What is the percent composition of CdSO4 in a 1.0 molal aqueous solution?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the percent CdSO4 by mass in a 1.0 molal aqueous solution. The correct answer is either 17.5% w/w or 20.8% w/v, depending on whether the solution density is known. The differing results could be due to a difference in perspective, as the instructions did not specify whether to use %w/w or %w/v.
bxadook
What is the percent CdSO4 by mass in a 1.0 molal aqueous solution?

My attempt:

CdSO4 is 208.47g/mol
1.0 molal = 1 mol CdSO4/1kgH2O
Converted mols to grams, and kg to g.
208.47g Cd/1000g H2O = .20847
.20847 x 100 to get % mass = 20.8%

It is an old test question that I am going over for finals week. I keep coming up with a different answer than what was on my test. I keep getting the value of 20.8%, which the answer listed on my test is 17.2%. Did my teacher make a failure in grading or did I just do something differently the first time around? I can't find my original work.

Physics news on Phys.org
You want the result as how? Percent weight per volume, or percent weight per weight? The rate might have been assumed to be straight weight or mass only:

208 grams Cadmium Sulfate in 208+1000 grams SOLUTION. This perspective will affect the percentage very much.

thank you i am retard

bxadook said:
thank you i am retard

No, not really; you just forgot which perspective to use. Your teacher did not specify, so you should probably pick percent weight. Really, the instructions in the practice test should specify either %w/w, or %w/v.

I think it is neither. It makes sense when you are calculating total % composition of Cadmium Sulphate that you would divide 208.47 by 1208.47 instead of just 1000. Because 1000g would just be the mass of the solvent not the soln.

17.5% w/w or 20.8% w/v, note that the second number can't be calculated without knowing solution density.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 661

Related to What is the percent composition of CdSO4 in a 1.0 molal aqueous solution?

1. What does "% element by mass in soln." mean?

"% element by mass in soln." refers to the amount or proportion of a specific element present in a given solution, expressed as a percentage of the total mass of the solution.

2. How is the "% element by mass in soln." calculated?

The "% element by mass in soln." is calculated by dividing the mass of the specific element in the solution by the total mass of the solution, and then multiplying by 100 to get the percentage.

3. Why is knowing the "% element by mass in soln." important?

Knowing the "% element by mass in soln." is important because it allows scientists to accurately measure and track the concentration of a specific element in a solution. This information is crucial in various fields of research, such as chemistry, environmental science, and biology.

4. How is the "% element by mass in soln." different from "% by volume"?

The "% element by mass in soln." and "% by volume" are different measurements of concentration. "% element by mass in soln." is calculated based on the mass of the solution, while "% by volume" is calculated based on the volume of the solution. This means that the two measurements may not always be equivalent, especially if the density of the solution changes.

5. Can the "% element by mass in soln." change over time?

Yes, the "% element by mass in soln." can change over time. This can happen due to various factors such as chemical reactions, evaporation, and precipitation. It is important to regularly monitor and adjust the concentration of a solution to maintain the desired "% element by mass in soln." level.