What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 761K views
fresh_42 said:
View attachment 297292

I think they didn't pass the qualifications, i.e. I haven't found them in the results of the best 20.

However, the pilot of Bob Germany 3, currently (half time) second, is called Mariama Jamanka. Close.
I guess it was unusual too for Florida to have an Ice Hockey team. Not like local teens play ice hockey in the streets. Or even Soccer/Football teams for that matter.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The awkwardness of an exchange by text, when you're never clear when the exchange is over.
 
I was chatting to the guy prepping the little Latin restaurant by the gym this morning and when I was heading back home he offered to cook up this really cool plantain & steamed-fish breakfast to take on the walk back (for free no less!). Not a bad way to start the day, eh. :oldtongue:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron and Hamiltonian
One of these days I'll figure out who/what Bixby is in my phone, and why I should update it.
 
Gmail separating emails into ' Social ' 'Promotions ', etc. : Another solution in search of a problem.
 
WWGD said:
One of these days I'll figure out who/what Bixby is in my phone, and why I should update it.
Samsung's "smart" agent. I disabled it and haven't looked back.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Ibix said:
Samsung's "smart" agent. I disabled it and haven't looked back.
Thanks. I just uninstalled like 5 game-related apps totaling around 10gb. Will disable/uninstall Bixby Asap.
 
WWGD said:
Thanks. I just uninstalled like 5 game-related apps totaling around 10gb. Will disable/uninstall Bixby Asap.
Maybe it works if you tell him to commit suicide. At least, it should.
 
fresh_42 said:
Maybe it works if you tell him to commit suicide. At least, it should.
Death on Two Legs...
 
I think it's another example of forced helpfulness/ a solution in search of a problem.
 
fresh_42 said:
I thought we were talking about electrons?!
Death on two orbitals?
 
WWGD said:
Death on two orbitals?
Well, electrons come with the ♻️ sign on them.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
fresh_42 said:
Well, electrons come with the ♻️ sign on them.
Tell that to Bixby.
 
Someone named their network 'Nietschze'.
Network is not open. What should I guess for the password: Zarathustra? Superman? Willto power?
I only know the buzzwords. If I see it again I will try them.
I won't try to guess the password for the ' It Only hurts when IP' network.
 
Last edited:
WWGD said:
Someone named their network 'Nietschze'.
Network is not open. What should I guess for the password: Zarathustra? Superman? Willto power?
I only know the buzzwords. If I see it again I will try them.
I won't try to guess the password for the ' It Only hurts when IP' network.
Send them the National Spelling Agency.
 
fresh_42 said:
Send them the National Spelling Agency.
Nietzsche. No wonder they don't have Spelling Bees in Deutsche ( That I know of).
 
WWGD said:
No wonder they don't have Spelling Bees in Deutsche ( That I know of).
It doesn't make much sense in a language in which you mainly write as you pronounce.
 
fresh_42 said:
It doesn't make much sense in a language in which you mainly write as you pronounce.
Does that apply to 'Nietzsche'? Or did you just will yourself to power*?

*Training for Jeopardy.
 
WWGD said:
Does that apply to 'Nietzsche'? Or did you just will yourself to power?
It applies if you speak correctly.
 
fresh_42 said:
It applies if you speak correctly.
Correctly in what province? Is it just a difference in accents between them or is the pronunciation different too? EDIT: It's hard when both are different.
 
We have exams at school where the teacher is reading a text and the students have to write it down. Since they get marks, I think it can be compared to a spelling competition.
 
fresh_42 said:
We have exams at school where the teacher is reading a text and the students have to write it down. Since they get marks, I think it can be compared to a spelling competition.
But is pronunciation, accent (Edit : Significantly-) different between regions?
 
WWGD said:
But is pronunciation, accent different between regions
The spoken language is a different one, i.e. what people actually use depends on region. This can be quite different every few miles. But there is only one version that is correct, written, spoken, and taught at school. In the case of Nietzsche, I think it is safe to claim that most people will pronounce it without the 'z'. Theoretically, however, you should hear it.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark and WWGD
fresh_42 said:
The spoken language is a different one, i.e. what people actually use depends on region. This can be quite different every few miles. But there is only one version that is correct, written, spoken, and taught at school. In the case of Nietzsche, I think it is safe to claim that most people will pronounce it without the 'z'. Theoretically, however, you should hear it.
Thanks; will hear it theoretically then ;).
 
Wonder why XPath searches were not built into SMS and other backup systems ( those that use .xml formats, of course).
 
Is there a substitute for Ctrl+A for gmail, to select all emails in a search result?
 
Why not simply click?

1645405128083.png
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Does anybody know why Landau never uses the letter ##j## as a suffix? It's always only ##i,k,l,m...## for the Latin alphabet. Looks to similar to ##i##, perhaps?