What Is the Significance of the Solar Eclipse on March 20, 2015?

In summary: We Americans (21% coverage) were sadly not able to view the eclipse at all, due to clouds and darkness here in Oregon.In summary, the UK is expecting a very long and bright solar eclipse tomorrow morning. The eclipse will be 95% coverage in the north of Scotland and 85% down here in the south. The totality shadow will cross from the North Atlantic to the Faroes Islands and over to Svalbard, north of Norway. The UK will also be the best place to view the eclipse due to the high tides and good weather conditions.
Garth
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Just to let everyone know here in the UK we are waiting expectantly for the Solar Eclipse tomorrow morning - max at around 9.30am.

98% coverage in the north of Scotland and the Orkneys, Hebrides and Shetland islands, 85% down here in the south.

The totality shadow crosses from the North Atlantic, to the Faroes Islands and over to Svalbard, north of Norway.

As the Moon is at or very near perigee this will a particularly long eclipse 2 mins 47 secs east of the Faroes.

It is also the Spring Equinox so we are expecting very high tides as well.

Garth

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Thanks - too late to book at trip to the Faroes now but that must be pretty nice (weather permitting*). UK and Scandinavia are more favored this time than us southerners :)

* Ah, 7°C, some showers according to one forecast for tomorrow morning. Hope it clears up for those who are there.

Last edited:
Taking the day off work to view, weather forecast does look a bit dodgy, but hopefully will see more than we did back in 1999.

good luck guys :)

I think it's 95% coverage here in South Sweden, I will try to take some photos (but I've got crappy equipment, so it will be a challenge :biggrin:)...it's just three hours away now...:smile:

Eclipse just started down in Cornwall, 8/8ths cloud here in Kent - typical! :H

The good news has been great astronomy and eclipse interest on TV, three nights of 'Stargazing Live', Prof Brian Cox, Buzz Aldrin and many others!:smile:

Garth

Well, it has passed us... it was very cloudy over here...but...luckily...it was bright enough for me to manage to snap a bunch of photos through the clouds where the eclipse could be seen. The photos are probably far from spectacular, but I will look them through and probably share a couple of them in this thread.

Here it has almost come and gone!

A grey sky went even gloomier for a few minutes, thankfully we were able to watch great coverage on TV 'Stagazing Live' eclipse special including totality from the air over the Faroes.

Presenter Liz Bonnin had the best view above cloud level over the Faroes in a solar telescope equipped aircraft.

Bailey's Beads visible, corona and prominences, one particularly prominent and the diamond ring.

Down on the ground in the Faroes it was cloudy - so if you didn't book your flight you didn't miss much except a startling and sudden darkness.

Ah well - USA 21st Aug 2017 and Egypt in 2nd Aug 2027, almost 6 1/2 minutes.

Ok, here are two of the best ones I took, not exactly Hubble quality :biggrin:, but it was the best I could do...
(with a mere compact digital camera and darn cloudy skies)

16870358892_e9c79612ef_c.jpg

16685401159_35254c5077_o.jpg

Links to a couple of more of my photos:
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8701/16683904038_9f86382164_o.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7586/16251550763_ba6339cf99_o.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8611/16684124690_66b61b9281_o.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8611/16870521601_78c1a32c5a_o.jpg

Likes Garth and davenn
Well done Dennis! - my sky was cloudier than yours, I could post a picture of grey - but it would be , well just grey...

Garth

Garth said:
Well done Dennis! - my sky was cloudier than yours

Garth said:
I could post a picture of grey - but it would be , well just grey...
Too bad... :frown: I did not expect to get any shots of it, I was just out to try to capture light differences, but I noticed it started to shine through just when the eclipse was at maximum here (approximately).

Last edited:
Likes wabbit
Metallman where were you for the eclipse?

Here in the SE of England (85% max. coverage) the grey sky turned noticeably gloomier at 9.30 - 35 am, but only as if a particularly thick cloud had passed over.

Garth

Managed to view through the clouds from North Yorkshire (90% max coverage), gloomy skies too, unfortunately my attempts at photography failed.

Related to What Is the Significance of the Solar Eclipse on March 20, 2015?

1. What is a solar eclipse?

A solar eclipse occurs when the moon passes between the sun and the Earth, blocking the sun's light and casting a shadow on the Earth.

2. When will the solar eclipse occur on March 20, 2015?

The solar eclipse will occur on March 20, 2015 at approximately 9:45 AM (GMT) and will last for about 2 minutes and 47 seconds.

3. Where will the solar eclipse be visible?

The solar eclipse will be visible in parts of Europe, Northern Africa, and Asia. The path of totality, where the sun will be completely blocked by the moon, will pass over the Faroe Islands and the Norwegian archipelago of Svalbard.

4. Are there any safety precautions to take during a solar eclipse?

Yes, it is important to never look directly at the sun during a solar eclipse. Even when the sun is partially blocked by the moon, it can still cause damage to your eyes. It is recommended to use special eclipse glasses or a pinhole projector to safely view the eclipse.

5. How often does a solar eclipse occur?

A solar eclipse occurs approximately every 18 months, but it is not always visible from the same location. The next solar eclipse visible from Europe will occur on August 12, 2026.