What is the significance of calculating the average value of cos?

In summary, the conversation discusses the average value of cos(theta) for molecules hitting a surface with certain speeds and angles, as well as the range of values for theta and the direction of the molecules hitting the surface. The significance of finding this average value is questioned and the conversation concludes with questioning the impact of molecules hitting the surface from different sides of the normal.
srhelfrich
In kinetic theory, the number of molecules hitting a unit area of a surface per unit time with speeds between v and v + dv and angles between \theta and \theta + d \theta is found to be a function of sin(theta) and cos(theta). There will often be a practice problem asking to show that the average value of cos(theta) for these molecules is 2/3.

My question is why the expected value wouldn't be zero instead of 2/3? What is the significance of finding this average value?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check the average value of |cos(θ)|.

srhelfrich said:
My question is why the expected value wouldn't be zero instead of 2/3?
What is the range of values of θ? Are you considering molecules that hit one side or both sides of the wall?

I understand that it works out mathematically. I also figured out that theta is measured with respect to the normal of the wall so now I see why it shouldn't be zero.

But what is the significance of finding the average value? Why is this something we would be interested in calculating?

jtbell said:
What is the range of values of θ? Are you considering molecules that hit one side or both sides of the wall?
Yeah, I just realized the range is from 0 to pi/2. The angle is measured wrt the normal of the wall.

Svein said:
Check the average value of |cos(θ)|.
Sure, the math works.

But why is it significant?

srhelfrich said:
Yeah, I just realized the range is from 0 to pi/2. The angle is measured wrt the normal of the wall.
What about molecules coming in from one side of the normal, versus coming in from the other side of the normal?

1. What is the purpose of calculating the average value of cos?

The average value of cos is an important mathematical concept that helps us understand the behavior of a cosine function over a given interval. It allows us to determine the average height of a cosine curve and also provides insights into its symmetry and period.

2. How is the average value of cos calculated?

The average value of cos is calculated by dividing the integral of cos(x) over a given interval by the length of that interval. Mathematically, it can be represented as (1/b-a) * ∫cos(x)dx where a and b are the lower and upper limits of the interval.

3. What does the average value of cos tell us about a cosine function?

The average value of cos provides information about the average height of a cosine curve over a given interval. It also gives us insights into the symmetry and period of the cosine function. Additionally, it can help us determine the average rate of change of a cosine function over a specific interval.

4. Can the average value of cos be negative?

Yes, the average value of cos can be negative. This is because the cosine function can have both positive and negative values, and the average value is simply the average of these values over a given interval. It is possible for the integral of cos(x) to be negative, resulting in a negative average value.

5. What is the significance of the average value of cos in real-world applications?

The average value of cos has many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and signal processing. It is used to calculate the average power of an alternating current, determine the average temperature over a period of time, and analyze periodic signals in electrical and mechanical systems.