s/he cheats with a man/woman.
 
WWGD said:
PMoscow is Moscow after 12:00 .
I have no active memory about the time after midnight. There is only a very unflattering photo which must have been me.
 
fresh_42 said:
I have no active memory about the time after midnight. There is only a very unflattering photo which must have been me.
We'll keep that a secret.
 
WWGD said:
I cannot understand the claim that more man than women cheat , in the sense of having sex with someone who is married. Given the assumption most people are not gay, it would seem for every men/woman who cheats s/he cheats with a man/woman.
Here is a thread about it.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dkotschessaa
fresh_42 said:
Here is a thread about it.
Can't belioeve I missed it. Maybe something was covering my view.
 
"Advertise here". I don't think here needs advertising, where else can one be?
 
WWGD said:
"Advertise here". I don't think here needs advertising, where else can one be?
I couldn't believe it, but there is actually no rule about advertisements. Maybe the 239th.
 
fresh_42 said:
I couldn't believe it, but there is actually no rule about advertisements. Maybe the 239th.
What's with the gaps? Maybe they mean something different by gaps in the Natural numbers?
 
WWGD said:
What's with the gaps? Maybe they mean something different by gaps in the Natural numbers?
They haven't been reported, yet. I'll ask the Grand Nagus for a complete version, next time I'll see him.