What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 755K views
fresh_42 said:
They haven't been reported, yet. I'll ask the Grand Nagus for a complete version, next time I'll see him.
I think Mfb won't like you calling him by that name ;).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do physicists don't get tired to praise Newton for the calculus of differentiation, only to use Leibniz' notation whenever possible?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dkotschessaa
fresh_42 said:
Why do physicists don't get tired to praise Newton for the calculus of differentiation, only to use Leibniz' notation whenever possible?
Ah, that old dispute, the 330-year-old grudge. Why not say it was Newbniz or Leiton, who discovered/created Differential Calculus and call it a tie?
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Bystander
fresh_42 said:
Why do physicists don't get tired to praise Newton for the calculus of differentiation, only to use Leibniz' notation whenever possible?

Same reason the 'dog' section is bigger than the 'cat' section in the supermarket. I don't remember where I was going with this line of reasoning now.
 
fresh_42 said:
Why do physicists don't get tired to praise Newton for the calculus of differentiation, only to use Leibniz' notation whenever possible?
But I agree that neither the whole 'fluxions' thing is not very practical, nor the "ghosts of departed quanties"-type layout are very practical.
 
WWGD said:
But I agree that neither the whole 'fluxions' thing is not very practical, nor the "ghosts of departed quanties"-type layout are very practical.
You should take a glimpse into our Quantum Physics forum. There is a whole lot of fluxions and ghosts. O.k. they try to hide it behind local variables, Bell, Copenhagen and similar distractions, but their camouflage is lousy. :cool: <... run, duck and cover ... (any tips for a good covering, mine are all only double covers?)>

But another question: What is it with the Americans and Zombies? Compared to the amount of B- and C-class movies, series and variations, I cannot but ask myself: why?
 
fresh_42 said:
You should take a glimpse into our Quantum Physics forum. There is a whole lot of fluxions and ghosts. O.k. they try to hide it behind local variables, Bell, Copenhagen and similar distractions, but their camouflage is lousy. :cool: <... run, duck and cover ... (any tips for a good covering, mine are all only double covers?)>

But another question: What is it with the Americans and Zombies? Compared to the amount of B- and C-class movies, series and variations, I cannot but ask myself: why?

Maybe consider a subcover, hoping you're working with compact spaces. And I have no clue about zombies. Let me look up a post that someone did on it. EDIT: Zoobyshoe had some good insights on this:
https://www.physicsforums.com/search/23253465/?q=Zombies&o=relevance&c[node]=14&c[user][0]=1306

EDIT: See around #s 2599, 2600 here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/random-thoughts-part-4.786642/page-130#post-5257336
 
Last edited:
Wow, seems PCs rely heavily on cache when playing music: I disconnected for around a minute, You Tube song kept playing all along.
 
fresh_42 said:
But another question: What is it with the Americans and Zombies? Compared to the amount of B- and C-class movies, series and variations, I cannot but ask myself: why?

Interesting talk held at my University from an expert in the field!

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark and fresh_42
I'm seeing Pepe Romero on Friday! Once in a lifetime thing for sure.

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark
dkotschessaa said:
Interesting talk held at my University from an expert in the field!


The dark hair/background makes for a nice complement/setup for the topic. Wouldn't seem as convincing if presented by a blond in a well-lit stage.
 
dkotschessaa said:
I'm seeing Pepe Romero on Friday! Once in a lifetime thing for sure.


Tell him I said hi.
 
WWGD said:
The dark hair/background makes for a nice complement/setup for the topic. Wouldn't seem as convincing if presented by a blond in a well-lit stage.

You'd think in Florida that lighting wouldn't be an issue.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
WWGD said:
Tell him I said hi.

I'm sure a "YO PEPAAAY!" from the audience won't seem out of place at a classical guitar concert.
 
dkotschessaa said:
I'm sure a "YO PEPAAAY!" from the audience won't seem out of place at a classical guitar concert.
Maybe if you dressed as a vampire in a dark background...?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dkotschessaa
Wow, this guy eating a sandwich, around 6'' by 6'' by 1.5'' for some 20 minutes now. Kind of a thin guy too. Reminds me of cobras eating large animals.
 
dkotschessaa said:
I'm sure a "YO PEPAAAY!" from the audience won't seem out of place at a classical guitar concert.

It'd be better than a cellphone going off..

Saw Carlos Montoya in person ca 1966 . Amazing how good classical guitarist can fill the whole room with beautiful sound. Sure do wish i could operate one.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dkotschessaa
jim hardy said:
It'd be better than a cellphone going off..

.

...and someone in the audience picking it up while shouting: " No, I can talk, I am not busy"... and/or having " La Cucaracha" as a ringtone.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dkotschessaa
jim hardy said:
It'd be better than a cellphone going off..

Saw Carlos Montoya in person ca 1966 . Amazing how good classical guitarist can fill the whole room with beautiful sound. Sure do wish i could operate one.

I haven't played in awhile, but looking forward to getting back to it now that I finished school. Here is me quite a few years ago: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=74578
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, jim hardy and fresh_42
collinsmark said:
That reminds me; where is @zoobyshoe? Zooby, are you out there?
Indeed. @zoobyshoe? Are you there? Answer, or I'll have to sing the lost zooby song, and no one wants that.

(Seriously, zooby, I hope all's well)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark
dkotschessaa said:
Here is me quite a few years ago:

I sure enjoyed "Autumn Leaves". Takes me right back to Montreal...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dkotschessaa and Casmo
I've lost so much weight that I'm having to use safety pins to hold my clothes on. I need new clothes. My doctor was frightened when she saw me, asked me what was wrong, said it wasn't normal. I just can't eat anymore. Well, I haven't dropped below 92 pounds yet, so I am ok, I used to weigh 92 pounds when I was in my teens, but my face does look very gaunt.

Oh, and for people that have been wondering where I've been, I bought a house. I found out that my mother died 3 days before I closed. My baby sister living in her house in Houston had the roof cave in from the rain from hurricane Harvey (corrected storm name) which was when I closed. Just lots going on.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark
Evo said:
in Houston had the roof cave in from the rain from hurricane Irma which was
"Irma?" Not Harvey?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Evo
Congratulations on the house, @Evo. I'm very sorry to hear about your mother and your sister's roof. It does sound like a lot going on - don't forget to take care of yourself.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, WWGD, Evo and 1 other person
Evo said:
I just can't eat anymore.
I'd lost interest too.
i started making myself a good breakfast every day - egg&cheese&mushroom omelette with a spoonful of salsa fried in real butter or sometimes with a couple strips of bacon diced in.
Makes the day go better.
With a good breakfast i usually skip midday meal - just an apple maybe with a string cheese .
Holding steady about 5 pounds over my high school weight, but what's significant is how good i feel.

Morning ritual: take my heart pills, check glucose, eat breakfast, check in on PF ...

I've come to regard the body as just a vehicle that conveys our consciousness through the time allotted us.
MIght as well take care of it - like a car , if it's kept in some semblance of good repair it'll give a comfortable ride. Wash frequently and avoid harsh chemicals, use only good fuel.

May we continue to age gracefully.:smile:

old jim
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Evo
Bystander said:
"Irma?" Not Harvey?
Ooops, Harvey, Irma was my brother in Florida.

jim hardy said:
I'd lost interest too.
i started making myself a good breakfast every day - egg&cheese&mushroom omelette with a spoonful of salsa fried in real butter or sometimes with a couple strips of bacon diced in.
Oooh, I love omelettes like that, but mornings are the hardest time for me to eat.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark
Evo said:
Oooh, I love omelettes like that, but mornings are the hardest time for me to eat.
For some time, I drank coke with apple juice to raise the sugar level in the morning. O.k. orange juice is probably more common, but I just wanted to say, that you please drink a lot. My best wishes! Don't use the Telly Savalas breakfast: coffee black, ...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Evo