What is the QFT picture of forces?

In summary: This is because of the uncertainty principle. In summary, According to QFT, two masses attract by interacting in the same way as they always do. Additionally, at low energies, QFT should give a classical picture and quantizations of fields represent particles. However, there is no generally accepted QFT for gravity, making the mechanism of attraction between masses an open question. In the case of the Coulomb force, it acts through virtual photons that exchange energy between the field and matter. Momentum is conserved through the interaction term of the QED Hamiltonian. In the Coulomb gauge, the interaction is instantaneous, but the uncertainty principle means that the interaction occurs between de Broglie waves instead of point-like charges.
Gerenuk
According to QFT, how do two masses attract?
Is the action instantaneous? How is momentum/energy conserved? Is the action non-local?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gerenuk said:
Is the action instantaneous? How is momentum/energy conserved? Is the action non-local?

See Zee, A.: Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell. Princeton University Press, Princeton (2003), Chap I.4, From Field to Particle to Force, pp 24-27.

they interact as they always do. first, quantum field theory should in the limit of low energies always give the classical picture, and second, qft just means that you compute fields and quantizations of these fields are the known particles

Gerenuk said:

Since you said "masses", are you asking specifically about gravity? There is no generally accepted QFT for gravity yet, as far as I know, so this is still an open question.

jtbell said:
Since you said "masses", are you asking specifically about gravity? There is no generally accepted QFT for gravity yet, as far as I know, so this is still an open question.
Yes, I did ask about gravity. But it would also be interesting to know how the Coulomb force acts through photons. At some point I will dive into QFT, but for know I was hoping to get a rough answer about what happens when two charges interaction. I mean where/when are there photons? How is momentum conserved?

Gerenuk said:
... now I was hoping to get a rough answer about what happens when two charges interaction. I mean where/when are there photons? How is momentum conserved?
Look at the Hamiltonian of QED. It has three terms, one for the electron, one for the EM field, and an interaction term that is like [itex]\mathbf{A} \cdot \mathbf{J}[/itex]. The virtual photons that exchange energy between the field and the matter live in the interaction term.

I don't know if this helps with the forces...

jtbell said:

See Zee, A.: Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell. Princeton University Press, Princeton (2003), Chap I.5, Coulomb & Newtown: Repulsion and Attraction, pp 30-34. Quote from bottom of p 33, "We are now ready to understand one of the fundamental mysteries of the universe: Why masses attract."

Gerenuk said:
Yes, I did ask about gravity. But it would also be interesting to know how the Coulomb force acts through photons. At some point I will dive into QFT, but for know I was hoping to get a rough answer about what happens when two charges interaction. I mean where/when are there photons? How is momentum conserved?

In the Coulomb gauge where only physical (photon) variables are present, there is an instant Coulomb interaction term. But even in non-relativistic case the Coulomb interaction occurs bewteen de Broglie waves, not between point-like charges.

1. What is the QFT picture of forces?

The QFT (Quantum Field Theory) picture of forces is a theoretical framework that explains the interactions between elementary particles and their corresponding force carriers. It is based on the concept of quantum fields, which describes the fundamental particles of matter as excitations in a field that permeates all of space.

2. How does the QFT picture of forces differ from classical physics?

The QFT picture of forces differs from classical physics in that it takes into account the principles of quantum mechanics, which describes the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. In classical physics, forces are described as acting at a distance, while in QFT, forces are mediated by particles exchanging energy and momentum.

3. What are the four fundamental forces in the QFT picture?

The four fundamental forces in the QFT picture are the strong nuclear force, the weak nuclear force, electromagnetism, and gravity. Each of these forces is carried by a specific type of force carrier particle, such as gluons for the strong force and photons for electromagnetism.

4. How does the QFT picture of forces explain the unification of forces?

The QFT picture of forces explains the unification of forces by showing how the four fundamental forces can be described by a single theoretical framework. This is achieved through the concept of symmetry breaking, where at high energies, all four forces are thought to be unified into a single force, but as the energy decreases, the forces become distinct and separate.

5. What is the significance of the QFT picture of forces in understanding the universe?

The QFT picture of forces is significant in understanding the universe because it provides a comprehensive framework for describing the interactions between all particles and forces. It has been successful in predicting and explaining many phenomena, such as the behavior of subatomic particles and the origin of the universe. It also allows for the exploration of new theories and potential unification of forces, which could lead to a deeper understanding of the fundamental nature of our universe.