What Is the Speed of Sound and Vibration in Solids?

In summary, the speed of sound in the two media, air and steel, will determine which arrives first at the other end of a pipe after a collision - the mechanical impact or the sound of impact. Due to the sound energy being less attenuated in the pipe wall, the sound would be heard first. Additionally, sound travels faster through water than surface waves, which travel at a slower speed. The mechanical wave within the metal of the pipe is always faster than the sound wave in the air, water, or other liquid or gas.
Ronie Bayron
Say, I have 10 Km (1m dia.) exposed pipeline under construction phase. 9 Km of the pipe line was already done. Its so happen that at the next pipe length installation, the plane operator mishandled the pipe and it collided at the end where connection should be made, big time that the magnitude of the force would enough to make impact on mountings, support braces of the pipe.

Which would you think arrive first at the other end? Is it the mechanical impact or the sound of impact?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi and welcome.
It would be the speed of sound in the two media that counts here. Sound in air travels at about 330m/s and 5000m/s in steel. Put your ear to the pipe and you would hear that long before the sound of the crash got to you. Also, because the sound energy in the pipe wall does not spread out, as it does in air, the sound would be less attenuated. At 9km, the sound would hardly get to you, via the air, except on a very quite night.
Remember the cowboy films in which the outlaws stick their ears on the railroad track to detect an oncoming train? Well, it made sense - unlike a lot of other Hollywood notions.

You're asking does sound travel through solids faster than its speed through air.

Dr. Courtney said:
Why assume arrival times are different?

Hi, to you sir thank you for the response. I am intrigue on the fact, that there is a little confusions I got from the fundamentals I learned about sound and mechanical vibration.
water-droplet-585x298.jpg
say I am a fish(sensitive to sound) which is 5m away from the droplet. Which will reach me first (the sound or the first wave that travels along the surface?

Last edited:
sophiecentaur said:
Hi and welcome.
It would be the speed of sound in the two media that counts here. Sound in air travels at about 330m/s and 5000m/s in steel. Put your ear to the pipe and you would hear that long before the sound of the crash got to you. Also, because the sound energy in the pipe wall does not spread out, as it does in air, the sound would be less attenuated. At 9km, the sound would hardly get to you, via the air, except on a very quite night.
Remember the cowboy films in which the outlaws stick their ears on the railroad track to detect an oncoming train? Well, it made sense - unlike a lot of other Hollywood notions.
Yes thank you, i know.

Last edited:
Ronie Bayron said:
say I am a fish(sensitive to sound) which is 5m away from the droplet. Which will reach me first (the sound or the first wave that travels along the surface?

The speed of sound in water is usually much much faster than a surface wave. However some tsunami waves do travel very fast.

sophiecentaur said:
. Put your ear to the pipe and you would hear that long before the sound of the crash got to you. Also, because the sound energy in the pipe wall does not spread out, as it does in air, the sound would be less attenuated. At 9km, the sound would hardly get to you, via the air, except on a very quite night.

or a variation on that ...
consider the sound wave that is traveling in the air, within the pipe
It is well confined like a wave guide. there's going to be a lot less attenuation of that sound wave ( compared to the free air one)
but, yes, the metallic clang is still going to arrive firstDave

davenn said:
or a variation on that ...
consider the sound wave that is traveling in the air, within the pipe
It is well confined like a wave guide. there's going to be a lot less attenuation of that sound wave ( compared to the free air one)
Quiz Question -- What does the clang sound like when it arrives at the far end?

(It helps if you've ever been to the Exploratorium in San Francisco, and clapped your hands at the base of the long reflecting tube...) :smile:

http://www.exploratorium.edu/explore

EDIT

Likes davenn
Ronie Bayron said:
the sound or the first wave that travels along the surface
That picture is of a surface wave. That is not how a fish will hear sound through the water, which is a compression wave in the body of the water. Surface waves, as we have all seen, travel at (depending on the wavelength) between mm/s and a few m/s. The speed of compression waves is much higher (as stated earlier) than sound (also compression) waves in air.

Likes Ronie Bayron
Ronie Bayron said:
Which would you think arrive first at the other end? Is it the mechanical impact or the sound of impact?

The answer might depend on the definition of "mechanical impact" vs "sound of impact".

If we graph the x (horizontal) position of the non-impacted end of the pipe vs time, what would the graph look like? Would it have an initial interval where it just oscillated? Or would the initial interval be a steady increase or decrease before we saw any oscillation superimposed on the shape of the graph?

Stephen Tashi said:
The answer might depend on the definition of "mechanical impact" vs "sound of impact".

If we graph the x (horizontal) position of the non-impacted end of the pipe vs time, what would the graph look like? Would it have an initial interval where it just oscillated? Or would the initial interval be a steady increase or decrease before we saw any oscillation superimposed on the shape of the graph?
Thank you, Stephen Tashi. I get it now.

It would take a minimal effort to be heard, other than carrying the whole baggage of clothes of my wife at the airport:smile:. (A parallel) So, sound travels fast than the ,mechanical wave on the surface.

Ronie Bayron said:
So, sound travels fast than the ,mechanical wave on the surface.

on the surface of what ?

did you not read the other responses ?

mechanical wave within the metal of the pipe is always going to be faster than the sound wave in the air
the same for water or any other liquid or solid relative to air/ other gas

seismic waves in the "solid' Earth travel at around 8km / sec ... they are a mechanical wave
In dry air at 20 °C, the speed of sound is 343.2 metres / sec very much slower

Tsunami waves in the open ocean are a bit of a different mechanism and they have a speed of around 800 km / hr ( varies with ocean depth)Dave

davenn said:
on the surface of what ?

did you not read the other responses ?

mechanical wave within the metal of the pipe is always going to be faster than the sound wave in the air
the same for water or any other liquid or solid relative to air/ other gas

seismic waves in the "solid' Earth travel at around 8km / sec ... they are a mechanical wave
In dry air at 20 °C, the speed of sound is 343.2 metres / sec very much slower

Tsunami waves in the open ocean are a bit of a different mechanism and they have a speed of around 800 km / hr ( varies with ocean depth)Dave
Yes, thank you Davenn. I am settled for my answer for the moment. I might cross the other side so soon enough that things will become a bit more complicated for me to solve.

Last edited:
Likes davenn
davenn said:
Tsunami waves in the open ocean are a bit of a different mechanism and they have a speed of around 800 km / hr
This is true but the wave speed of a surface water wave is wavelength dependent. The speed can, as I stated earlier, be just a few mm per second. The surface wave speed could never exceed the bulk pressure wave speed (P waves).

Likes davenn

Related to What Is the Speed of Sound and Vibration in Solids?

What is sound?

Sound is a form of energy that is produced by vibrations in matter. These vibrations create waves that travel through a medium, such as air or water, and can be detected by the human ear.

How does sound travel through solids?

Sound travels through solids in a similar way to how it travels through air. When an object vibrates, it creates compressions and rarefactions in the surrounding material, which then propagate as sound waves. The speed of sound in solids is much faster than in air, which is why sounds can travel long distances through solid materials.

What is the difference between sound and vibration?

Sound is a type of vibration that can be detected by the human ear. Vibration refers to any oscillating or back-and-forth motion of an object. While sound is a specific type of vibration, not all vibrations produce audible sound waves.

How do vibrations affect solids?

Vibrations can affect solids in various ways, depending on the frequency and intensity of the vibration. In some cases, vibrations can cause objects to break or fail. In other cases, vibrations can be harnessed for useful purposes, such as in musical instruments or industrial machinery.

What are some real-life applications of sound and vibration in solids?

Sound and vibration have numerous practical applications in our daily lives. For example, they are used in musical instruments, speakers, and microphones. They are also important for communication, transportation, and industrial processes, such as drilling and cutting materials. Additionally, studying sound and vibration in solids can help us better understand the properties of different materials and how they respond to external forces.