What is the Symbolic Solution to the Acceleration Problem of Two Blocks?

  • Thread starter Thread starter rey242
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Acceleration
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
rey242
Messages
40
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


When force F(force is at an angle Theda) is not too large, box m1(smaller top box) moves with box m2(bigger bottom box) without sliding. Find the magnitude of the acceleration of the two blocks.(see attachment)



Homework Equations


F=ma


The Attempt at a Solution


This is from a test that I took and I just wanted to make sure to see if I really did this wrong. The test is all symbolic, by the way.
Fcos(x)-F(friction kinetic)=(m1+m2)a (this is the system equation for the right-left direction)
F(normal)-(m1+m2)g=0 (this is the system equation for the up-down direction)
F(friction kinetic)=F(normal)*(coefficient of kinetic friction)

In order to figure out the acceleration, I got acceleration by itself and plugged in the 3rd equation into F(friction) in the first equation.
Fcos(x)-F(normal)*(coeff.)=(m1+m2)a

Then I used the second equation and replace the force normal:

Fcos(x)-(m1+m2)g*(coeff)=(m1+m2)a

Then after some math, I got this:

Fcos(x)=(m1+m2)a+(m1+m2)g(coeff)
(Fcos(x)/(m1+m2))=a+g(coeff)
(Fcos(x)/(m1+m2))-g(coeff)=a

So can anyone double check this to see if this works out or if the professor is right and this is totally wrong?
Figure1.jpg
 
Physics news on Phys.org
F(normal)-(m1+m2)g=0 (this is the system equation for the up-down direction)

This equation is not correct. If should be ...

Fn = (m1 + m2)*g + F*sinθ

Which means that

Ffr = μk*((m1 + m2)*g + F*sinθ)

etc.