What is the tension in the stretched rope?

In summary, a rope of negligible mass is stretched between two supports 3.44 meters apart. When an object weighing 3160 N is hung at the center of the rope, the rope sags by 35.0 cm. To find the tension in the rope, one can use trigonometry to resolve the downward force into a component along the string direction. This can be done by drawing a triangle and solving for the component of force along the string direction. The correct answer is 7920 N.
fiziksfun
1. A rope of negligible mass is stretched horizontally between two supports that are 3.44 meters apart. When an object of weight 3160 N is hung at the center of the rope, the is observed to sag by 35.0 cm. What is the tension in the rope?

2. Does this have anything to do with torque??

3. ATTEMPTS:

I divided 3.44 by 2 (1.72) to find the horizontal length from one support to the object. From that I found that the length of the rope from the object to one of the supports is 1.72^2 + .35^2 = X^2 (it's a triangle), x=1.75

I can assume because the object is in the center of the rope that the tension on both sides of the rope is equal. Can I also assume the forces sum to 0 because its stagnant? BAH I'm so confused, I don't know what to do!
The correct answer is 7920. Help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can solve this problem using trigonometry. You know the downward force. Draw a triangle resolving that force into a component along the string and one at right angles to the string. Then you can solve for the component of force along the string direction.

(BTW, future posts like these should go into Intro Physics...)

I'm sorry I still don't understand. I found the angle from the horizontal is 78 degrees. But when I do H*sin78=3160, I don't get the right answer.. I'm terribly confused.

What is the tension in the stretched rope?

The tension in a stretched rope refers to the force that is applied to the rope in order to keep it taut. It is the force that is transmitted through the rope's length and is responsible for maintaining its shape and preventing it from breaking.

How is tension calculated in a stretched rope?

The tension in a stretched rope can be calculated using the equation T = F/A, where T is the tension, F is the force applied to the rope, and A is the cross-sectional area of the rope. This equation is derived from Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration.

What factors affect the tension in a stretched rope?

The tension in a stretched rope can be affected by several factors, including the magnitude of the applied force, the length and thickness of the rope, the material of the rope, and the angle at which the rope is being pulled. These factors can all impact the amount of tension that the rope is able to withstand.

What happens if the tension in a stretched rope exceeds its limit?

If the tension in a stretched rope exceeds its limit, the rope will begin to deform and eventually break. This is because the internal forces within the rope are no longer able to counteract the external forces being applied to it. It is important to carefully consider the tension in a rope before applying force, in order to prevent damage or injury.

How can tension in a stretched rope be adjusted?

The tension in a stretched rope can be adjusted by either increasing or decreasing the applied force. Additionally, changing the angle at which the rope is being pulled can also affect the tension. In some cases, using a thicker or stronger rope may be necessary to withstand higher levels of tension.