What is the relationship between memory size and address space?

• Thread starter fireflies
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, the address space in memory refers to the total number of locations that can be identified. This is determined by the number of bits used for addresses, with older computers typically using 16 bits, allowing for 65536 different addresses. The examples given are exercises to determine the number of bits needed to address a certain amount of memory, with the prefix K representing 1024 in decimal notation.
fireflies
Address space is the total number of identifiable locations in memory. I just learned that line. What does that mean elaborately?

like it is said, a memory with 64KB and a word size of 1 byte has an address space ranging from 0 to 65535. How that came from? And why ranging? because I got two other examples saying exact adresses?

the examples are:
1) A computer has 32 MB memory. How many bits are needed to address any single byte in memory?
Solution: 25 bits
2) A computer has 128 MB memory. Each word (what is the word elaborately?) is 8 byte. how many bits are needed to address single word? (Can you please make me understand tge question and the calculation?)
Solution: 24 bits

Attachments

• 1469601858796.jpg
    1469601858796.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 481
Technology news on Phys.org
A binary number with ##n## bits can take on ##2^n## different values.

In IT, the prefix K means ##2^{10}##, which is 1024 in decimal notation. So 64 KB = 65536. That is also ##2^{16}##. Older computers had 16 bits for addresses, in that way they could form 65536 different addresses.

The examples are exercises for you, not for PF. So you first should make your own attempt and post :smile:. Don't worry, help will surely come your way.

Likes fireflies
IThanks for helping..

I just don't understand this part of the examples-

How many bits are needed to address any single word in the memory.. and the solution done with log base 2

BvU said:
A binary number with ##n## bits can take on ##2^n## different values.

I think I got the point :) Thanks you

1. What is address space?

Address space refers to the range of memory addresses that a system can access. It is typically measured in bits or bytes and determines the maximum amount of memory that can be allocated for a program or process to run.

2. Why is understanding address space important?

Understanding address space is important for computer scientists and programmers because it allows them to efficiently manage memory usage and optimize performance. It also helps in identifying and resolving memory-related errors and bugs.

3. How is address space allocated?

Address space is typically allocated by the operating system when a program or process requests memory. The system allocates a block of memory starting from a specific address and ending at a certain point, depending on the size of the request and the available space.

4. What is the difference between virtual address space and physical address space?

Virtual address space refers to the range of memory addresses that a process can access, while physical address space refers to the actual physical memory on the system. Virtual address space is managed by the operating system and can be larger than the physical memory available.

5. How does the size of address space affect a system?

The size of the address space directly affects the maximum amount of memory that can be allocated for programs and processes to run. A larger address space allows for more memory to be utilized, which can improve performance, while a smaller address space may lead to memory-related errors and limitations on the amount of data that can be processed at once.