What is the path of a particle in a vector field?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Horv
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hi all!

I want to ask about vector fields.
So if I had any kind of field for example [itex]\bar{F}(x,y) = (0,x)[/itex] which represents a river or somthing similar and I put into the river a particle, or point-like body how can I get the path, or curve (flwo line?) from the vector field? I mean that path which the particle or the body moves.

Thanks for the answers.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What vector field does that represent? The force vector (which would give acceleration) or the velocity vector? If the velocity vector, then it represents the two equations dx/dt= 0 and dy/dt= x. That is a system of differential equations and there are several ways of solving that system.

The simplest way would be to first differentiate both sides of dy/dt= x with respect to t: [itex]d^2y/dt^2= dx/dt= 0[/itex] so that y(t)= At+ B for any constants A and B. And then x(t)= dy/dt= A.