What is the synodic period of Mercury?

In summary, the synodic period of Mercury, which is the time it takes for the planet to return to the same position relative to Earth, is approximately 115.88 days. While some sources may round this number to 115.877 days, others prefer a more precise value of 115.8776 days. Regardless, the average synodic period of Mercury can be calculated using the orbital period of Mercury and Earth, and most sources agree on a value around 115.88 days.
Helios
What is the synodic period of Mercury? What is the average synodic period of Mercury? I have combed the internet. Some sources use a number around

115.877484 days and they seem sure of themselves.

I don't own astronomy references. Help please

Astronomy news on Phys.org
That page just gives

115.88 days

and I have a feeling that this is a rounded-off number.

You can calculate the synoptic period from the orbital period of mercury and Earth
E = Earth sidereal year
P = Other planet sidereal year
Then sp = 1/(1/E-1/P)

I would calculate this as ( correcting mgb's equation )
P = 87.9691
E = 365.256363
sp = 1/(1/P-1/E) = 115.8772

However, a lot of internet sources, even encyclopedic ones, have a preference for

sp = 115.8776 days

and with possibly better values, I would now calculate this as
P = 87.96934
E = 365.256363
sp = 1/(1/P-1/E) = 115.877623

and some other references have concurred with this datum

Related to What is the synodic period of Mercury?

What is the synodic period of Mercury?

The synodic period of Mercury refers to the amount of time it takes for the planet Mercury to return to the same position in its orbit relative to the Earth and the Sun. This period is also known as the Mercury year.

How long is the synodic period of Mercury?

The synodic period of Mercury lasts for approximately 116 days. This is much shorter than the Earth's synodic period with Mercury, which is 365.24 days.

What causes the synodic period of Mercury?

The synodic period of Mercury is caused by the planet's orbital motion around the Sun, as well as the Earth's own orbit. This results in Mercury appearing to move backward in its orbit relative to the Earth, which is known as retrograde motion.

What is the significance of the synodic period of Mercury?

The synodic period of Mercury is significant because it allows scientists to track and study the planet's movements and changes over time. It also helps astronomers to predict when Mercury will appear in the night sky, making it easier to observe and study.

How does the synodic period of Mercury compare to other planets?

The synodic period of Mercury is the shortest among all the planets in our solar system. The synodic period of Venus, the planet with the second-shortest period, is approximately 584 days, while the synodic period of Mars is about 780 days.