What is the Riemannian distance between two points in the open unit disk?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Euge
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the Riemannian distance is a measure of distance between two points in a Riemannian manifold, taking into account the curvature of the space. It is calculated using the metric tensor and is defined by a set of equations specific to the manifold being studied. The open unit disk is a commonly used example for illustrating Riemannian distance. It differs from other distance measures by considering the curvature of the space and has applications in mathematics, physics, computer vision, machine learning, econometrics, and finance.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Happy Holidays, everyone! Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Consider the open unit disk $\Bbb D\subset \Bbb C$ with Riemannian metric $ds^2 = \dfrac{\lvert dz\rvert^2}{(1 - \lvert z\rvert^2)^2}$. Find a formula for the (Riemannian) distance between two points in $\Bbb D$, and use it to find the distance between $-\frac{1}{2}e^{i\pi/4}$ and $\frac{1}{2}e^{i\pi/4}$.

-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
Due to the holiday break I’m giving an extra week to solve this problem. Happy New Year, everyone!

I like Serena gets honorable mention for his correct calculation for the Riemannian distance from $-\frac{1}{2}e^{i\pi/4}$ to $\frac{1}{2}e^{i\pi/4}$. You can read my solution below.
Given $z,w\in \Bbb D$, the Riemannian distance between $z$ and $w$ is given by

$$d(z,w) = \frac{1}{2}\log\frac{1 + \left\lvert\dfrac{z - w}{1 - \bar{z}w}\right\rvert}{1 - \left\lvert\dfrac{z - w}{1 - \bar{z}w}\right\rvert}$$ If $\gamma$ is a smooth curve in $\Bbb D$, set $\displaystyle\rho(\gamma) := \int_\gamma \frac{\lvert dz\rvert}{1 -\lvert z\rvert^2}$. For every isometry $\phi\in \operatorname{Isom}(\Bbb D)$, $\rho(\phi\circ \gamma) = \rho(\gamma)$. For by the Schwarz lemma, $\dfrac{\lvert \phi'(z)\rvert}{1 - \lvert z\rvert^2} \le \dfrac{1}{1 - \lvert z\rvert^2}$ for all $z\in \Bbb D$; hence

$$\rho(\phi\circ \gamma) = \int_\gamma \frac{\lvert \phi'(w)\rvert}{1 - \lvert \phi(w)\rvert^2}\lvert dw\rvert \le \int_\gamma \frac{\lvert dw\rvert}{1 - \lvert w\rvert^2} = \rho(\gamma)$$

and similarly $\rho(\gamma) = \rho(\phi^{-1}\circ \phi \circ \gamma) \le \rho(\phi\circ \gamma)$. Consequently, $d$ is invariant under the action of Möbius transformations on $\Bbb D$. Using the Möbius transformation $\phi : \Bbb D\to \Bbb D$ given by $\phi(c) := e^{i\theta}\dfrac{z - c}{1 - \bar{z}c}$ (where $\theta$ is chosen so that $\phi(w) \ge 0$), we have $d(z,w) = d(0, \phi(w))$. A geodesic joining two points on the real axis is a segment on the axis between the points, so $$d(z,w) = \int_0^{\phi(w)} \frac{dx}{1 - x^2} = \frac{1}{2}\log\frac{1 + \phi(w)}{1 - \phi(w)} = \frac{1}{2}\log \frac{1 + \left\lvert \dfrac{z - w}{1 - \bar{z}w}\right\rvert}{1 - \left\lvert \dfrac{z - w}{1 - \bar{z}w}\right\rvert}$$

Using this formula, we compute

$$d\left(-\frac{1}{2}e^{i\pi/4}, \frac{1}{2}e^{i\pi/4}\right) = \frac{1}{2}\log\frac{1 + \frac{4}{5}}{1 - \frac{4}{5}} = \frac{1}{2}\log 9 = \log 3$$

1. What is the Riemannian distance?

The Riemannian distance is a measure of distance between two points in a Riemannian manifold, which is a mathematical space that has a metric tensor defined on it. It is a generalization of the Euclidean distance in flat space and takes into account the curvature of the space.

2. How is the Riemannian distance calculated?

The Riemannian distance is calculated using the metric tensor, which is a mathematical object that assigns a distance between two infinitesimally close points in a Riemannian manifold. It takes into account the curvature of the space and is defined by a set of equations that depend on the specific manifold being studied.

3. What is the significance of the open unit disk in Riemannian distance?

The open unit disk is a specific Riemannian manifold that is commonly used to study the properties of Riemannian distance. It is a two-dimensional space with a curvature that changes depending on the distance from the center. It is often used as an example to illustrate the concept of Riemannian distance and its calculation.

4. How does Riemannian distance differ from other distance measures?

Riemannian distance differs from other distance measures, such as Euclidean distance, in that it takes into account the curvature of the space. This means that the distance between two points can vary depending on the path taken between them, as opposed to a straight line distance in flat space. Riemannian distance is also commonly used in the study of non-Euclidean geometries and general relativity.

5. What are some real-world applications of Riemannian distance?

Riemannian distance has many applications in mathematics and physics, including the study of curved spaces and general relativity. It is also used in computer vision and machine learning for shape analysis and pattern recognition. In addition, Riemannian distance has been applied in econometrics and finance for portfolio optimization and risk management.