What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 753K views
fresh_42 said:
I have one those, which is build in a way thermos are. But it's plastic.

I decided to mirror their in my eyes devalued term of "continentals", which they have for the rest of Europe, and will call them islanders. Still better than what a colleague of mine once used: teabags.
Ouch! Still sore over Brexit? It seems at least 50% of " Islanders" are too.

EDIT: What is the name of the cup? Will consider buying one.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
Ouch! Still sore over Brexit? It seems at least 50% of " Islanders" are too.
This is independent of the Brexit. I like the Brexit, because UK had always been merely more than an obstacle. They had special payment conditions, didn't participate in the Schengen agreement and favor an Adam Smith capitalism I don't appreciate. To say it with Monty Python: "What have you lost?"
EDIT: What is the name of the cup? Will consider buying one.
I have no idea. It's one of these things you pick up during a lifetime and which you don't have any idea about where, when and why. Yet, my list of unintended losses is longer ... You don't need a formal divorce to get ripped :frown:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Grands
fresh_42 said:
This is independent of the Brexit. I like the Brexit, because UK had always been merely more than an obstacle. They had special payment conditions, didn't participate in the Schengen agreement and favor an Adam Smith capitalism I don't appreciate. To say it with Monty Python: "What have you lost?"

I have no idea. It's one of these things you pick up during a lifetime and which you don't have any idea about where, when and why. Yet, my list of unintended losses is longer ... You don't need a formal divorce to get ripped :frown:
Embarrassingly, after 10 years in PF I still don't know how to use multi-quotes :(
i) Rule of thumb I know is losses from 3 house moves equal losses from one housefire. But I don't know that much about getting ripped.

I almost used by mistake the emoticon ;( . Wonder if it means anything.
 
WWGD said:
Embarrassingly, after 10 years in PF I still don't know how to use multi-quotes :(
You simply only click the "quote" button (multiple times, yet finitely often) and then "insert quotes" in the reply area. You can also change the order by left-click-movement.
i) Rule of thumb I know is losses from 3 house moves equal losses from one housefire. But I don't know that much about getting ripped.
We have the same saying here. And this adds up to the others.
I almost used by mistake the emoticon ;( . Wonder if it means anything.
I have found a translation page on Wiki, here and here, which I'm of course too lazy to look up or learn. Guess it means something sad.
 
fresh_42 said:
This is independent of the Brexit. I like the Brexit, because UK had always been merely more than an obstacle. They had special payment conditions, didn't participate in the Schengen agreement and favor an Adam Smith capitalism I don't appreciate. To say it with Monty Python: "What have you lost?"
:frown:

The Scots may be an exception to this. They are pretty far Left of the rest of Britain , AFAIK.
 
WWGD said:
The Scots may be an exception to this. They are pretty far Left of the rest of Britain , AFAIK.
Here's how I like to describe the difference between Scotts and the non-Celtic tribes:
If you meet ten drunken football (Am.: soccer) fans on the street, which are Scotts, chances are good you'll have a great party. Whereas with the others, non-Celtic tribes you can only have a brawl or run away. That's experience, no prejudice.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Grands
Gutt Nacht and Gutten Jahr, Fresh, Starbuch Macht jetzt . Nein Haben Internet Bei Mir Hause. Gutte Jahr.
 
WWGD said:
Gutt Nacht and Gutten Jahr, Fresh, Starbuch Macht jetzt . Nein Haben Internet Bei Mir Hause. Gutte Jahr.
Thanks, I guess. You'll have still 3:25 to go. Times square?
 
Hah !
upload_2018-1-1_0-2-13.png


-22 °F right now, too... . :snow:
upload_2018-1-1_0-20-17.png
 
Attachments
  • upload_2018-1-1_0-2-13.png
    upload_2018-1-1_0-2-13.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 461
  • upload_2018-1-1_0-20-17.png
    upload_2018-1-1_0-20-17.png
    4 KB · Views: 429
Last edited:
WWGD said:
Wonder if the " Likewise" is a direct translation from some language.
I would say the direct translation in both my other languages (Swedish and Spanish).
Psinter said:
Speaking of cold, I must tell you. I recently saw snow for the first time in my life and it was amazing :partytime:!
Try having your entire city covered in a non-negligible layer of snow for two or three months a year and report back ... :rolleyes:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Psinter
fresh_42 said:
Thanks, I guess. You'll have still 3:25 to go. Times square?
Nein. Ich went home. Sorry for the boring story. Too cold, and too crowded at (Times ## \times## Times)=##Times^2 ##
 
Orodruin said:
I would say the direct translation in both my other languages (Swedish and Spanish).

Try having your entire city covered in a non-negligible layer of snow for two or three months a year and report back ... :rolleyes:

True, looks fine in post cards, not so great with 2F winds hitting you in the face . First it falls looks nice. After a few hours: " When will someone get the #$%@ out of here"?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Psinter and fresh_42
WWGD said:
True, looks fine in post cards, not so great with 2F winds hitting you in the face . First it falls looks nice. After a few hours: " When will someone get the #$%@ out of here"?
When I was a PhD student there was an unexpected early and very heavy snowfall. At five another PhD student said "I am going home before this becomes worse". An hour and a half later he came back and pointed out at the highway, which you could see from the department and where the queues were staggering, "my car is over there".
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Continuing on this snow topic, I usually fool myself pretty well into believing Winters are even cool, welcome. Until there are two weeks of it left and then I say, let's get this #$% Winter over with!
 
" If you cannot see the content of this post then click _here_ ". But the link "click_here_" usually does not work either. Should we go on: If "click_here link does not work..."
 
Last edited:
WWGD said:
Continuing on this snow topic, I usually fool myself pretty well into believing Winters are even cool, welcome. Until there are two weeks of it left and then I say, let's get this #$% Winter over with!
Rent a groundhog!
 
Not as much fun as it may first seem
fresh_42 said:
Rent a groundhog!
Groundhog is just the messenger, though.
 
@Psinter :
It gets so cold here in Winter, we use refrigerators to _Warm things up_ !
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Psinter
WWGD said:
@Psinter :
It gets so cold here in Winter, we use refrigerators to _Warm things up_ !
:oldlaugh: That's hilarious.

I recently saw today in the news that the cold is starting affect the south of the US. Many people ending in ER :nb). The area I'm visiting went below 30F today. I saw again little bits of snow ❄ falling :partytime: . Although it wasn't much.
 
Chestermiller said:
What is the sine of angle SAM?
@Chestermiller I had to make this lame joke, sorry, and I did it here in order not to derail the other thread:

Those typos! But what should the sign of uncle Sam be?
 
fresh_42 said:
@Chestermiller I had to make this lame joke, sorry, and I did it here in order not to derail the other thread:

Those typos! But what should the sign of uncle Sam be?
Angle(Uncle) Sam is how you pronounce when you have a gold (cold).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Asymptotic
I thought I had a brilliant idea to send myself reminders of different sorts to myself by phone. Then I realized... I don't have an internal search engine...nor the ability to delete eventually-useless data. Wonder if Root Explorer can take care of it, or if I may have to upload phone data to PC and then use PC search. EDIT: Part of issue is I don't know where the self-messages end up " living" Are they in my phone memory or in a Phone company server?
 
Last edited:
WWGD said:
I thought I had a brilliant idea to send myself reminders of different sorts to myself by phone. Then I realized... I don't have an internal search engine...nor the ability to delete eventually-useless data. Wonder if Root Explorer can take care of it, or if I may have to upload phone data to PC and then use PC search. EDIT: Part of issue is I don't know where the self-messages end up " living" Are they in my phone memory or in a Phone company server?
I don't know if they are stored by the service provider (most likely yes in a huge database that clients have no access to), but for certain they are in the phone. They are in a sqlite database with .db extension. You need root to access the file with an explorer. Perhaps an Sqlite Viewer will let you view the sms/mms database. The viewer must have root access though to read it directly.

Source: https://www.quora.com/Where-are-mms-messages-saved-on-android
______________________________________________________________________

I was thinking, why do people call each other names? Really, why?

I have heard girls calling their boys: "Daddy." And boys calling their girls "Babe." I have also heard women calling their husbands: "Honey."

Woman: Hey, honey.
Man: What is it, my agave syrup?
:oldlaugh:

I can't imagine a man calling his wife: "My cotton candy." or if you want to get nerdy: "My dIssacharide." :olduhh:

I shouldn't have thought of this. Now a bunch of funny names came to my mind. "My sugar beet. My diabeetus." The name "sweetbums" I think I have heard too.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Psinter said:
I don't know if they are stored by the service provider (most likely yes in a huge database that clients have no access to), but for certain they are in the phone. They are in a sqlite database with .db extension. You need root to access the file with an explorer. Perhaps an Sqlite Viewer will let you view the sms/mms database. The viewer must have root access though to read it directly.

Source: https://www.quora.com/Where-are-mms-messages-saved-on-android
______________________________________________________________________

I was thinking, why do people call each other names? Really, why?

I have heard girls calling their boys: "Daddy." And boys calling their girls "Babe." I have also heard women calling their husbands: "Honey."

Woman: Hey, honey.
Man: What is it, my agave syrup?
:oldlaugh:

I can't imagine a man calling his wife: "My cotton candy." or if you want to get nerdy: "My dIssacharide." :olduhh:

I shouldn't have thought of this. Now a bunch of funny names came to my mind. "My sugar beet. My diabeetus." The name "sweetbums" I think I have heard too.
How about : my crack cocaine, my Rat poison, my raw sewage? ( In a good way, of course).
 
WWGD said:
How about : my crack cocaine, my Rat poison, my raw sewage? ( In a good way, of course).
o_O :biggrin:
_____________________________________________________________

So... If you have a bachelor in physics... are you a phyisician?

Trust me, I'm a physician. Just look at my degree in physics. :oldlaugh:
 
Psinter said:
If you have a bachelor in physics... are you a phyisician?
No. Not even on your way to becoming one ... unless you also have graduated from med school.

A person doing physics is a physicist.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Psinter
Orodruin said:
No. Not even on your way to becoming one ... unless you also have graduated from med school.

A person doing physics is a physicist.
But sometimes, it's a bit more difficult. My math professor told me the following phone call by his mother.
Mother calling the doctor: "Mr. ..., can you come over? I need a shot against my heavy migraine episode."
Doctor: "Why don't you ask your son? I've heard he's a doctor, too."
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Psinter
Orodruin said:
A person doing physics is a physicist.
Yup.

I was messing around :biggrin:.
fresh_42 said:
Doctor: "Why don't you ask your son? I've heard he's a doctor, too."
That must have been epic.

Dr. Doppler. Treasure Planet said:
"Dangit, Jim, I'm an astronomer, not a doctor! I mean, I am a doctor, but not that kind of doctor. I have a doctorate — it's not the same thing! You can't help people with a doctorate, you just SIT there and you're USELESS!"


I'm not a lawyer, but I'm an expert in the laws of physical science. :woot:
 
Normally, in the US when you say your a doctor, people think you are talking about being a medical doctor.
However, when I spent a year post-doc'ing in the UK (in the 1990's) I meant several (non-academic) people (in the Newcastle area) who told me they thought PhD's were "real" doctors.

Maybe they were just being nice, but I liked it.