What is the relation between inductance and reluctance?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between inductance and reluctance in a magnetic core with a coil wound around it. It is stated that as the reluctance is increased, the inductance decreases. This is because reluctance is inversely proportional to permeability and area, resulting in a decrease in magnetic flux through the coil.
Bavuka
Hi,

say for example we have a magnetic core with a coil wound around, and if we introduce an airgap (i.e. increasing the reluctance), how is inductance reduced? I read on some forum (see source below) that inductance scale inversely with reluctance.

So I do not have the mental picture of why inductance scale inversely with reluctance, and I hope some may help me establish that picture.

Thanks

Source:
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-relation-between-inductance-and-reluctance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Bavuka said:
So I do not have the mental picture of why inductance scale inversely with reluctance, and I hope some may help me establish that picture.
Magnetic flux (Φ) through a coil is proportional to the current (I) flowing through the coil.
So, Φ∝I or Φ=LI, where L is the inductance of the coil.

If you increased the reluctance and kept the coil current same, magnetic flux will decrease i.e. for the same coil current I, Φ decreases, which means the inductance also decreases.

Likes Bavuka

1. What is inductance and how is it related to reluctance?

Inductance is a property of an electrical circuit that describes the ability of the circuit to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. It is related to reluctance, which is a measure of the opposition to the flow of magnetic flux in a material. The two are related through the equation L = N^2/R, where L is inductance, N is the number of turns in a coil, and R is reluctance.

2. How does inductance affect the performance of an electrical circuit?

Inductance plays an important role in the performance of an electrical circuit. It affects the rate at which current changes, the amount of energy that can be stored in the circuit, and the behavior of the circuit in the presence of AC signals. A high inductance can result in slower changes in current, while a low inductance can lead to faster changes and potentially cause voltage spikes.

3. What factors affect inductance and reluctance in a circuit?

The inductance and reluctance of a circuit are affected by several factors, including the number of turns in a coil, the material used for the core of the coil, the shape and size of the coil, and the presence of nearby conductive materials. All of these factors can impact the ability of a circuit to store energy and the amount of opposition to the flow of magnetic flux.

4. How are inductance and reluctance measured?

Inductance is typically measured using an inductance meter, which applies a known voltage to the circuit and measures the resulting current. Reluctance is often calculated using the dimensions and material properties of the circuit. However, it can also be measured using a reluctometer, which applies a known magnetic field to the material and measures the resulting magnetic flux.

5. What are some practical applications of inductance and reluctance?

Inductance and reluctance have many practical applications, including in power electronics, transformers, motors, and generators. They are also important in the design of filters, antennas, and other RF circuits. Understanding and controlling inductance and reluctance is crucial for optimizing the performance and efficiency of these devices.