What is the purpose for frequency?

• Thread starter johnbrown11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequency
In summary, AC is used because it has less transmission losses than DC, it can be transformed to a higher voltage, and it is used in aircraft because it is easier to build smaller components at a lower weight.
johnbrown11
So I have taken AC circuit analysis and electronics and stuff, but I was wondering what purpose frequency. Why its used with voltage and current.

Engineering news on Phys.org
That's a pretty broad question. Tell us what you know.

johnbrown11 said:
So I have taken AC circuit analysis and electronics and stuff, but I was wondering what purpose frequency. Why its used with voltage and current.

Do you mean why do we commonly use alternating current instead of direct current?

capacitance and inductance are functions of frequency

DaveC426913 said:
Do you mean why do we commonly use alternating current instead of direct current?

That and for example why we use 120V @ 60hz. Why the 60hz? Why not say..80hz? I am just a little confused on what the purpose it is for in AC or its function in electrical systems.

johnbrown11 said:
Edison and Tesla had big arguments about the advantages of AC vs. DC. See

http://muller.lbl.gov/teaching/Physics10/old%20physics%2010/physics%2010%20notes/Electrocution.html

Part of the advantage of AC was that transformers could be used (The transformer was invented in 1860 by Antonio Pacinotti). Edison thought DC was less dangerous (electrocution).

Bob S

Last edited by a moderator:
When you use transmission lines to take power from the coal fired power stations (which have to be built near large bodies of cooling water, and preferably near coal deposits) a transformer (two inductors) can step up the voltage (from the 11kV generators to say 22kV or 500kV or whatever) which steps down the current. The current causes the most problems in heat and loss of efficiency, so the bigger the voltage, the smaller the current, the less losses.

Transformers only work based on an alternating waveform (AC) and not at all on a direct waveform (DC).

Transformers are specially oriented inductors with a large lump of metal between them, which is much easier to design and build than the complicated semiconductor based electronics required to efficiently step up or step down DC waveforms.

Not all countries use 120V @ 60Hz. Australia uses 240V @ 50Hz for example. I would hazard a guess at the reasons being financial rather than scientific ('its how its always been done and its too hard to change now' + legacy equipment).

@ post #4: Capacitance and inductance are functions of geometry, capacitive and inductive reactance are functions of frequency.

Higher frequency than 50 / 60 Hz involves more transmission losses but, in Aircraft, I believe, they use (or used to) 400Hz because smaller components can be used (weight factor) but the distances involved are small.
DC transmission losses are lower but you have no easy way of voltage transformation. That may well change as technology advances, however - it's already done where there is no alternative.

1. What is frequency?

Frequency is a measure of how often something occurs or repeats within a given time period. It is commonly used in physics and other sciences to describe the rate of oscillation, vibration, or other periodic phenomena.

2. Why is frequency important?

Frequency is important because it helps us understand the behavior of waves and other periodic phenomena. It is also used to describe the properties of various forms of energy, such as light and sound.

3. How is frequency measured?

Frequency is typically measured in hertz (Hz), which is equal to one cycle per second. This can be measured using specialized equipment, such as an oscilloscope, or by counting the number of occurrences within a given time period.

4. What factors affect frequency?

The frequency of a wave or other periodic phenomenon can be affected by a variety of factors, including the properties of the medium through which it is traveling, the amplitude of the wave, and the energy source causing the wave.

5. What is the relationship between frequency and wavelength?

Frequency and wavelength are inversely related. This means that as frequency increases, wavelength decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the formula f = c/λ, where f is frequency, c is the speed of light, and λ is wavelength.