What is the parametric form for the tangent line to y = 2x^(2)+2x-1 at x = -1?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 6K views
Loppyfoot
Messages
192
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The parametric form for the tangent line to the graph of y = 2x^(2)+2x-1 at x = -1 is

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I am confused about where to begin this problem. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Loppyfoot said:

Homework Statement



The parametric form for the tangent line to the graph of y = 2x^(2)+2x-1 at x = -1 is

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I am confused about where to begin this problem. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
The first step would be to find the slope of the tangent line at the point (-1, f(-1)). Once you have the slope of the tangent line, and a point on the tangent line - (-1, f(-1)), you can find the equation of the tangent line.

The final step would be to write the equation of the tangent line in parametric form.
 
So the slope of the tangent line would be:

y'=4x+2...plug in x=-1.

slope of tangent line at x=-1 is y'=-2.

A point on the line would be (-1,-1).

How would I translate this data into parametric form
 
so the equation of the tangent line is y=-2x-3.


How would I translate the y=mx+b into the parametric form?