What Is the Temperature of Water in Kettle 1?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
ande
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
1. Please see the attachments for my attempts at answering the question.

forum question.PNG


Please note that this is not a homework question as the answers are provided. I just want to know how to get there. Thanks in advance.
 
Attachments
  • WP_20150329_14_25_00_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150329_14_25_00_Pro.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 608
  • WP_20150329_14_40_22_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150329_14_40_22_Pro.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 592
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure how you're interpreting the second question. My interpretation is:
  • The 20% of power that was not useful in the first part includes the heat required to raise the kettle to 90C.
  • In the second part, the hot 1 litre of water is poured out and a second litre of water at 15C is poured in.
  • The wasted heat is less the second time because the kettle itself starts hot.
Your attachments are not easy to read. They come out side-on and the writing is a bit small. The ability to add images is really intended for diagrams and extracts from printed matter. Please take the trouble to type in working.
 
I have the same question in my study guide and I get 10 min and 7 seconds for part b
 
DevonZA said:
I have the same question in my study guide and I get 10 min and 7 seconds for part b
I get 11, 58 for part a, but maybe 4.2 J per Calorie is not accurate enough. For part b I get 10, 24.
Please post your working.
 
haruspex said:
I get 11, 58 for part a, but maybe 4.2 J per Calorie is not accurate enough. For part b I get 10, 24.
Please post your working.

1000g-150g = 850g

Eout = mct
= (.85)(4190)(75)
= 267112.5J

Ein = Eout/efficiency
= 267112.5/0.8
= 333890.625Jtime = Ein/Pin
= 333890.625/550
= 607s = 10 min and 7 sec
 
DevonZA said:
1000g-150g = 850g

Eout = mct
= (.85)(4190)(75)
= 267112.5J

Ein = Eout/efficiency
= 267112.5/0.8
= 333890.625Jtime = Ein/Pin
= 333890.625/550
= 607s = 10 min and 7 sec
Why do you subtract 150 from 1000?
 
haruspex said:
Why do you subtract 150 from 1000?

The question states that the water equivalent of the kettle is 150g. 1 litre = 1000g. Therefore the kettle only needs to heat 1000g-150g=850g for the second litre of water. I'm not sure if I'm correct though.
 
DevonZA said:
The question states that the water equivalent of the kettle is 150g. 1 litre = 1000g. Therefore the kettle only needs to heat 1000g-150g=850g for the second litre of water.
There's a litre of water in both cases. The kettle is additional to that.
You need to think about where the other 20% of the power goes. In each case, the equation takes the form:
energy in = energy to heat water + energy to heat kettle + energy lost to room/air
Assign symbols to those (distinguishing a and b) and write the equation for each using the given data.