What is the synodic period of Mercury?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Helios
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mercury Period
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 14K views
Helios
Messages
267
Reaction score
63
What is the synodic period of Mercury? What is the average synodic period of Mercury? I have combed the internet. Some sources use a number around

115.877484 days and they seem sure of themselves.

I don't own astronomy references. Help please
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
That page just gives

115.88 days

and I have a feeling that this is a rounded-off number.
 
You can calculate the synoptic period from the orbital period of mercury and Earth
E = Earth sidereal year
P = Other planet sidereal year
Then sp = 1/(1/E-1/P)
 
I would calculate this as ( correcting mgb's equation )
P = 87.9691
E = 365.256363
sp = 1/(1/P-1/E) = 115.8772

However, a lot of internet sources, even encyclopedic ones, have a preference for

sp = 115.8776 days
 
and with possibly better values, I would now calculate this as
P = 87.96934
E = 365.256363
sp = 1/(1/P-1/E) = 115.877623

and some other references have concurred with this datum