1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the notation for angular distance travelled?

1. Feb 12, 2015 #1
    What is the notation for the angular distance travelled by an object moving in circular motion?

s is for regular distance (m,ft,inches, etc.).

What I want is some x to be the distance in either degrees or radians.

How should I call that x?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2015 #2
    I would just use ##\theta(t)## and defined it as the total amount of radians that the object has traveled. In your case of circular motion, I would have it be that angle away from its original starting point, ##\theta_0## if ##\theta(t) \in [-2\pi+\theta_0\leq\theta(t)\leq 2\pi-\theta_0 ]##. Only include the ##\theta_0## if you are measuring the angle from the origin. If you aren't, and you're measuring the angle from ##\theta_0##,it's just ##[-2\pi\leq\theta(t)\leq2\pi]##

BUT
    If ##\theta(t)\notin [-2\pi+\theta_0\leq\theta(t)\leq 2\pi-\theta_0]##which means your not restricting it to one full revolution, than I would say it is the ##\textbf{TOTAL}## angle traveled by the object in time t. The comment about ##\theta_0## being included or not from above applies here as well. (The part about measuring from the origin or ##\theta_0##)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  4. Feb 12, 2015 #3
    Does that answer your question adequately?

5. Feb 12, 2015 #4
    It'll suffice. We'll see if anyone has seen different notation though.

6. Feb 12, 2015 #5
    You can really use any notation you want, as long as you define what you're doing. For example I could use any of the following ( or anything else, really) for what we are describing, as long as It's stated somewhere.
    ##
    \phi(t)\\
    \pi(t)\\
    \epsilon(t)\\
    \zeta(t)\\
    A(t)\\
    Q(t)\\
    \eta(t)\\
    \text{etc.,}
    ##

But I don't think that's what you mean. Typically for angles you usually see either ##\phi\\ \text{or}\\ \theta##, which are known as phi and theta, as you may know.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  7. Feb 13, 2015 #6
    This may help:

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook