What is the physical interpretation of eigenstates in quantum mechanics?

In summary: If you get the result 0, you can't get the same result again. However, if you measure the spin of electrons, you can get the same result repeatedly.
Gianmarco
Hey everyone, I've been doing some quantum mechanics but I think I have yet to fully grasp the meaning of eigenstate. What I mean is, I understand that an eigenstate ##x## is such that, if we have an operator ##\hat{A}##, it satisfies ##\hat{A} x=\lambda x## and so ##\hat{A}## represents a "dilation" of the eigenstate in the mathematical sense. Is there a way to have a physical interpretation of this though? I'm thinking about the operators ##\hat{x}, \hat{p}## and ##\hat{H}##.
I've also read that when we measure an observable on a state, the process "transforms" the state into an eigenstate and if we measure it again we will obtain the same answer. What does it mean in practice?
Thanks to anyone who will bother reading this :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You may get a better answer, but this information is available in any introductory QM text and freely available online in many reliable sources.

Someone on here may take the time to explain it all, but it will only be information that is already available to you.

Better to ask specific questions here that may help clarify the material you are learning from.

PeroK said:
You may get a better answer, but this information is available in any introductory QM text and freely available online in many reliable sources.

Someone on here may take the time to explain it all, but it will only be information that is already available to you.

Better to ask specific questions here that may help clarify the material you are learning from.
Hi PeroK, I understand what you are saying but the books that I'm using for this class are very formal about the whole thing. I understand the mathematics but what I'm looking for is a physical interpretation of it.

Gianmarco said:
Hi PeroK, I understand what you are saying but the books that I'm using for this class are very formal about the whole thing. I understand the mathematics but what I'm looking for is a physical interpretation of it.

Can you make any sense of this?

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/Scheq.html#c5

Gianmarco said:
Hey everyone, I've been doing some quantum mechanics but I think I have yet to fully grasp the meaning of eigenstate. What I mean is, I understand that an eigenstate ##x## is such that, if we have an operator ##\hat{A}##, it satisfies ##\hat{A} x=\lambda x## and so ##\hat{A}## represents a "dilation" of the eigenstate in the mathematical sense. Is there a way to have a physical interpretation of this though? I'm thinking about the operators ##\hat{x}, \hat{p}## and ##\hat{H}##.
I've also read that when we measure an observable on a state, the process "transforms" the state into an eigenstate and if we measure it again we will obtain the same answer. What does it mean in practice?
Thanks to anyone who will bother reading this :)

If the eigenvalue ##\lambda## is 1, the operation doesn't change the norm. If the operator doesn't represent a physical measurable quantity, the eigenvalue can even be a complex number. Quantum mechanics contains a lot of complications that are related to the infinite-dimensionality of the state spaces. Think about a three-state system that has a Hamiltonian operator ##H## and eigenstates ##|1>##, ##|2>## and ##|3>##, which correspond to eigenvalues E=1,E=2 and E=3. Now if you have an arbitrary state ##|\psi >=a|1> + b|2> + c|3>## and you operate on it ##N## times with the Hamiltonian (##N## is some very large number), the resultant state vector ##a|1> + 2^{N}b|2> + 3^{N}c|3>## is approximately a multiple of ##|3>## (if the number ##N## was large enough). In the case where there are infinitely many eigenstates of ##H##, you can't just do that when you want to find the eigenstate with largest eigenvalue.

Gianmarco said:
I understand that an eigenstate ##x## is such that, if we have an operator ##\hat{A}##, it satisfies ##\hat{A} x=\lambda x## and so ##\hat{A}## represents a "dilation" of the eigenstate in the mathematical sense. Is there a way to have a physical interpretation of this though? I'm thinking about the operators ##\hat{x}, \hat{p}## and ##\hat{H}##.

I don't think there is any physical meaning to the dilation. The eigenvalues are just labels of the measurement outcomes. Note that I can shift the zero eigenvalue to any eigenstate I want, but the zero vector doesn't correspond to a state vector.

Gianmarco said:

You should think of this condition as a characterization of repeatable measurements rather than of a general measurement. A standard counterexample is a photon counting which absorbs and destroys the photon(s).

1. What are eigenstates?

Eigenstates, also known as eigenvectors, are special states in quantum mechanics that represent the possible states of a system. They are associated with eigenvalues, which are the allowed values of physical quantities such as energy, momentum, or spin.

2. How are eigenstates determined?

Eigenstates are determined by solving the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. This equation describes the evolution of a quantum system over time and allows us to calculate the eigenvalues and eigenstates of the system.

3. What is the significance of eigenstates?

Eigenstates are significant because they represent the most stable and well-defined states of a quantum system. They also play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of quantum particles and predicting their behavior in experiments.

4. Can a system have multiple eigenstates?

Yes, a system can have multiple eigenstates. In fact, most systems have an infinite number of eigenstates, each with its own unique eigenvalue. These eigenstates can be combined to form a complete set of states that describe the system.

5. How are eigenstates related to measurements in quantum mechanics?

Eigenstates are directly related to measurements in quantum mechanics. When a measurement is made on a quantum system, the system collapses into one of its eigenstates, with the corresponding eigenvalue being the result of the measurement. This is known as the eigenstate-eigenvalue link and is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.