What is the upward acceleration of M2 in this system with given forces and mass?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
ganondorf29
Messages
49
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Mass m1=31.7 kg is on a horizontal surface, connected to mass m2= 5.30 kg by a light string as shown. The pulley has negligible mass and no friction. A force of 216.9 N acts on m1 at an angle of 29.3deg. The coefficient of kinetic friction between m1 and the surface is 0.221. Determine the upward acceleration of m2.

physicsprblm.jpg

Homework Equations


F=ma
Fn = mg-Fsin(theta)
Fcos(theta)-(uk)(Fn) = ma

The Attempt at a Solution


First I found the normal force of M1. Fn = mg-Fsin(theta). I found Fn to be 204.513 N. Next, I found the acceleration of M1 by using [Fcos(theta)-(uk)(Fn)] / m = a. I got ax to be 4.54 m/s^2. I assumed that the acceleration would be the same for M2 but its not.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot to consider the string tension acting on the block. (The accelerations of M1 and M2 must be the same--they are connected by a string.)