What is the Optimal Diameter for a 12.0 Ω Nichrome Wire at 20°C?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
phy112
Messages
37
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



If 46 m of nichrome wire is to have a resistance of 12.0 Ω at 20°C, what diameter wire should be used?

Homework Equations



R=[tex]\rho[/tex](L/A)

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried and I got 2.1. The [tex]\rho[/tex] of nichrome is 108e-8
 
Physics news on Phys.org
First solve for the variable you are looking for and put it on one side. Keep your knowns on the other side. Remember that A stands for area, and area is related to wire diameter.

I am online for a bit, so give it a go. DON'T FORGET YOU UNITS!
 
ok yeah i got 2.3 mm. after i figured out A. I figured out diameter doing A=1/4pi(dsquared)