What is the smallest ball that can carry one esu?

In summary, the conversation discusses the minimum radius needed to hold 1 esu of charge on a plate or ball, the best material for this purpose, and the possibility of measuring this charge accurately with a cheap instrument. The experts suggest that there is no lower limit to the radius, but there is a practical limit to the voltage that can be applied before sparks occur. They also mention that the material used is irrelevant and suggest using a van de Graaff generator for experiments. They also discuss the possibility of using negative charges on both balls to avoid sparks and the difficulty of quantitatively measuring the charge with conventional instruments.
bobie
Gold Member
Suppose I want to collect 1 esu (2.081 billion charges) on a plate or on a ball, what is the smallest radius that will carry such a charge?
From data I gathered around a ball of 1 mm of radius would be large enough, can you confirm that? What material is best, steel, silver or non-conductive material?

Also, can I measure the charge on the plate/ball with an accuracy of five figures with a cheap instrument (less than 50-100 $) ?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello bobie,

Why would there be a lower limit to this radius ?

Hey BvU,

Isn't there a limit on the quantity of charges on any body? I read that on a 1m sphere you can put 10^16 charges, so I deduced that on a 1mm ball you can have10^9.
Do you know how to measure that charge?

There is no limit in the continuum formalism. A sphere is a capacitor and if you put more charge on it, the voltage increases. On that voltage there is a practical limit: with things in the neigbourhood that are at a lower voltage you get spectacular lightning effects.

Measuring is easy in principle: calculate the capacitance and measure the voltage. But that becomes unpractical and unhealthy when you're in the MegaVolt range.

Likes bobie
All right, then, I want to measure the electrostatic force at home. I want to put 1 esu on two balls without any dischage at 1 cm distance.

What is the most suitable size?
How do I get 2 billion electrons on each ball with 4 significant figures?

I take it you want +1 esu on one ball and -1 esu on the other ? heart to heart 1 cm apart ?
That limits the ball radius to 0.5 cm...
So then you know the voltage difference.

With ##C = 4\pi\epsilon_0 R## and ## Q = CV## you have all you need to find V.

Example: 1 esu on 1 mm ##\ \Rightarrow ## $$\ \ V = {3.3356 \times 10^{-10} \over 4\pi \, 8.854\times 10^{-12}}\; {1\over 1 \times 10^{-3}} = 2998 \ V$$

(The 2998 has to do with the speed of light...)

Another ball with -1 esu 1 cm further heart to heart gives 6 kV / 8 mm = 750 kV/m

Link says 3 MV/m for air so no sparks expected.

But, as you see, a lower bound to the ball radius comes into the picture. Not because the charge itself on a ball is limited, but the voltage difference shouldn't exceed the breakdown voltage. In fact there is also an upper limit: close to 5 mm there will also be a high ##\Delta V \over \Delta x##

Actually measuring the charge will be pretty difficult. And: the 4 significant figures is a nice idea, but probably hard to realize.

--

Likes bobie
So, 2 balls 1 cm in diameter 1 cm apart should be safe, right? what material is irrelevant? but,

If we put negative charge on both balls, can't we avoid sparks and have a smaller radius?

Is there any trick by which I gen get 1 statcoulomb on the balls? What instrument can tell me there are (roughly) 2.081 billion charges?
Can you do that in a college lab?

bobie said:
So, 2 balls 1 cm in diameter 1 cm apart should be safe, right? what material is irrelevant? but,

If we put negative charge on both balls, can't we avoid sparks and have a smaller radius?

Is there any trick by which I gen get 1 statcoulomb on the balls? What instrument can tell me there are (roughly) 2.081 billion charges?
Can you do that in a college lab?
Good questions, but I really have no idea.

Material should be irrelevant.
Usually electrostatics experiments are done by rubbing isolators on cat skins and such. A bit more serious would be a home-made vanderwaals generator (or a cheapo one ).

[edit] better make that a van de graaff generator -- boy where was I with my thoughts !

With negative charges on both balls ( or positive on both ) at least you don't have the high ##\Delta V\over \Delta x## so you can have any radius you like and use huge voltages.

There must be sites with a lot of teaching resources on this subject.

For measuring quantitatively I have no bright ideas. Conventional measurements won't work (your two billion e are gone in a split second :)

--

Last edited:
Likes bobie
Thanks, that was really useful

1. What is an esu?

An esu, or electrostatic unit, is a unit of electric charge commonly used in the field of electrostatics.

2. How is the smallest ball that can carry one esu determined?

The smallest ball that can carry one esu is determined by the value of the electric charge on the ball and the surrounding electric field.

3. Is there a specific material that the smallest ball that can carry one esu must be made of?

No, the material of the ball does not affect its ability to carry one esu. However, the material may affect the behavior of the electric charge on the ball.

4. Can any ball carry one esu?

No, not every ball can carry one esu. The ball must have a certain amount of electric charge and be placed in a specific electric field to carry one esu.

5. How is the value of one esu determined?

The value of one esu is determined by the force between two stationary point charges, where the distance between the charges is one centimeter and the charges are equal to one esu each.