What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 754K views
fresh_42 said:
To which category belongs V. Anand?
I know nothing about him except that he is a very good chess player
 
Physics news on Phys.org
In biology/chemistry/biochemistry when you do simulations, they are "in silico", when you go to the lab, experiments are "in vivo" or "in vitro".

In electronics it doesn't matter if you do simulations or build a prototype, it is all "in silico".
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark
Borek said:
In biology/chemistry/biochemistry when you do simulations, they are "in silico", when you go to the lab, experiments are "in vivo" or "in vitro".

In electronics it doesn't matter if you do simulations or build a prototype, it is all "in silico".
And if you try to square the circle, it is "in vain" :cool:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Borek
Borek said:
In electronics it doesn't matter if you do simulations or build a prototype, it is all "in silico".
But you learn so much more from building a 'real' circuit. Might those hard-knock lessons be termed 'in vivo' ?
 
jim hardy said:
But you learn so much more from building a 'real' circuit. Might those hard-knock lessons be termed 'in vivo' ?
Depends on current and voltage. Sometimes they need to be termed "in shock".
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jim hardy
fresh_42 said:
Depends on current and voltage. Sometimes they need to be termed "in shock".
When I was an undergrad, some of my experiments were "in smokes"
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42 and jim hardy
WWGD said:
Many Indians and Chinese get upset with me when I ask him why they can't come up with 10 good Soccer players out of
1.3, 1.4 billion people respectively. But I never heard a good answer other than " Indians like Cricket" , etc.
Interesting, I lived in China for past 2 years. Maybe the most patriotic couple of individuals can turn a bit bitter, but for most Chinese people I met, talking about their football team is a good laugh.
There might be some cultural misunderstanding that can be misinterpreted as being condescending though, especially if Western people are involved.
 
fresh_42 said:
Me, too. Both. Might have been her hair besides her voice of course. I've recently recognized that I like either the female alto (like Jennifer Rush) or the whistle register (like Mariah Carey).
I hear all sorts of dogs barking every time Mariah emits a high pitch note...
 
WWGD said:
I hear all sorts of dogs barking every time Mariah emits a high pitch note...
"How's your cough?" - "Better. Down to five of seven neighborhood dogs answer."
 
WWGD said:
I hear all sorts of dogs barking every time Mariah emits a high pitch note...
Rather Rain Dogs Mariah, cuttin' through the canebrake, rattling the sill ...
 
Today I felt like Caryn Elaine Johnson (better known as Whoopi Goldberg, or still better Guinan) in Ghost.
 
WWGD said:
You got more discipline than I do, for sure.
It was a trade-off. I got to act like a teenager when I wasn't on duty. Made me very happy.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
fresh_42 said:
Today I felt like Caryn Elaine Johnson (better known as Whoopi Goldberg, or still better Guinan) in Ghost.
I didn't know you were in Ghost! What name did you go by ?? ;).
 
WWGD said:
I didn't know you were in Ghost! What name did you go by ?? ;).
Ex girlfriend in the Inbox. Weird. After 10+ years. I haven't the least idea whether or what to answer. I'm inclined to perform an authentication test. However, I'm not sure if this ended up in the same equivalence class as not to answer.
 
fresh_42 said:
Ex girlfriend in the Inbox. Weird. After 10+ years. I haven't the least idea whether or what to answer. I'm inclined to perform an authentication test. However, I'm not sure if this ended up in the same equivalence class as not to answer.
Sorry, you cannot surely expect any other than a bad pun from me by now, right? The statement that a German dude felt like a black lady from the States is strange enough to start with ;). Sorry, Frisch fir-svei, if I put you on the spot
 
Noisy Rhysling said:
It was a trade-off. I got to act like a teenager when I wasn't on duty. Made me very happy.
I am still trying to stop being a teenager in my work, in my life in general. This is a video of my story , or at least pretty close to it.
 
I saw a Doctor Who show these days with the following dialog:
"But I'm an adult now. I grew up!"
(Doc) "Don't worry. We'll get rid of that."
 
fresh_42 said:
Ex girlfriend in the Inbox. Weird. After 10+ years.

What was your immediate reaction? if your heart sort of leapt , well,

 
Last edited:
WWGD said:
Sorry, you cannot surely expect any other than a bad pun from me by now, right?
Right. But I know you can do better ... I mean meaner. o0)
The statement that a German dude felt like a black lady from the States is strange enough to start with ;).
As a Trekkie I don't care much about such unimportant details. It was the only movie I remembered in which voices of the past played a role (or is it passed in this case?)
 
jim hardy said:
What was your immediate reaction? if your heart sort leapt , well,
Not sure whether it is about attending a funeral in Ossetia. This is one of the possibilities I want to have answers to for myself before I read the email. I still curse in Ossetian.
 
I couldn't help it. Went to a meetup on Maria DB. Presenter came from Helsinki to give the presentation.
When the presentation seemed to be over, I asked: " Are you Finnish(ed)"?
 
WWGD said:
I couldn't help it. Went to a meetup on Maria DB. Presenter came from Helsinki to give the presentation.
When the presentation seemed to be over, I asked: " Are you Finnish(ed)"?
You live a dangerous life dude ... Just be a bit more careful in certain areas of NYC, please!
 
fresh_42 said:
You live a dangerous life dude ... Just be a bit more careful in certain areas of NYC, please!
Hey, I survived some 4 landlords, a bar across from me with people shouting till 4 a.m., etc. I think I've earned my [whatever] heart. Not as tough as the guy who cut his arm to escape from under a boulder :http://www.mammothtimes.com/content/tragedy-and-triumph-author-aron-ralston-cut-his-arm-save-his-life but I've paid my dues :).
 
fresh_42 said:
I'm considering to call you John, John McClane. :cool:
Bet he hasn't eaten the street food I have ( where, BTW, I play another one of my horrible puns:" Lamb over Rice, or Lamb over ice")?
This is my version of "don't ask don't tell" I won't ask you how you can charge me just $4 for a plate of rice, lamb and vegetables, and you don't tell me what's in the plate.
 
No one shall not say that sports isn't funny. 1st PAT: right post - failed; 2nd PAT: too far left - failed. Doesn't look as if there was a chance for a third TD to have a try. Maybe it'll get even more funny with a third and I'll see a failed conversion. In this case I truly hope my neighbors have a deep sleep.
 
I don't know how this place ( coffee shop) survives: It is open until 3 in the afternoon daily and it has no in
 
I haven't been able to discipline myself for a while now, into doing my monthly fasting.
 
WWGD said:
I don't know how this place ( coffee shop) survives: It is open until 3 in the afternoon daily and it has no in
Our standard explanation for these kind of restaurants has usually been: Mafia money washing saloon.
It is a cash in receipts out machinery. Customers aren't needed.
 
WWGD said:
My definition is data characterized by the 4 Vs: Volume, Variety, Velocity and Veracity. Although I agree that the companies you mentioned are major players.

You mean the definition on the test?

:)