What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 761K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Pepper Mint
- 91
- 139
I just checked my bank account and am very satisfied with the amount I have earned so far, not much though but I wonder if I you also agree that I should fly. 

Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,408
- 5,260
Pokemon Go is becoming very popular and there are already lots of reports of accidents, robberies, and just plain stupidity. I think that I had two players even run by my house today. I was looking out the window when two guys ran up to my backyard fence while looking at their phones. When they got there, they seemed to decide that they couldn't get to something and ran off in another direction. It's going to be a strange summer. 

DiracPool
- 1,254
- 514
I don't have the source data, but a few years ago I estimated that, planet-wide, 250,000 people died everyday and 350,000 new kids were born everyday. Can you imagine what the oceans would look like if 250,000 humpback whales died every day?!
http://www.grindtv.com/wildlife/wal...to-land-again/?yptr=yahoo#8FY1LDJZg0QkT6oS.97
http://www.grindtv.com/wildlife/wal...to-land-again/?yptr=yahoo#8FY1LDJZg0QkT6oS.97
DiracPool
- 1,254
- 514
See, I knew I should have been a rock star instead of a scientist. BAD ME, BAD ME!
https://www.yahoo.com/music/mick-jagger-dad-again-age-72-231614717.html
https://www.yahoo.com/music/mick-jagger-dad-again-age-72-231614717.html
Pepper Mint
- 91
- 139
I am not a fan of psychology or psychiatry. But what terminology should I use to describe people who I once shared with them, for example, my thoughts of how important about being able to land a job was to me and later they turned against me and threatened me that they would fire me if I disobeyed their orders ?
- 20,819
- 28,467
?
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,408
- 5,260
The Pokemon insanity continues - Yelp now allows you to filter businesses by whether there is a PokeStop nearby. 

wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
- 4,411
- 552
Is 65 to late to get a job, i have been out of the job market for 8 years and i am now looking for a job in engineering , i have a wealth of skills, electrical, pneumatics,
mechanics, but i can not get a job, what do you think is 65 to old for a job?
mechanics, but i can not get a job, what do you think is 65 to old for a job?
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
- 9,864
- 4,896
wolram said:what do you think is 65 to old for a job?
Perhaps as a direct hire. "Catbert" in HR department wants somebody from whom he can extract thirty years service.
But
In my (former) industry there is a whole world of contractors who travel from site to site
https://roadtechs.com/
https://www.nukeworker.com/
http://www.industrialprojectsreport.com/RoadTechs
it's not uncommon for someone with a niche skillset to spend a decade in one place as a contractor.
Your skills sound like an I&C(instrumentation and controls) type .
old jim
Last edited:
zoobyshoe
- 6,514
- 1,255
A boiled watch never pots.
zoobyshoe
- 6,514
- 1,255
Adventures in Beetleism:
This guy on the Beetle forum was watching a youtube on how to adjust his valves. Apparently, whoever made the video wasn't completely explicit and, instead of saying you had to point the distributor rotor toward the #1 cylinder spark plug wire, he instructed the viewer to point it toward the # 1 cylinder. And this guy did just that, and royally screwed up his valve adjustment.
This guy on the Beetle forum was watching a youtube on how to adjust his valves. Apparently, whoever made the video wasn't completely explicit and, instead of saying you had to point the distributor rotor toward the #1 cylinder spark plug wire, he instructed the viewer to point it toward the # 1 cylinder. And this guy did just that, and royally screwed up his valve adjustment.
Pepper Mint
- 91
- 139
True...it's strange to me.jim hardy said:A watched Xerox machine never warms up..
- 20,819
- 28,467
jim hardy said:A watched Xerox machine never warms up..
Pepper Mint said:True...it's strange to me.
- 13,926
- 16,805
It's only a problem for those with a cold, rational gaze. Fluffy warm humanities types get almost instant response.jim hardy said:A watched Xerox machine never warms up..
It does them no good, however. One generally needs an engineering degree of some kind to actually operate an office copier/printer/scanner/fax/kitchen sink.
- 20,819
- 28,467
... and a linguistic degree of some kind to read the manual.Ibix said:One generally needs an engineering degree of some kind to actually operate an office copier/printer/scanner/fax/kitchen sink.
- 13,926
- 16,805
I've never seen an operating manual or any kind of training material for our office printers. Sure I can use them to print and copy, and I deduced some of its job management features by studying the control panel. But I have the feeling that anything with a touch screen can probably do more than that...fresh_42 said:... and a linguistic degree of some kind to read the manual.![]()
It's just occurred to me that I can probably download a manual for it. I've only been working here ten years...

- 20,819
- 28,467
It might be different nowadays. In the 80s manuals often have been translated from some asian language into english and from there into my language. The results had been somewhere between funny and totally cryptic.
- 13,926
- 16,805
I was in Brunei for a few months, years ago. I gather the Sultan has got religion since then, but at the time it was quite tolerant of its large chinese minority and many westerners. Many restaurants served alcohol, and they all had a sign up saying, in Malay, that muslims were not allowed to drink alcohol. It was also written in English... almost. The English actually said "Muslims are restricted to drinking alcohol in this restaurant".
As I recall, the signs were different styles in different places, so I presume this was the official English statement that was carefully reproduced on all such signs.
As I recall, the signs were different styles in different places, so I presume this was the official English statement that was carefully reproduced on all such signs.
ebos
Dearly Missed
- 136
- 48
A watched microwave oven distorts space-time.
- 20,819
- 28,467
In this case you really should lower the power! The energy density is far too high if you can recognize it!ebos said:A watched microwave oven distorts space-time.
- 13,926
- 16,805
Only during a supernova.ebos said:A watched microwave oven distorts space-time.
zoobyshoe
- 6,514
- 1,255
Well, a watch in the microwave gets distorted.ebos said:A watched microwave oven distorts space-time.
ebos
Dearly Missed
- 136
- 48
The quick wits are out in full force today...
zoobyshoe
- 6,514
- 1,255
A watched wit always quips.
zoobyshoe
- 6,514
- 1,255
So, yeah, I got distracted and sure enough the pot started to boil. Now I wonder how long it'll take for the stew to cook.
- 20,819
- 28,467
I'm the only person I know of who burnt water (several times). Interesting things happen to the pot then ...
DennisN
Gold Member
- 2,197
- 10,329
Original Apollo 11 guidance computer (AGC) source code:
The code that took America to the moon was just published to GitHub, and it’s like a 1960s time capsule (Quartz)
The code on GitHub: http://github.com/chrislgarry/Apollo-11/
The code that took America to the moon was just published to GitHub, and it’s like a 1960s time capsule (Quartz)
The code on GitHub: http://github.com/chrislgarry/Apollo-11/
Pepper Mint
- 91
- 139
Farmers encouraged Christians to fight more. 
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2