Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the squiggly thing over B

  1. Apr 8, 2015 #1
    I am currently taking an optics course and I have been seeing this squiggly symbol of supposed vectors. Are these vectors? In the case of the attached image the squiggly symbol is over B.


    Attached Files:

  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2015 #2
    The squiggly symbol is the tilde. In this case it indicates a complex number called a phasor which is sort of a vector quantity i.e. a number with two components one real and one imaginary A +iB where i = sqrt(-1) This notation is also used in AC circuit theory.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Discussions: What is the squiggly thing over B
  1. What is this thing? (Replies: 9)

  2. What is this thing (Replies: 5)