What is the second derivative of f(x) = x√(5-x)?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
frosty8688
Messages
126
Reaction score
0
1. Find the second derivative of the following function
2. [itex]f(x) = x\sqrt{5-x}, f'(x) = \frac{10-3x}{2\sqrt{5-x}}[/itex]
3. [itex]f"(x)=\frac{-3*2\sqrt{5-x}-(10-3x)(2\sqrt{5-x})*-x}{(2\sqrt{5-x})^{2}}[/itex] Here is where I get lost.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]f"(x)=\frac{-3*2\sqrt{5-x}-(10-3x)(2\sqrt{5-x})*-x}{(2\sqrt{5-x})^{2}}[/itex] Here is where I get lost. [/b][/QUOTE]

There is a slight error in this step. When you differentiated the denominator in the second term, you have not subtracted 1 from the 1/2 power. This is what I got:

[tex]\frac{-3(2\sqrt{5-x})-(10-3x)(2)\frac{1}{2}(5-x)^{-1/2}(-1)}{(2\sqrt{5-x})^2}[/tex]
 
frosty8688 said:
1. Find the second derivative of the following function



2. [itex]f(x) = x\sqrt{5-x}, f'(x) = \frac{10-3x}{2\sqrt{5-x}}[/itex]



3. [itex]f"(x)=\frac{-3*2\sqrt{5-x}-(10-3x)(2\sqrt{5-x})*-x}{(2\sqrt{5-x})^{2}}[/itex] Here is where I get lost.

Also, it's probably simpler to write f'(x) as a product rather than a quotient, and write the radical in exponent form. That way you can use the product rule to get f''(x). I almost always prefer to use the product rule over the quotient rule, because the latter is a bit more complicated, making it easier to make mistakes.

f'(x) = (1/2)(10 - 3x)(5 - x)-1/2
 
I know a lot of sites have this as the first derivative [itex]\sqrt{5-x}(1-\frac{x}{2(5-x)})[/itex] I am wondering what happens to the square root on the bottom? I am just wondering what is easier to work with for the second derivative.
 
Using the product rule, I have [itex]\frac{1}{2} (10-3x)*\frac{-1}{2}(5-x)^{-3/2}*-1-3(5-x) = \frac{1}{4}\frac{10-3x-15+3x}{(5-x)^{3/2}}[/itex] Let me know if I did anything wrong.
 
I see what I did wrong, I forgot to multiply 1/2 all the way through.