1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I What is the Poynting "vector" mathematically?

1. Apr 9, 2016 #1
    Hi.

The Poynting vector is a 3-tuple of real or complex numbers (depending on the respective formulation of electrodynamics) times a unit. It may be pictured as an arrow with some length and direction in IR^3 or IC^3. But is it a "vector" in the strict mathematical sense, i.e. an element of a vector space? If yes, what exactly is that vector space? As far as I know, Poynting vectors of two sources can only be added if the sources are completely decoherent, i.e. if there's no (time-averaged?) interference.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2016 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

The Poynting "vector" is the momentum or energy-flow density of the electromagnetic field. It's a vector in the sense of Euclidean rotations in a fixed inertial reference frame. Relativitistically it's the space-time component of the symmetric (Belinfante) energy-momentum tensor, which are defined by the Noether currents of space-time translation invariance, which is a subgroup of the Poincare group, i.e., the homogeneity of Minkowski space. As the name says, the energy-momentum tensor defines energy and momentum, which are conserved for any closed system.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted