Charge distribution on a conductor

In summary: Your name]In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between charge and surface curvature, with a focus on the importance of considering both mean curvature and Gaussian curvature. The speaker also mentions the controversy surrounding this topic and provides references to relevant papers for further study.
bcrowell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Recently I've been trying to understand this subject in more detail. I thought I'd post some of what I've learned here in case either (a) it's useful to others, or (b) others can add to what I've found out. Surprisingly, this seems to be a subject on which people are still publishing papers, and there is even some controversy.

The general observation is that charge is more dense at places where the surface has more curvature.

First off, it's easy to show that this can't be a universal relationship. For example, you can have a Faraday cage. Virtually no charge will collect on the interior, no matter how big the local curvature.

There are two natural ways in which you can measure the curvature. One is the Gaussian curvature K, and the other is the mean curvature H. The Gaussian curvature is intrinsic, and the nature of the problem is extrinsic (forces go through the 3-d space in which the conductor is embedded), so you would expect that H would probably matter more. Actually it turns out that sometimes H matters, but sometimes K matters.

The following argument in favor of H is given by McAllister. Let E(s) be the magnitude of the electric field along a field line, as a function of arc length along this field line. Gauss's law leads to the fact that E'/E=-2H, where H is the mean curvature of the equipotential passing through the field line at a given s. You can easily verify this in the cases where the conductor is a plane, a line, or a point.

The most common example used to argue that charge prefers to go to areas of greater curvature is the one where you have two spheres at an equal potential. Although K and H aren't independent variables for a sphere, it should be clear from the above that we're really talking about H here, not K. To confirm this, consider the case where you have two parallel, conducting cylinders of unequal radius at an equal potential. Clearly the charge densities are unequal, and this will relate to their H, not to their K, which is zero.

Nevertheless, there are cases in which the charge density is exactly proportional to K1/4! McAllister has shown that these include the following: ellipsoid, hyperboloid of two sheets, elliptic paraboloid, hyperboloid of one sheet, hyperbolic paraboloid. (These are the only cases where the potential depends on a single coordinate, the coordinates are orthogonal, and the Laplace equation is separable in these coordinates.)

Although this result by McAllister is limited to these five cases, I've observed in numerical simulations that there is quite a strong tendency for the charge to conform to the Gaussian curvature. In this figure http://www.lightandmatter.com/html_books/lm/ch21/ch21.html#fig:lightning-rod , you can see that there's an extremely low density of charges in the region of the pear-shaped conductor where K is near zero, even though H is not near zero there.

There's a classic result that at an angular edge between two half-planes with exterior angle β, the surface charge density is [itex]\propto R^{\pi/\beta-1}[/itex]. Note that it's impossible to make sense of this by attributing it to the Gaussian curvature, since K is an indeterminate form at an edge. (That is, K depends on the product of the two principal radii of curvature, and at an edge, the limiting value of this product depends on the rate at which one radius goes to zero while the other goes to infinity.) H blows up to infinity in a determinate way as you sharpen the edge, so that's better, but these solutions still have nonzero charge density away from the edge, where both H and K are zero.

I wish it were possible to come up with a simple conceptual explanation for all this, but there's quite a variety of phenomena to account for, and since none of the mathematical rules are universal, it seems unlikely that there's a really good conceptual explanation that applies in all cases. DaleSpam gave one here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1456578&postcount=2 . I don't quite understand the argument; maybe DaleSpam could explain in more detail. It seems like the curvature it would relate to would be H, not K, since the normal components of the field to which he's referring would tend to cancel for a saddle with H=0.

This may also be of interest: http://math.stackexchange.com/quest...-proportional-to-fourth-power-of-the-distance

The sequence of papers below shows that there is some controversy about this issue. It seems like a deep problem in the sense that there's an interplay of global and local.

Enze, http://iopscience.iop.org/0022-3727/19/1/005

Zhang, http://iopscience.iop.org/0022-3727/21/7/028

Fan, http://iopscience.iop.org/0022-3727/21/2/019

McAllister - I W McAllister 1990 J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 23 359 doi:10.1088/0022-3727/23/3/016

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your findings and observations on the relationship between charge and surface curvature. It is indeed a complex and intriguing subject that continues to be studied and debated by scientists.

I agree with your points regarding the importance of considering both mean curvature and Gaussian curvature in understanding this relationship. It is interesting to note that in some cases, one may be more relevant than the other, but in general, both play a role in determining the charge distribution on a surface.

I also found your mention of the controversy surrounding this topic to be thought-provoking. It is always important to consider different perspectives and approaches in scientific research, as it can lead to new insights and understanding.

Thank you for providing references to relevant papers on this subject. I will definitely look into them for further exploration.

What is charge distribution on a conductor?

Charge distribution on a conductor refers to the way that electric charge is spread out or distributed across the surface of a conductor. It is influenced by the shape and size of the conductor, as well as the amount of charge it holds.

How does charge distribute on a conductor?

The charge on a conductor distributes itself in such a way that the electric field inside the conductor is zero. This means that the charges will move and distribute themselves until they are in a state of equilibrium, with no net force acting on them.

What is the significance of charge distribution on a conductor?

The distribution of charge on a conductor is important because it determines the strength and direction of the electric field around the conductor. This, in turn, affects how the conductor behaves in an electric circuit and how it interacts with other conductors or charged objects.

How is charge distribution affected by different factors?

The charge distribution on a conductor can be influenced by various factors, including the shape and size of the conductor, the material it is made of, and the presence of other charged objects nearby. Additionally, the amount of charge on the conductor also affects its distribution.

What are some real-world applications of charge distribution on a conductor?

The concept of charge distribution on a conductor is essential in understanding and designing electrical circuits, as well as in the development of technologies such as capacitors, antennas, and lightning rods. It is also relevant in fields such as electrochemistry, where the distribution of charge on electrodes affects the outcome of reactions.