Center of Ring $M_n(\Bbb C)$ - POTW

In summary, the Center of Ring $M_n(\Bbb C)$ is a set of elements in the ring of $n\times n$ matrices with complex entries that commute with all other elements in the ring. To determine the center, one can solve equations for all possible pairs of matrices in the ring. The center is significant because it allows for more efficient calculations and can be related to other ring concepts. However, it can also be empty in certain cases.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Compute the center of the ring $M_n(\Bbb C)$ of all $n\times n$ complex matrices.

-----

Remember to read the https://mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to https://mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
No one answered this problem. You can read my solution below.
The center is the set of all complex scalar $n\times n$ matrices. Since the identity commutes with every square matrix, so does every scalar matrix; therefore all scalar matrices are central. Conversely, if $X$ is belongs to the center of $M_n(\Bbb C)$, then it commutes with all elementary matrices $E_{ij}$ where $E_{ij}$ has a $1$ in the $(i,j)$-entry and zeros everywhere else. So if $X = [X_{ab}]$, then by comparing the $(a,c)$-entry of $X E_{ji}$ and $E_{ji}X$ we find \[\sum_b X_{ab}\delta_{bj}\delta_{ci} = \sum_b \delta_{aj} \delta_{bi} X_{bc}\] or $X_{aj}\delta_{ci} = \delta_{aj}X_{ic}$. Taking $a = j$ and $c = i$ in the equation yields $X_{jj} = X_{ii}$. Further, taking $a = c = i$ in the equation we deduce $X_{ij} = 0$ if $i \neq j$. Since $i$ and $j$ are arbitrary, $X$ is a scalar matrix.

What is the Center of Ring $M_n(\Bbb C)$?

The Center of Ring $M_n(\Bbb C)$ is the set of all elements in the ring $M_n(\Bbb C)$ that commute with every other element in the ring. In other words, it is the set of all matrices that can be multiplied with any other matrix in the ring without changing the result.

Why is the Center of Ring $M_n(\Bbb C)$ important?

The Center of Ring $M_n(\Bbb C)$ is important because it allows for simplification of computations involving matrices. If a matrix is in the center of the ring, it can be factored out of any multiplication, making calculations easier and more efficient.

How can the Center of Ring $M_n(\Bbb C)$ be calculated?

The Center of Ring $M_n(\Bbb C)$ can be calculated by finding all matrices in the ring that commute with every other matrix. This can be done by setting up and solving a system of equations, or by using properties of matrices such as the commutative property.

What are some properties of the Center of Ring $M_n(\Bbb C)$?

Some properties of the Center of Ring $M_n(\Bbb C)$ include: it is a commutative subring of $M_n(\Bbb C)$, it contains the identity matrix, and it is closed under addition and multiplication.

How does the Center of Ring $M_n(\Bbb C)$ relate to other concepts in mathematics?

The concept of the Center of Ring $M_n(\Bbb C)$ is closely related to the concept of a centralizer in group theory, where the centralizer of an element in a group is the set of all elements that commute with that element. It is also relevant in linear algebra, as it is a fundamental concept in the study of matrices and their properties.