What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 756K views
Psinter said:
o_O :biggrin:
_____________________________________________________________

So... If you have a bachelor in physics... are you a phyisician?

Trust me, I'm a physician. Just look at my degree in physics. :oldlaugh:

?? Don't see how conclusion follows from my post.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
BillTre said:
Normally, in the US when you say your a doctor, people think you are talking about being a medical doctor.
However, when I spent a year post-doc'ing in the UK (in the 1990's) I meant several (non-academic) people (in the Newcastle area) who told me they thought PhD's were "real" doctors.

Maybe they were just being nice, but I liked it.
We don't say or use PhD here, so the title is Dr. ..., in this case it has been Dr. rer. nat. and professors are Prof. Dr. ...
 
fresh_42 said:
We don't say or use PhD here, so the title is Dr. ..., in this case it has been Dr. rer. nat. and professors are Prof. Dr. ...
And Euro profs. are the healthiest ones, spending many years at the Gymnasium...(?!?)
 
Last edited:
I frankly cannot understand the reason for all the dark coffeeshops without change of decor for Winter. Isn't it dark-and- dreary-enough outside to go inside of/into into a .. dark-and-dreary coffeeshop? ...Redrum...Redrum...
 
They are trying to do everything to lower traffic deaths/accidents, _except_ for a very simple measure that would work: making sidewalks at right angles ( angels?) to each other, so that cars are forced to slow down when turning.
 
Some of the power soups (Pho) full of meat, etc. , steaming, seems ready-made for a cold Winter; I don't see how it can be popular in countries ( SE Asia) without cold Winters, maybe without Winters at all.
 
BillTre said:
Maybe they were just being nice, but I liked it.
As I understand it, a lot of MDs have had some exposure to research work. Generally, they hate it. Fair enough - if they wanted to be scientists they'd have signed up for a science program. They just want to do the job, and have little interest in rewriting its rulebook. But medicine has come an enormous long way in the last century or so, and medics seem to me to be very aware that this progress is entirely due to research work. Which they hate and find difficult, so they look on those of us who enjoy it as some kind of higher level of intellect.

The counterpoint, of course, is that without an army of medics actually practicing medicine there's no point to any medical research. And I couldn't do a medic's job. So it's a synergy, not a competition.
 
Holly snap! A recent event got me thinking: How much energy does lightning carries?

I was slepping, minding my own business, when suddenly... boom! I heard a loud whipping noise followed by grumbles and growl noises heard in thunderstorms. Like the sounds in this video. It woke the hell out of me :cry:. My heart was racing. I was like :oldeek:, and then like :confused:. In the end was like :cry: (I'm scared).

Seriously, it was really loud. Like a whip hitting the ground with extreme power. Overkill. The initial sound was exactly like in this video, but many times louder and then followed by the noises in the linked video above.

 
Ibix said:
But medicine has come an enormous long way in the last century or so, and medics seem to me to be very aware that this progress is entirely due to research work.

I have to think Surgery is driven from the other end of the chain - clever practitioners figuring out a better way.
My most recent heart stents went in through my wrist not my femoral artery, what a wonderful improvement in technique.
Ibix said:
The counterpoint, of course, is that without an army of medics actually practicing medicine there's no point to any medical research. And I couldn't do a medic's job. So it's a synergy, not a competition.
Exactly. Knowledge flows both ways.

What's going on in cancer research is amazing, though.
http://www.cancernetwork.com/
Those TV commercials you see for Ibrance ? The stuff seems to be working for Fair Anne.
Doc M was interested enough to be aware of it before it was approved. We're among Pfizer's first customers for the stuff so surely her results are fed back to the research database.
 
Kim Jong Un's mom deserves a medal for endurance; his birth took around two-and-a-half years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Jong-un

!

Or maybe those who wrote the article are not much into precision: Yes, he was born some time between 1982 and 1984. Close-enough, no need for more precision. Kim weights between 72 and 400 lbs and is between 1'5'' and 7' tall.
 
Back from the dead, after a corruption in the database that wiped some users.

Happy to be back!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
The more I write in English, the more I make those standard mistakes: write the first word that comes to mind which coincides with the sound of what I want to right. That s*****. And it didn't ever happen before, e.g. at school. Are there any tricks, to avoid these kind of mistakes? I normally see them, if I read what I wrote ... Shouldn't be that difficult to reverse the order.
 
Look (picture in link). If I see a girl wearing this in real life, I would kindly stop and graciously let her know that she looks awesome. I love those clothes. Definitely looks like something Erga Kenesis Di Raskreia would wear in her youth. Although eliminating the skirt part and wearing pants with long black boots like she always does. There is another character which I know would definitely look good on it, but I forgot her name. Too bad you don't see clothes like that in real life.
 
Psinter said:
Too bad you don't see clothes like that in real life.
Oh, you do. Simply not on NY's 5th avenue.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Psinter
fresh_42 said:
Oh, you do. Simply not on NY's 5th avenue.
For real?! Where? :bugeye:
 
Psinter said:
For real?! Where? :bugeye:
Caucasus would be a good place to start.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Psinter
fresh_42 said:
Caucasus would be a good place to start.
Caucasus, caucasus... Doesn't ring a bell. Let me look for it... Oho, found it! :biggrin:

It must be awesome there! I love those styles :oldlove:. I for instance have been trying to get my hands on https://vgy.me/II64T5, but on white. With gabardine woven fibre for the coat. Gabardine weave looks pretty neat, it has a kind sheen to it (not too shiny, but not too opaque either). White because it fits my style better. Psinter of the Landegre family :DD. Just kidding. (The Landegre family looks classy on white).
 
Well, those cloths are usually still for Sundays and celebrations. But the farther you travel away from cities to small villages, the higher the chances are you'll see them.
 
fresh_42 said:
Well, those cloths are usually still for Sundays and celebrations. But the farther you travel away from cities to small villages, the higher the chances are you'll see them.
:bugeye:

Goal for 2019. Visit a Caucasus* place.
 
Last edited:
Ouch! One of my happy places closed down. I drowned my sorrows on a Wendy's Triple Bypass...er, Triple cheese.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Psinter
fresh_42 said:
Well, those cloths are usually still for Sundays and celebrations. But the farther you travel away from cities to small villages, the higher the chances are you'll see them.
How about in Konigsberg ( right behind you?) , if you cross all bridges going around each exactly once?
 
Psinter said:
:bugeye:

Goal for 2019. Visit a Caucasus* place.
And in some you may run into a real Cossack dance ( See after around 1:25 ). I can't imagine the regime needed to become good at this. It seems painful even to watch.
 
I always liked polishing and trying to better present or frame my questions; but, this place takes the cake.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Psinter and jim hardy
If somebody writes a book about the science of irrational thoughts, beliefs, and behavior, I'll buy it.
 
WWGD said:
And in some you may run into a real Cossack dance ( See after around 1:25 ). I can't imagine the regime needed to become good at this. It seems painful even to watch.
No link.
 
Reading about the flu shot, it honestly feels like reading about alternative medicine (effectiveness is statistical or unproven for current year, and impossible to know according to some governmental websites). Everything is a: "There are no enough studies to confirm or talk about X or Y subject.", "It's not possible to know.", "Everything is an estimate and assumptions given that certain conditions are satisfied.", etc. And when the original websites from your country's government get emotional by mentioning "Loved ones" (appealing to emotion), instead of just being scientific about it, it makes you think twice about getting it. You convince me through reason, not emotion. Perhaps they think they can convince more people if they appeal to emotion, with colorful pictures, etc., rather than using a different non emotional approach.

I'll get vaccinated for this season, but whoa I frown down upon those websites "educational" approaches.
 
Psinter said:
You convince me through reason, not emotion.
Unfortunately, this probably makes you different from at least 95% of the general population so, yes, I think they convince more people by appealing to emotion.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre, OmCheeto and Psinter
Psinter said:
No link.
Sorry:


I did one myself. It lasted a whole ...0.5 seconds, after which I fell and gave up.

And this one too, after around 0:23. A bit over the top, but amazing leg work.:

 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Psinter
Posty McPostface said:
If somebody writes a book about the science of irrational thoughts, beliefs, and behavior, I'll buy it.
There are plenty, written mainly by Economists and Cognitive Psychologists.
 
Orodruin said:
Unfortunately, this probably makes you different from at least 95% of the general population so, yes, I think they convince more people by appealing to emotion.
100%, if you're hungry, et al.

"When a person is hungry, angry, loney, or tired, the percentage rockets up to 100% of the time." [ref]​

Why I try to never shop on an empty stomach. Ehr mehr gerd.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Psinter