What is the significance of phase constant in the wave equation?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Sciencer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Constant Phase
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Sciencer
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
we have the wave equation as follows with non zero phase constant:


y(x,t) = ym * sin(k( x - PHI/k) - wt)
or

y(x,t) = ym * sin(kx - w(t + PHI / w))

I don't understand where did the PHI /k or PHI / w came from ??

I understand how did we derive the wave equation but I don't understand this part.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Sciencer said:
we have the wave equation as follows with non zero phase constant:y(x,t) = ym * sin(k( x - PHI/k) - wt)
or

y(x,t) = ym * sin(kx - w(t + PHI / w))

I don't understand where did the PHI /k or PHI / w came from ??

I understand how did we derive the wave equation but I don't understand this part.

You just substitute in and both equation are the same.

But the more basic thing is, I never seen any book write it this way, that is very confusing. The three terms are totally independent. [itex]\omega t[/itex] is the time dependent, kx is distance dependent, and [itex]\phi[/itex] is a phase constant. You don't confuse this more by mixing them together as if they are related.

People usually set either t=0 or x=0 as a reference and generate two separate equations that relate t or x with [itex]\phi[/itex]. With this, you can generate two separate graphs of (y vs t) or (y vs x).
 
Last edited:
I see but what is then the reason for putting it in this form? What is the logic behind it ?
 
I don't see the logic and I never seen any book that presented it this way. I disagree with the book. In fact, I am at this very moment doing a lot of digging and asking questions regarding to these very kind of phasing issue with respect to direction of propagation, been searching through a lot of books and no body tries to put the equation like this way...as if it is not confused enough dealing with phase constant with respects to t and x alone.
 
Last edited:
I don't understand where did the PHI /k or PHI / w came from ??
they just come from simple manipulation,there is nothing special about it.Don't break your head on this.