What is the Purpose of Modal Analysis in Mechanical Systems?

In summary, the goal of a modal analysis is to understand the dynamic behavior of a system in the frequency domain.
Trying2Learn
TL;DR Summary
Modal analysis
modal analysis.PNG

Consider this system, above.

If I studied the mechanics of this system, I get this system of equations.

system.PNG

At that point, I choose to study a free vibration problem and drop the damping, and conduct a modal analysis.

I understand the process:vvI assume a solution such that each mass moves with the same frequency, expressed as a complex exponential.
Then, I assume a singular matrix to avoid the null solution, work out the determinant, get the characteristic equation and find the modes.

OK, so, with that in mind, what IS a modal analysis?

What I am hoping to learn, is a self-contained explanation that links the assumptions of the solution approach, to what a modal analysis is
in a simple way, without a discussion of resonance or eigenvalues, etc.

I look up on quora or wiki and other sites and get this:

Modal analysis is the study of the dynamic properties of systems in the frequency domain.

So, yes, I get that. I see that. But I feel (and I am sorry) I am still bereft of explanation of what a modal analysis is, that is stripped of any mathematical analysis.

Yes, I understand the explanation of pushing a child on a swing, at a certain frequency, or the Mexico city earthquake. I understand the resonance. But I am hoping for an explanation that links the steps of the analysis to the desire of what we are trying to obtain?

Or is it as simple as this (in my words)?
"We assume all mass elements in the system are activated by the same natural frequency and we study the tendency of the behavior (the modes) under that common frequency"

Is it that simple?

Note that for an eigenvalue analysis, we assume we can separate the mode shapes (SPACE) from the frequency response (TIME). So, could another explanation of modal analysis be:

"The assumption that one can readily separate the spatial displacements of all constituent mass elements, from a common frequency response."

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
From an engineering perspective I would think the goal is an answer to "how bad can it be?". The modal analysis is straight forward mathematically, it's the particulars that need to be supplied. Clearly in the example shown, the dissipation terms etc determine the Q of the resulting resonances. From there it's what you're most concerned about, amplitude verses driving force, will people on the train throw up, etc. One needs to come up with reasonable estimates for dampening, mass, spring constants and what are the bounds to the driving force. This has to be weighed against what it takes to make a passenger throw up. Sounds like engineering.

What is a modal analysis?

A modal analysis is a technique used in engineering and science to study the dynamic behavior of a structure or system. It involves identifying the natural frequencies, damping ratios, and mode shapes of the system.

Why is modal analysis important?

Modal analysis is important because it helps engineers and scientists understand the behavior of a system under different conditions. It can be used to identify potential problems, optimize designs, and improve the performance of a structure or system.

What types of systems can be analyzed using modal analysis?

Modal analysis can be applied to a wide range of systems, including mechanical, civil, aerospace, and electrical systems. It is commonly used in the design and analysis of buildings, bridges, vehicles, and machines.

What are the steps involved in performing a modal analysis?

The first step in a modal analysis is to measure or simulate the response of the system to an excitation. Next, the measured or simulated data is processed to obtain the system's frequency response function. Then, the natural frequencies and mode shapes are extracted from the frequency response function using mathematical techniques. Finally, the results are analyzed and interpreted to gain insights into the system's behavior.

What are some applications of modal analysis?

Modal analysis has numerous applications in various fields. It is commonly used in structural engineering to study the behavior of buildings and bridges under different loads. It is also used in the automotive industry to improve the performance and safety of vehicles. In addition, modal analysis is used in the aerospace industry to design and test aircraft and spacecraft structures. It also has applications in other fields such as acoustics, vibration control, and earthquake engineering.