What is the notation for angular distance travelled?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
AlbertE97
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
What is the notation for the angular distance traveled by an object moving in circular motion?

s is for regular distance (m,ft,inches, etc.).

What I want is some x to be the distance in either degrees or radians.

How should I call that x?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I would just use ##\theta(t)## and defined it as the total amount of radians that the object has traveled. In your case of circular motion, I would have it be that angle away from its original starting point, ##\theta_0## if ##\theta(t) \in [-2\pi+\theta_0\leq\theta(t)\leq 2\pi-\theta_0 ]##. Only include the ##\theta_0## if you are measuring the angle from the origin. If you aren't, and you're measuring the angle from ##\theta_0##,it's just ##[-2\pi\leq\theta(t)\leq2\pi]##

BUT
If ##\theta(t)\notin [-2\pi+\theta_0\leq\theta(t)\leq 2\pi-\theta_0]##which means your not restricting it to one full revolution, than I would say it is the ##\textbf{TOTAL}## angle traveled by the object in time t. The comment about ##\theta_0## being included or not from above applies here as well. (The part about measuring from the origin or ##\theta_0##)
 
Last edited:
It'll suffice. We'll see if anyone has seen different notation though.
 
You can really use any notation you want, as long as you define what you're doing. For example I could use any of the following ( or anything else, really) for what we are describing, as long as It's stated somewhere.
##
\phi(t)\\
\pi(t)\\
\epsilon(t)\\
\zeta(t)\\
A(t)\\
Q(t)\\
\eta(t)\\
\text{etc.,}
##

But I don't think that's what you mean. Typically for angles you usually see either ##\phi\\ \text{or}\\ \theta##, which are known as phi and theta, as you may know.
 
Last edited:
This may help:
 
Attachments
  • rlin.gif
    rlin.gif
    13.1 KB · Views: 934
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: AlbertE97