What is the Pohozaev identity for a semi-linear PDE?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Euge
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the Pohozaev identity is a mathematical formula discovered by Russian mathematician Ivan Pohozaev in the 1960s. It is used in the study of semi-linear partial differential equations (PDEs) to relate critical points to the energy of solutions. The identity has been extended to higher dimensions and has applications in fields such as mathematical physics, fluid dynamics, and geometry. It has also been used in the study of non-linear equations in other areas of mathematics.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here's this week's problem!

Let $u$ be an $H^1(\Bbb R^d)$-solution of the semi-linear PDE

$$-\Delta u + au = b|u|^{\alpha}u\quad (a > 0,\, \alpha > 0,\, b\in \Bbb R)$$

Derive the Pohozaev identity

$$(d - 2)\int_{\Bbb R^d} \lvert \nabla_xu\rvert^2\, dx + da\int_{\Bbb R^d} \lvert u\rvert^2\, dx = \frac{2bd}{\alpha + 2}\int_{\Bbb R^d} \lvert u\rvert^{\alpha + 2}$$
___________________Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
No one answered this week's problem. You can find my solution below.
Multiplying both sides of the PDE by $x\cdot \nabla u$ and integrating over $\Bbb R^d$ yields

$$\int_{\Bbb R^d} -\Delta u(x\cdot \nabla u)\, dx + a\int_{\Bbb R^d} \lvert u\rvert^2(x\cdot \nabla u)\, dx = b\int_{\Bbb R^d} \lvert u\rvert^\alpha u(x\cdot \nabla u)\, dx.$$

Now

$$\int_{\Bbb R^d} -\Delta u (x\cdot \nabla u)\, dx = -\int_{\Bbb R^d} u_{x_ix_j}x_ju_{x_j}\, dx $$
$$= \int_{\Bbb R^d} u_{x_i}(x_ju_{x_j})_{x_i}\, dx = \int_{\Bbb R^d} (u_{x_i}\delta_{ij}u_{x_i} + u_{x_i}x_ju_{x_jx_i})\, dx$$
$$=\int_{\Bbb R^d} \left(\lvert \nabla u\rvert^2 + \left(\frac{\lvert \nabla u\rvert^2}{2}\right)_{x_j}x_j\right)\, dx$$
$$= \left(1 - \frac{d}{2}\right)\int_{\Bbb R^d} \lvert \nabla u\rvert^2\, dx,$$

$$a\int_{\Bbb R^d}\lvert u\rvert^2(x\cdot \nabla u)\, dx = a\int_{\Bbb R^d} ux_ju_{x_j}\, dx = \frac{a}{2}\int_{\Bbb R^d} (\lvert u\rvert^2)_{x_j}x_j\, dx = \frac{-da}{2}\int_{\Bbb R^d} \lvert u\rvert^2\, dx,$$

$$b\int_{\Bbb R^d}\lvert u\rvert^\alpha u(x\cdot \nabla u)\, dx = b\int_{\Bbb R^d} \lvert u\rvert^\alpha ux_ju_{x_j}\, dx = b\int_{\Bbb R^d} \left(\frac{\lvert u\rvert^{\alpha+2}}{\alpha+2}\right)_{x_j}x_j\, dx = -\frac{db}{\alpha+2}\int_{\Bbb R^d}\lvert u\rvert^{\alpha+2}\, dx$$

Thus

$$\left(1 - \frac{d}{2}\right)\int_{\Bbb R^d} \lvert \nabla u\rvert^2\, dx - \frac{d}{2}\int_{\Bbb R^d} \lvert u\rvert^2\, dx = -\frac{db}{\alpha + 2}\int_{\Bbb R^d} \lvert u\rvert^{\alpha+2}\, dx$$

The result follows by multiplying both sides of this equation by $-2$.

1. What is the Pohozaev identity for a semi-linear PDE?

The Pohozaev identity is a mathematical formula used in the study of semi-linear partial differential equations (PDEs). It relates the critical points of a given PDE to the energy of its solutions, and can be used to prove the existence of unique solutions to certain types of PDEs.

2. Who discovered the Pohozaev identity?

The Pohozaev identity was first discovered by Russian mathematician Ivan Pohozaev in the 1960s. He developed the identity while studying the existence and regularity of solutions to certain types of non-linear PDEs.

3. How is the Pohozaev identity used in PDE analysis?

In PDE analysis, the Pohozaev identity is used as a tool to study the behavior and properties of solutions to semi-linear PDEs. It allows mathematicians to determine the critical points of a given PDE and use this information to prove the existence of unique solutions.

4. Can the Pohozaev identity be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Pohozaev identity can be extended to higher dimensions. While it was originally developed for two-dimensional PDEs, it has since been extended to higher dimensions by various mathematicians. This extension has been an important tool in the study of non-linear PDEs in higher dimensions.

5. Are there any applications of the Pohozaev identity outside of PDE analysis?

Yes, the Pohozaev identity has found applications in various fields outside of PDE analysis. These include mathematical physics, fluid dynamics, and geometry. It has also been used in the study of non-linear equations in other areas of mathematics, such as algebraic geometry and mathematical biology.