What is the relationship between I_eq and i_1, i_2, i_3 in Kirchhoff's Laws?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
math4everyone
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I have the following circuit
10fq6hk.jpg

What is the relation between $$I_{eq}~~and~~ i_1, i_2, i_3$$?

Homework Equations


Kirchhoff Laws

The Attempt at a Solution


See the image above
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You have correctly found that i1=i2+i3. What can you say about the relative size of i2 and i3?
 
kuruman said:
You have correctly found that i1=i2+i3. What can you say about the relative size of i2 and i3?
I think they are equal
 
kuruman said:
They are, but do you know the reason why?
Yes:
rvdh5w.png
 
OK great. You have found the relations between i1, i2 and i3. All that remains is how Ieq. fits in the picture. Any ideas?
 
kuruman said:
OK great. You have found the relations between i1, i2 and i3. All that remains is how Ieq. fits in the picture. Any ideas?
I would say it's the same as i1 because it's the same current that flows through the resistors.