What is the smallest reference of time

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of absolute resolution of time and the potential smallest unit of time, with the mention of Planck time as a possible answer. The idea of time being a discreet unit is also mentioned, but it is noted that this remains theoretical and unconfirmed. The conversation also touches upon the concept of infinite problems and the relationship between time and space.
DARKSYDE
ive heard of nano seconds, pico seconds and what not, but I am wondering what the absolute resolution of time is? I am leaning towards infinite

Physics news on Phys.org
DARKSYDE said:
ive heard of nano seconds, pico seconds and what not, but I am wondering what the absolute resolution of time is? I am leaning towards infinite

If by "infinite", you mean "infinitely short", you'd be mistaken. Time, as it relates to the field of quantum mechanics, is discreet; not continuous. That is to say, if we were ever to measure the shortest period between t0 and t1, we'd find that there's no "time" in between t0 and t1. Just how short of a time the differetial is dependent on the kinetic energies of the particles we are measuring (bear in mind that Einstein revolutionized our concept of physical reality by unifying time and space into a single, fourth-dimentional, "space-time continuum." Thus, space may be that distance between the two particles being measured; hence we arrive at an answer to your time question).

In some theory,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_time" is the smallest interval of time
BUT keep in mind that this has NOT been confirmed yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
netheril96 said:
In some theory,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_time" is the smallest interval of time

Such things would likely always remain theoretical. One can construct a law around the idea that time is a discreet unit, but proving the law would likely remain elusive.

This is linked with many other infinite problems such as:

If you take a pencil and you bring it closer and closer to a desk - firstly it is 1cm away, then 0.1cm away, then 0.01cm...0.0000000001cm

And for it to actually reach the table - it would have to pass the infinitely small value and reach 0.

netheril96 said:

I also think the smallest unit of time would be Planck time, I find it easier to understand time by looking at Planck time as a single frame animation in a cartoon. I don't think a time frame could be shorter than this, as, if I understand it correctly, c limits it.

best

Colin

What is the smallest reference of time?

The smallest reference of time is known as Planck time, which is approximately 5.39 x 10^-44 seconds. It is the shortest possible duration that can be measured.

How was Planck time discovered?

Max Planck, a German physicist, first proposed the concept of Planck time in 1899 as part of his work on quantum mechanics. It was later developed further by Albert Einstein and other scientists.

Why is Planck time considered the smallest reference of time?

Planck time is considered the smallest reference of time because it is the shortest duration that can be measured within the known laws of physics. It is the point at which time and space are thought to become indivisible.

Can Planck time be measured?

Currently, there is no technology or method available to directly measure Planck time. It is considered a theoretical concept and is used as a reference point in certain calculations and theories.

What implications does Planck time have on our understanding of the universe?

The existence of Planck time has led to further exploration and understanding of the fundamental laws and principles of the universe, such as the relationship between time and space. It also plays a crucial role in theories such as the Big Bang and quantum gravity.