What is the strength of the earth's electric field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Idea04
Messages
194
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


With the Earth's electric field the strength of the field at the Earth's surface is 100 V/m.
Now I think that means 100 volts per vertical meter height. My question is what is the strength of the Earth's electric field per meter^2 on horizontal Earth's surface?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
The units of electric field are V/m, not V/m^2. That doesn't make much sense.
 
Sorry, I should probably reword my question. The Earth has an electric charge and is being recharged by lightning strikes through out the world. And I read that the Earth is constantly transfering electric charges into the atmosphere. My question is in one square meter of Earth's surface how much electric charge or energy flows by that point on average.
 
Ok. Then you want the surface charge density (coulombs/m^2). Use Gauss's theorem.