Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I What is the spin quantum number of an atom in 4P state?

1. Mar 23, 2016 #1
    If an atom described by spin-orbit coupling is in a 4P state, why is the spin quantum number s=3/2?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2016 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I guess you mean 4P. How is a term symbol built up?

4. Mar 23, 2016 #3
    That's the terminology in the question yes. I don't quite understand what 4P means though? What do you mean by term symbol?

5. Mar 23, 2016 #4

DrClaude

The description of the angular momentum of a state is called a term symbol. In Russell-Saunders (LS) coupling, it has the form 2S+1LJ. In your particular case, the value of J has been omitted.

6. Mar 23, 2016 #5
    So the angular momentum quantum number is l=1 as it's a P state? How is the value of s determined?

7. Mar 23, 2016 #6

DrClaude

The exponent is 2S+1, so for a quadruplet, 2S+1 = 4 means S=3/2.

8. Mar 23, 2016 #7
    Sorry I've never seen this notation before so I wasn't aware of the relationship. So why do we have L=P then?

9. Mar 23, 2016 #8

DrClaude

It's a legacy from the earlier days of atomic physics. It follows the same nomenclature as orbitals: s, p, d, f, etc., but with uppercase letters (just as the total orbital angular momentum is L, instead of l for the orbital angular momentum of a single electron).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted