I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with mathman. It is slightly less than 1/4. The answer is not exactly 1/4 because, in the Gregorian Calendar (as opposed to the Julian Calendar) every year which is divisible by 100 but not divisible by 400 is not a leap year. The year 1900, even though it is divisible by 4 was not a leap year, but the year 2000, which was divisible by 400 is not. If a leap year came every 4 years, then in 400 years, there would be 100 leap years. If any year divisible by 100 were not a leap year, that would reduce it to 100- 4= 96. Because the 400th year is divisible by 400, we put that back in: there are 97 leap years in 400 years. I think those are the only conditions. If so, the probability that an arbitrarily chosen year is a leap year is 97/400= 0.2425.