What is the order of $SL_n(\Bbb F_p)$ for a prime integer $p$?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Euge
  • Start date
In summary, the special linear group $SL_n(\Bbb F_p)$ is a group of invertible $n \times n$ matrices with entries in the finite field $\Bbb F_p$ whose determinant is 1. The number of elements in $SL_n(\Bbb F_p)$ is equal to the number of invertible $n \times n$ matrices with entries in $\Bbb F_p$, and its order increases as both $n$ and $p$ increase. $SL_n(\Bbb F_p)$ is a subgroup of the general linear group $GL_n(\Bbb F_p)$ and is related to other groups in abstract algebra, such as matrix groups and linear groups.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
For $p$ a prime integer, compute the order of the special linear group $SL_n(\Bbb F_p)$, where $\Bbb F_p$ is the field with $p$ elements.

-----

Remember to read the https://mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to https://mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
This week’s problem was solved correctly by Olinguito. You can read his solution below.
We first compute the order of the general linear group $\mathrm{GL}_n(\mathbb F_p)$.

The first column can be any $n\times1$ column vector except the zero vector and so there are $p^n-1$ choices for the first column. The second column can be any vector except a linear multiple of the first, giving $p^n-p$ choices for the second column. In general, the $i$th column can be any column vector except a linear combination of the first $i-1$; there are $p^{i-1}$ such linear combinations and so there are $p^n-p^{i-1}$ choices for the $i$th column. Hence we get $$\left|\mathrm{GL}_n(\mathbb F_p)\right|\ =\ (p^n-1)(p^n-p)\cdots(p^n-p^{n-1}).$$
Next, consider the determinant function $\det:\mathrm{GL}_n(\mathbb F_p)\to\mathbb F_p^\times$, the multiplicative group of the nonzero elements of $\mathbb F_p$. This function is surjective, for, given $a\in\mathbb F_p^\times$, if $A$ is the diagonal matrix with $(1,1)$th entry $a$ and all other entries on the leading diagonal $1$, then $\det(A)=a$. It is also a homomorphism by the multiplicative property of determinants. The kernel of this homomorphism is the group of all matrices with determinant $1$, namely $\mathrm{SL}_n(\mathbb F_p)$. Hence, we have
$$\mathrm{GL}_n(\mathbb F_p)/\mathrm{SL}_n(\mathbb F_p)\ \cong\ \mathbb F_p^\times$$
and so$$\left|\mathrm{SL}_n\left(\mathbb F_p\right)\right|\ =\ \frac{\left|\mathrm{GL}_n\left(\mathbb F_p\right)\right|}{\left|\mathbb F_p^\times\right|}\ =\ \frac{\displaystyle\prod_{i=0}^{n-1}\left(p^n-p^i\right)}{p-1}.$$

1. What is the definition of the special linear group $SL_n(\Bbb F_p)$?

The special linear group $SL_n(\Bbb F_p)$ is the group of all $n \times n$ matrices with entries in the finite field $\Bbb F_p$ (also known as the field of integers modulo $p$) whose determinant is 1. In other words, it is the set of all invertible $n \times n$ matrices with entries in $\Bbb F_p$.

2. How many elements are in $SL_n(\Bbb F_p)$?

The number of elements in $SL_n(\Bbb F_p)$ is equal to the number of invertible $n \times n$ matrices with entries in $\Bbb F_p$. This can be calculated using the formula $|SL_n(\Bbb F_p)| = (p^n - 1)(p^n - p)(p^n - p^2) ... (p^n - p^{n-1})$. In other words, the order of $SL_n(\Bbb F_p)$ is equal to the product of the numbers $p^n - k$ for $k$ ranging from 0 to $n-1$.

3. How does the order of $SL_n(\Bbb F_p)$ change as $n$ and $p$ vary?

The order of $SL_n(\Bbb F_p)$ is affected by both $n$ and $p$. As $n$ increases, the order of $SL_n(\Bbb F_p)$ also increases, as there are more possible combinations of entries in an $n \times n$ matrix. Similarly, as $p$ increases, the order of $SL_n(\Bbb F_p)$ also increases, as there are more elements in the finite field $\Bbb F_p$. In general, the order of $SL_n(\Bbb F_p)$ grows very quickly as both $n$ and $p$ increase.

4. What is the relationship between $SL_n(\Bbb F_p)$ and the general linear group $GL_n(\Bbb F_p)$?

The special linear group $SL_n(\Bbb F_p)$ is a subgroup of the general linear group $GL_n(\Bbb F_p)$. $SL_n(\Bbb F_p)$ consists of all matrices in $GL_n(\Bbb F_p)$ with determinant 1, while $GL_n(\Bbb F_p)$ consists of all invertible matrices with entries in $\Bbb F_p$. In other words, $SL_n(\Bbb F_p)$ is a subset of $GL_n(\Bbb F_p)$, and all elements of $SL_n(\Bbb F_p)$ are also elements of $GL_n(\Bbb F_p)$.

5. How is $SL_n(\Bbb F_p)$ related to other groups in abstract algebra?

$SL_n(\Bbb F_p)$ is an example of a special linear group, which is a type of matrix group. It is also a subgroup of the general linear group $GL_n(\Bbb F_p)$, which is a type of linear group. Linear groups and matrix groups are important topics in abstract algebra and have applications in many areas of mathematics, including geometry, number theory, and representation theory.