What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 752K views
A couple of hours ago, when plunged abruptly into darkness...

Oh, it's a power cut. Never mind, I have plenty of flashlights, and by anti-Murphy's law I recharged all the batteries yesterday.

So until the power comes back, I'll just... no, that won't work, I'll just... no, that's no use either. Help! No internet! (And I don't have mobile data).

So I'll go outside in the freezing but clear weather (coldest day this year so far at -3C) and look at stars for a while. Don't often get the chance. Saw Andromeda galaxy - not often possible around here.

(Power came back after a little more than an hour).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, beamie564, Sophia and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
I have the impression that my life is not random-enough: I have run into way more people who are ## 3\sigma ## taller than average than into people who are smaller than average by the same amount.
 
WWGD said:
I have the impression that my life is not random-enough: I have run into way more people who are ## 3\sigma ## taller than average than into people who are smaller than average by the same amount.
OK, we can meet sometime, I'll improve your statistics :-P
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Sophia said:
OK, we can meet sometime, I'll improve your statistics :-p
Thanks, but a bit too late -- I just ran into the local basketball team.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Sophia and fresh_42
WWGD said:
Thanks, but a bit too late -- I just ran into the local basketball team.
I've searched for dwarfs where @Sophia lives, but haven't found any. However, their fairy tales are full of diminutives, so there is still a good chance to improve your statistics.
 
fresh_42 said:
I've searched for dwarfs where @Sophia lives, but haven't found any. However, their fairy tales are full of diminutives, so there is still a good chance to improve your statistics.

Sure, you and WWGD may come anytime... I'll be more than happy. I live by the river and I bet you would LOVE it here. I can sing nicely and have beautiful long hair... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusalka

btw we do have dwarfs in our coal mine. They are called Permonici.
 
Last edited:
Sophia said:
Sure, you and WWGD may come anytime... I'll be more than happy. I live by the river and I bet you would LOVE it here. I can sing nicely and have beautiful long hair... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusalka

btw we do have dwarfs in our coal mine. They are called Permonici.
I have a record of Rusalka :biggrin:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Sophia
Anyway, I've learned something again

knife- knives
loaf- loaves

dwarf- dwarves dwarfs
 
Can the Church-Turing-Deutsch principle be proven to be true or will it encounter the Halting problem?!

Is it decidable at all?

Will physicists fall into despair or just keep on calculating?!

Stay tuned for the next episode!
 
Sophia said:
Anyway, I've learned something again
You've probably already learned it, but just in case... one more.

calf- calves

Mooooo ..... :blushing:
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Sophia
OCR said:
You've probably already learned it, but just in case... one more.

calf- calves

Mooooo ..... :blushing:

I can't play the sound :-/

I knew that word, both as a young cow and a part of leg. What was new was that dwarfs don't obey grammar rules. They are magical creatures, rules don't bother them :p

cf08bf48cabdb4302667469f01dec1cc.jpg


OK, this is a gnome, not a dwarf. Whatever :p
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OCR
OCR said:
You've probably already learned it, but just in case... one more.

calf- calves

Mooooo ..... :blushing:
Gandalf - ?
 
fresh_42 said:
Flintstone?
I think it was originally Flinstein, your paysans.
 
WWGD said:
I think it was originally Flinstein, your paysans.
This explains a lot ...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Internet provider charges $10/month for leasing a modem that depreciates to $0 value after just a few months. Great business -- for them, of course.
 
Sophia said:
I can't play the sound :-/
Nothing at all with a left click...?

Try clicking with the center mouse button, or, a right click and then a left click in the menu... "Open Link in New Tab".

This is the actual URL...
http://www.orangefreesounds.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Cow-moo-sound.mp3?_=1

That work...?

You do use a mouse...?

My wife uses a laptop, and I can barely leave home using it.... :headbang:
I use a desktop, and chase a :mouse: to see where to go, and what to do... and I'm still usually lost..
lmao.gif
 
Last edited:
WWGD said:
Internet provider charges $10/month for leasing a modem that depreciates to $0 value after just a few months. Great business -- for them, of course.
How to freak out your neighbors:

Rename your WLAN "FBI Surveillance Van"
 
OCR said:
Nothing at all with a left click...?

Try clicking with the center mouse button, or, a right click and then a left click in the menu... "Open Link in New Tab".
@Sophia : Alternatively: Open your window! :biggrin:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Sophia and OCR
fresh_42 said:
@Sophia : Alternatively: Open your window! :biggrin:
Lol, good one!.... :thumbup:... :ok:

OpenWindow (1).jpg
 
Last edited:
OMG, as I only installed the system recently I see I still lack a codec or something for opening mp3 files. Will have to google it.

Anyway, homemade sausages
IMG_20161204_072935.jpg


It's below 0 and snowing, which is best for freezing outside for a few days before they go into freezer. You can never get proper taste from freezer only, they need fresh air.
 
Again, I can't sing into my gmail from work:oldmad:I receive and enter the verification code but it says "Google couldn't verify it's you, so you can't sign into this account right now." So why do you waste my time by sending a verification code? I want to contact the google team and complain but it just shows me the help center!:headbang::oldgrumpy:
 
Havant Symphony Orchestra concert yesterday was successfully completed (despite discovering at last moment that half of the adjacent car park was inaccessible due to over-running building works, and having to arrange overflow parking in school next door). So after finishing with orchestra stuff (such as updating concert history records and website) this morning, I thought I ought to catch up on other stuff.

The "in-pile" of magazines (mostly read) and mail (mostly opened and acted on if important, but not filed) on the corner of my table was getting a bit high, so I just sorted and filed it. I thought it must be at least a couple of weeks since I last did that - but it turned out it went back to mid-August! The pile included occasional unopened mail (which family members had helpfully added to the pile but something else had been put on top of them before I'd opened it), but fortunately nothing important.

So time seems to be whizzing by - except when I'm trying to do my work hours but I'm stuck waiting for people to get back to me, when it goes at the pace of a geriatric snail.
 
Lisa! said:
Again, I can't sing into my gmail from work:oldmad:I receive and enter the verification code but it says "Google couldn't verify it's you, so you can't sign into this account right now." So why do you waste my time by sending a verification code? I want to contact the google team and complain but it just shows me the help center!:headbang::oldgrumpy:

I recently somehow lost a file in Google drive. No one believes me, they say I did not actually do the work, because they believe Google is infallible.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Lisa!
Lisa! said:
Again, I can't sing into my gmail from work:oldmad:
Lol... maybe you need some backup, it always worked for Johnny... try it again with this.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD